Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Stator Wires Grommet Leak (Read 71 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Stator Wires Grommet Leak
11/15/23 at 05:54:11

I’m starting a new thread here after posting my issue in the wrong forum.  Hopefully, this can help others that encounter this issue and people can add advice and comments below and correct me if I’m wrong.

1) Our bikes have a “wet stator”.  It gets “oil bathed/splashed” apparently for cooling purposes.  This should have been obvious to me, but I’ve become accustomed to replacing stators on little 125cc dirt bikes that have a dry stator.  The clue I missed is that our bikes have a real “generator cover gasket”.

2) Aftermarket stators are a fraction of the cost of an OEM stator.  They apparently are not designed ideally (you get what you pay for) and the stator wires that pass through a grommet (that run to the regulator) are not sealed well and allows for an oil leak.  Photo courtesy of DragBikeMike of a clean install.  And next photo of mine with an RTV silicone patch job.  This patched has failed after “some time”.  I don’t know how long it worked as this is an issue that came with the purchase of my project bike.

I’m going to repatch with some Permatex Ultra Black and see if I can stop the leak.  I’m wide open to better ideas and suggestions!

IMG_3079.png
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Stator Wires Grommet Leak
Reply #1 - 11/15/23 at 06:01:10

And the failed rtv silicone patch job.  Adhesion to the cover is still pretty good, but there is a good sized gap between the wires allowing oil to pass through and leak.  It would make a nice automatic chain lubricator, but I don’t think the drive belt cares for it too much.

IMG_3078.jpeg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 11/15/23 at 07:54:08

to me, a patch on a patch is a leak waiting to happen.

I would remove all patches, clean thoroughly, apply rtv and hope for the best.

if the existing grommet is known to fail, get an oem plug and install as close to oem as possible.

WWW   IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 11/15/23 at 10:33:48

This is likely not where the leak occurs. Just a year ago I went through absolute hell with an oil leak that looked like it originated at the stator plug - I opened it up several times, replaced the gasket several times, then gave up on the gaskets and used RTV silicone instead. All to no avail, I was ready to junk the bike.

And then DragBikeMike suggested to check the starter o-ring. There is a weep hole in the starter cavity that drain directly onto the stator plug, without being aware of this hole there is no way it would occur that it even exists. I'll try to dig the old thread and post a link here, but long story short - after months of downtime, hours of work, and hundreds of dollars in expenses it was 5 minute job to unbolt the starter, replace a 75 cent o-ring and put the starter back in.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/15/23 at 10:38:52

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 11/15/23 at 12:12:04

Thank you Och!  Verslagen touched on the starter o-ring being a possibility yesterday.  I am going to check the starter this afternoon because it was recently replaced by the prior owner.  It may be the source of my leak.  HELP!  Specifically, where does it weep from that it mimics the stator wire grommet location?

Right now I'm still thinking the leak is from the grommet, but I also thought the other day that it was the bottom of the generator case.  I am obviously not 100% sure!  I've cleaned it up, but I'm having a hard time pinpointing the exact location.  The bike isn't running right now and the leak has stopped. But, I know it will start leaking again once the oil starts circulating.

I haven't gone through the grief you did.  Thank God.  I'm hoping everyone's help here saves me!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #6 - 11/15/23 at 12:34:10

It’s dry as a bone (just dirt and a dried up live oak leaf) under the starter and where I now see the weep hole directly above the front part of the drive pulley.  I can see how this would mimic the stator wire grommet leak location.  Second photo is a shot of the o-ring.  It’s there, but it sure looks like it could use a ring that’s 1-2mm fatter/thicker.  But it appears to be doing its job for now.

IMG_3083.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #7 - 11/15/23 at 12:35:51

Starter o-ring photo.  I’d feel better if it filled the grove more completely.

IMG_3081.jpeg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 11/15/23 at 12:47:36

o=ring grooves need to be wider then the o=rings to give room to expand.
they just need to be taller then the groove and the part it should engage.

WWW   IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #9 - 11/15/23 at 13:39:35

Thanks Verslagen.  That makes sense.  I did find a 25 pack of these which are 35mm ID and 41mm OD.  That makes a chubby 6mm thickness if my math is correct and if I understand circumference correctly.  I’m not going to swap out at this point, because I don’t think it’s the source of my leak.  When I redo the rtv silicone, I will mostly remove the old bandage from the outside, but I’m not removing the cover and doing anything from the inside.  I’m pretty sure I see the opening in between the wires and not at the edges of the silicone patch.  I at least want to give this a try before making the extra effort.

IMG_3084.png
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/15/23 at 13:43:03

When I took my starter off it also looked bone dry in there, at least in the cavity - but the o-ring was not snug at all. Apparently there are several versions of the starter, but only one version of the o-ring, and it doesn't fit properly. I purchased three sizes of o-rings, and it was the "medium" size that fit nice and snug. They were sold in packs of 10, so I still have a bunch of them left. PM me your address, I'll put 3 of them in an envelope for you.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 11/15/23 at 14:54:10

Thanks Och!  I will PM you.  I really don’t need 25 and I don’t feel like going to 3 different hardware and automotive stores hunting it down.  I may as well swap out.  It’s an easy 5-10 minute job.  Won’t hurt.  I at least want to compare.  I read you had to use a hammer to get the starter in.  I won’t be doing that.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 11/15/23 at 15:33:15

WWW   IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 11/15/23 at 15:37:14

It was just a light tap with the hammer, nothing crazy.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #14 - 11/16/23 at 05:04:17

I hear ya!  My trusty rubber mallet is never too far away!  Lol

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print