Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Piece of dowel rod in cylinder (Read 720 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Piece of dowel rod in cylinder
11/16/23 at 15:18:18

I win the dumbass of the day award!!  Trying to find TDC, I broke off a 1/4" round piece of dowel rod into the cylinder threw the spark plug hole!  Way to go Paul!!

The dowel rod somehow got 'bit' coming around to find TDC.  It's about 1/4" round and maybe 3/8"-1/2" long.  I almost got lucky fishing it out with a pick and narrow hemostats as it was still visible and kind of still hung up in the spark plug hole.  But alas, it broke free and is now floating around on top of the piston somewhere.  I've shook and rocked the bike trying to regain visibility, but no luck.  I tried a small vacuum but couldn't get good clean suction with the attachment I tried.  I can try compressed air, but I think that's just gunna blow it around in circles.

Idea>>>Help...  ????

Motor is sitting at TDC right now....

1) get the exhaust valves open and try to blow it out?
2) pour some gas in there and light it on fire?  (joking...bad idea)
3) leave it in there (ignore it) and hope it burns up and blows out when I get this bike running?  I'm worried about valve, seat, and guide damage if I try this route..

I'm not mechanically inclined enough to pull the head and go through all that.  My Clymers manual arrived today and just reading the process gave me a headache.  Plus, when Clymers tells you to rotate clockwise when it should be counter-clockwise doesn't instill much confidence in their instructions.

The wood is pretty soft and splinters pretty easily (why I couldn't really get it out with the pick and hemostats - it keep chipping away, so I got some out).

Joy, joy, joy!!!  Reading on the internet, I'm not the first person to do this exact same thing with a dowel rod looking for TDC.  I've used a straw in the past without issue, but thought I'd "improve" my tool this time... (dumbass!)

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Piece of dowel rod in cylinder
Reply #1 - 11/16/23 at 15:34:03

I would not try to run the bike with it in there.  If it gets stuck under a valve it could hold it open a bit and the piston could smack the valve on the way up.

I would try leaning the bike over to the right side so the spark plug hole is pointing straight up.  Then move the piston near the top...but not high enough to trap the dowel between the head and piston.  Then pour diesel fuel (or light oil) into the cylinder and float the dowel up....hopefully it will be visible through the spark plug hole and you can grab it with tweezers or your forceps.  (Make sure the valves are closed before you fill the cylinder).

Once you are done you need to suck the fluid out of the cylinder.....don't be surprised when the engine smokes the next time you start it (be sure to start it up outside).

One time my uncle was spraying WD340 into a cylinder before he put the car up for the winter.  As he was spraying - the little red tube came loose and went into the cylinder!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - 11/16/23 at 15:43:58

Thanks Dave.  Appreciate the floating it suggestion.  I really don't want to try to run it out.  The trick is to get it visible thru the plug hole.  I've tried level and leaning left and right.  I've run out of patience for today.

I wonder if the diesel fuel would break it down or swell it up...perhaps helping.  or maybe it would soften it up if I end up just taking my chances and leaving it in there.

Argh!

« Last Edit: 11/16/23 at 16:50:02 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 11/16/23 at 15:55:22

Rent a camera that goes through the spark plug hole to see if its on top of the piston. I like the set it on fire idea.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #4 - 11/16/23 at 16:44:23

Hey Och!  It's on top of the piston.  I watched it drop in slooooow motion and slide over to the left side...

The fire idea!  Use my large metal industrial dust pan as a heat shield to protect the wiring and frame above the head, open the exhaust valves to create a flue, add lighter fluid thru plug hole, use a bbq grill flame thrower to ignite, add more lighter fluid as needed, broil at 550 for 10 minutes until estimated well done!  Let cool and blow out with compressed air...   Grin

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/16/23 at 17:01:26

Or just bring the piston down and look with a camera if you can see it?

Stick a torch in there and bbq it

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/16/23 at 17:02:49

I also own a tool like this, its great for retrieving non magnetic parts. Saved me many a times.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #7 - 11/16/23 at 18:04:57

That's cool.  Wonder if it would fit in the spark plug hole. I might have to shop it.  My vertically challenged mother has a similar gadget (but bigger) for grabbing stuff on the top shelf of the pantry.  LOL.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 11/16/23 at 19:02:22

Blow gun , rag , GOGGLES

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #9 - 11/16/23 at 19:04:56

Alien tape on a pencil

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #10 - 11/16/23 at 19:56:02

Another dowel with a drop of Krazy Glue on the end.

« Last Edit: 11/17/23 at 05:45:49 by Armen »  

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 11/17/23 at 03:24:35

I like OCH's idea far better than my "flood the cylinder" idea.......it would be very messy!

The trick with this tool would be getting a grip that would be near the end of the dowel....if you grab it in the middle it won;t come out the hole.

However.......it likely is the quickest, fastest method even if it takes multiple tries.  I still believe you will need to tip the bike over and position the piston so that the dowel falls inline with the spark plug hole.....so that each time you drop i and reach in the dowel has fallen inline with the plug hole.

https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Grabber-Bendable-Reaching-35-4inch/dp/B08D8H1...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 11/17/23 at 04:27:59

Dave wrote on 11/17/23 at 03:24:35:
I like OCH's idea far better than my "flood the cylinder" idea.......it would be very messy!

The trick with this tool would be getting a grip that would be near the end of the dowel....if you grab it in the middle it won;t come out the hole.

However.......it likely is the quickest, fastest method even if it takes multiple tries.  I still believe you will need to tip the bike over and position the piston so that the dowel falls inline with the spark plug hole.....so that each time you drop i and reach in the dowel has fallen inline with the plug hole.

https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Grabber-Bendable-Reaching-35-4inch/dp/B08D8H1...

This one claims diameter of .99cm, I bought one at autozone a year ago, its probably around 7.5mm so it gets into tighter spots.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 11/17/23 at 06:04:14

My buddy did this exact same thing on his Harley.
It was an expensive fix.

Just keep trying... gum or tape on a stick and fish around.
Don't give up.
Don't drop it!

Good luck

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #14 - 11/17/23 at 06:17:24

Thanks everyone and appreciate the sense of humor and knowing I’m not the only dumbass.  I’ve tried the gorilla glue on the end of a dowel rod method, but I can’t get it to stick on the end of the piece of dowel to clear through the plug hole.  It has to come out vertically as it won’t fit longways.  Today is a new day with fresh encouragement!!  Before I try again, I’m going for a ride on my other bike!!  It’s a beautiful day in Houston!  Sorry to all the folks that have to stash your bikes for winter!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 09:32:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Piece of dowel rod in cylinder

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.