Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 
Send Topic Print
Finn Hammer's Savage (Read 2446 times)
FinnHammer

Denmark
Re: Finn Hammer's Savage
Reply #330 - 07/03/24 at 12:17:51

The finish in the bore is very shiny, with very faint cross hatch. Wonder how that will aid in bedding the piston rings? New flattop piston on the way.
Gotta get rid of that a-clonkin'.

IMG_20240703_204339_NR.jpg

An expert is a person who has made all possible mistakes within a narrow field - Niels Bohr
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #331 - 07/04/24 at 03:43:40

Well isn't that cool!  I have never seen a brand new cylinder - only well used ones!

It will be interesting to see how much difference it makes - and what kind of wear patterns are on the piston/cylinder you remove.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #332 - 07/04/24 at 12:44:31

The cylinder I use had a lot of wear, as displayed by the diameter step, up high where the piston rings reverse direction.
I had to hone that step away, because the flat top piston rides higher in the cylinder, and I did not want the piston rings of the new piston to hit that step. I used 160 grit stones to do it.
This created a rather coarse cylinder surface, and frankly now I fear that it wore the piston down before setting into a smooth surface.

So I am also very interested in pulling the head off and see the surface.
I will not have time to do it before winter, probably.

An expert is a person who has made all possible mistakes within a narrow field - Niels Bohr
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #333 - 07/04/24 at 12:51:36

FinnHammer wrote on 07/04/24 at 12:44:31:
So I am also very interested in pulling the head off and see the surface.
I will not have time to do it before winter, probably.

Well dang!  I have a few rainy days here, and I have decided to pull my 95mm Wiseco DR650 piston out and try the 94mm Flat Top.  I was curious what kind of clearance you had.......I will go back into this thread and see if you listed it earler.

My cylinder was not too bad, and I can get a 0.003" feeler gauge in with a bit of coaxing (it doesn't just drop right through) - I cannot get a 0.004" feeler gauge in.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #334 - Yesterday at 02:17:26

You will find it at the bottom of page 10 in this thread

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #335 - Yesterday at 23:02:47

Finn, the clearance you recorded previously seems OK to me, but you never can tell.  It will be very interesting to see what sort of clearance you end up with.  A brand-new OEM cylinder matched with a new Wiseco forged piston, I don't think that combination has been tried yet.  Let us know what you end up with.

This noise seems to have you worried.  Not having the benefit of actually hearing the noise, I can only speculate.  But your clearance recorded previously was not unreasonable.  However, you did report that you massaged the top of the cylinder vigorously with a 160 grit.  I don't think your previous readings reflect that area.  The new OEM cylinder should be straight as an arrow, and the new Wiseco piston should fit in there nicely.  If anything, you will need to be concerned about too little clearance.  Quick & dirty checks with a .0025" feeler gage will be in order.

As I recall, you did some unorthodox stuff when you set up your 13-plate clutch, and you also converted to the overdrive oil pump gears.  Is there any chance that the offending noise is coming from the clutch or the oil pump drive?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/06/24 at 01:59:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Finn Hammer's Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.