Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Mikuni VM36 rebuild kits? (Read 180 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Mikuni VM36 rebuild kits?
Reply #15 - 11/21/23 at 06:21:04

Just FYI - a pic of the "air horn" side of the PWK40 carb.  About the same as the VM36.

Air_Horn_OD.JPEG
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #16 - 11/21/23 at 06:42:47

Here's a pic of an issue I found on "Woody".  The throw (exposed length) of the throttle cable is over 1" too long.  I can only adjust out about 1/2" with the adjuster at the throttle end and this measurement is with it adjusted out about 1/4" at the carb end.  With a different throttle tube, I could probably squeeze out another 3/8".  That's using too many adjusters and part change for my liking to get the free play right.  I'll be trimming the cable about 1" at the carb end and then soldering on a new nipple fitting.  After e-mailing back and forth with Murray and Murray's Carbs, this is the easiest and most cost effective solution.  He wants too much for new custom cable that he didn't get right in the first place.  I ain't playin' that game...

Throttle_Cable_001.jpg
  IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 11/21/23 at 06:50:20

My cable has the same issue, I didn't bother reaching out to the guy, he doesn't seem too concerned with customer service.

There's significant slack/dead zone on the throttle despite having it fully tensioned. Been thinking about just replacing the cable, my soldering skills aren't very well developed.

If you end up soldering it yourself would you mind showing your set up and how to accomplish it?

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #18 - 11/21/23 at 07:01:11

Will do.  I've soldered before, but never a nipple on a throttle cable.  It'll be a good exercise.  If I fail or screw it up, I'll be coughing up bucks for a new cable.

You can buy solderless fittings on Amazon (link below) that work on the throttle tube end of the cable.  They are 5mm which is pretty standard for most throttle tubes.

I can't stand free play slop!!!  Especially like this...It's beyond slop and stretch... (and it really can't be stretch because it's not under a lot of torque - you're just lifting a smooth action lightweight slide in a carb).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W497MVQ/?coliid=I3UXAES101X2XR&colid=1CBXBA6JVIT...

« Last Edit: 11/21/23 at 09:16:43 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 11/21/23 at 14:39:11

Interesting, I wasn't aware these things existed -- I agree w/ you though I'd rather learn how to properly solder cable ends, there's a bunch of YouTube videos about it, seems like a little bit of an art form requiring a delicate touch, and I've been known to be pretty barbaric with the cheapo soldering kits I've come across.

I'll look forward to any updates if you work your way over to that part of the rehab work you're doing.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #20 - 11/21/23 at 16:39:08

I spoke to Murray today.  Maybe you saw my comment before I deleted it.  He asked that I not share his secret sauce on the forum about the jets he installs and how he tunes, so I deleted out of respect (I get where he's coming from).

Let's just say, he installs a larger slow jet than Lancer's prescribed 20 and a significantly smaller main jet than Lancer's prescribed 200.  He installs a 165.  I' feel ok telling you that that since I discovered it myself and just sharing it mostly with you (a fellow Murray carb owner).

What jets do you have installed in yours?  Did you change from what Murray put in there?

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 11/21/23 at 21:09:04

Interesting. I missed the post, I suppose I respect his position but I don't think he's doing anything undiscoverable.

I haven't bothered to check mine when I was in there -- I'm pretty happy with how it is tuned in general, however from what I understand mikuni recommends the air mix screw optimally be out 1 & 1/4-1/2 turns, and my idle seems lean if I turn it out past 1 full turn -- lean in the sense that RPMs will climb, kind of hunts for a happy rpm despite idle speed screw adjustment, backfiring when I hit the kill switchh, all the usual. this does make me think a larger pilot could make sense, but again the bike seems happy now that I've cleaned her up and have properly set the mix screw position. Would really like to fix this derpy throttle cable though.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #22 - 11/22/23 at 12:01:27

I would be very careful soldering cable ends for the Mikuni VM.  Stick to the throttle grip side.  The cable end on the carb slide is not captivated on a VM.  If the cable end pulls off it will run through your engine.  If the cable end fails on the grip end of the cable, it won't harm anything.

You can take up a whole big bunch of that free play by modifying the twist grip to use the second hole in the throttle tube.  There are two holes in the tube for a push/pull setup, but the LS only uses the pull hole.  You can move the cable to the 2nd hole and take up about .5" of free play.

This old post has the specifics.  See replies 16 through 19.  Do it at your own risk.  Worked good for me.  Must make sure there is absolutely no binding.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1625732492

See the two holes.  

Stock_Grip_Holes_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #23 - 11/22/23 at 12:28:00

Thanks Mike.  I was actually talking to my buddy on our ride this morning and he made the same comment about working on the throttle end of the cable rather than the carb end for the very same reason.  Makes total sense!

And I do remember your post about hacksawing the plastic throttle tube between the holes and using the other hole.  I'm a bit concerned it would bind in the front hole.  Plus I already have a new throttle tube and grips I want to use.  The new tube only has 1 hole and its positioned about 1/4" further back from the stop using the guide track.  So it would consume about 1/4" more of the slop.

My total slop right now is about 1.1".  Between the cable adjusters at the throttle and the carb being totally maxed out, I can only take up about 0.8" of the slop.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #24 - 11/22/23 at 12:57:42

Mike, what do you mean it isn't captivated?  Mine is.  It's a bit funky, but it's captivated or trapped.

Run the cable thru the fat hole and slide it over in the groove and it seats in a nicely beveled hole/slot.  Then from the other side (top of slide) there is a disc that sits on top of the e-clip.  The disc has a protruding section that goes in between the feed hole for the cable and the seat hole for the cable.  It keeps the cable from accidentally slipping over if the cable nipple were to come out of its seat.  So, it has a seat for the nipple and the disc with the protruding section that goes in the groove.

I've removed the needle and spring for the photo.

Cable_Trapped_in_Slide.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #25 - 11/22/23 at 13:00:02

View from the inside of the slide where the disc with the protruding "flange" goes in the groove between the cable feed hole and where it seats in the slide.  You have to have 3 hands with tiny fingers to put it all together correctly.

Carb_Slide_Cable.jpeg
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #26 - 11/22/23 at 14:16:56

Paul, if that ferrule pulls off the cable it will drop right into the throat of the carb.  If the engine is running the ferrule is goin straight into the engine.  It is one feature of the VM that I am not fond of.

If a cable end comes off on a PWK, the ferrule is captured inside the slide.  It can’t drop into the Venturi.  On a VM, it’s goin into the engine.

Thank God for this forum.  I broke my foot so I am OOC.  I would be goin nuts if I didn’t have the forum to keep me occupied.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #27 - 11/22/23 at 14:42:25

Ah!  Now I see what you mean!  Nothing to catch the ferrule if it falls off.  Yup, it would get sucked right in there with the wood!!

Good ole Woody!!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #28 - 11/23/23 at 12:18:40

Here is the float needle valve I just purchased that matches what is installed in our carbs.  It has the 3.3mm flow hole.  I didn't like the smaller flow hole in the one that came in the cheap carb kit I bought.  I didn't measure it when I installed it, but it appeared less than 2mm (like 1.5mm maybe).  I'll actually measure it when I install the new 3.3mm float needle valve.

This was the main part I needed in the kit (the old one was worn, didn't seat/close fully, and caused flooding).  I didn't want to risk starving the bike with that little valve that came in the cheap kit (at least I got some new gaskets and o-rings out of the kit).

https://www.activepowersports.com/mikuni-needle-valve-3-3-vm34-39-3-3/?utm_so...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 09:35:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mikuni VM36 rebuild kits?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.