Send Topic Print
Starting trouble (Read 30 times)
My1973vw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Starting trouble
10/18/23 at 14:00:10

'06 s40, about 9,300 mi I'm 2nd(?) owner.
Lights on, clutch in, stand down, hit button, ....click. (lights go out when  start button pressed, return when released)
Check battery,  fully charged.

Since I was out on a ride, it was suggested to short across the starter solenoid. Did so and it started right up.

Possible bad solenoid, right? So, replaced it.
Rode fine two weeks then same activity.

I've looked at the wiring diagram (for an '04) and I know there is more in the ignition circuit but I'm not sure what else to check.

Suggestions?

TBH I added a short switch to the solenoid so I  could keep riding but with the season coming to a close I figured it was time to actually fix things.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Starting trouble
Reply #1 - 10/18/23 at 15:00:59

Yup lights out on starting is normal.
There are several connections you can check to verify proper operation.
1st is the clutch safety. Pull the connector and 1 of the wires will go to 12v when you push the starter button.
2nd is under the tank the decomp/starter controller. Pull the controller and check the wire coming from the starter button. Should go to 12v.
3rd is the relay there are 2 small connectors black with a white stripe goes to ground. Pull the other one up a bit and it should go to 12v when you press the starter button.
Also check the ground strap connection to the engine. It can get dirty or loose.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 09:27:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starting trouble

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.