Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2007 S40 leaking white smoke @ exhaust header (Read 53 times)
ProjectSB350
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

2007 S40 leaking white smoke @ exhaust header
10/17/23 at 08:52:20

hey y’all.

I tried riding it down the block for the first time last week, it started fine then revved high and died, I tried and again and the same thing. I noticed a little while smoke coming from where the exhaust header connects to the engine. I’m not sure if the two are related or not but I would like to find out so I don’t destroy the engine or tear it apart for no reason! It idles fine but probably idles too low, I just don’t have a good reference point for it. I’ll try attaching a link to Imgur with the video on it. Any help is approciated!

https://imgur.com/a/8GR2sE7

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: 2007 S40 leaking white smoke @ exhaust header
Reply #1 - 10/17/23 at 09:34:07

Could be an exhaust leak or oil burning off.
Pull the header and check for black carbon then replace the gasket

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 10/17/23 at 11:49:07

Check your oil and see if it smells like gas. If there is gas in the oil it will vaporize just as you describe.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 10/17/23 at 11:57:16

Looks like burn off , head plug leaking oil. Unless you just washed it ,then it’s steam. Steam or smoke ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ProjectSB350
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/17/23 at 12:27:47

I pulled it off and this is exactly how it came off. I didn't see any gasket or anything.

1_016.jpg
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 10/17/23 at 15:38:30

I see your gasket.  It's a spiral wound gasket.  You can see the end of the spiral in this markup.  Looks OK to me.  I think you just have an oil leak (probably head plug as previously mentioned), or residual oil on the engine and head pipe.

The interior of your exhaust port looks pretty wet.  That area is typically dry with a coat of black carbon, sort of like black velvet.  Yours looks like it is oily.  I would run it for a while and recheck.  Is there white smoke coming out of your tail pipe?

Spiral_Wound_Gasket.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ProjectSB350
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/17/23 at 17:38:39

DragBikeMike wrote on 10/17/23 at 15:38:30:
I see your gasket.  It's a spiral wound gasket.  You can see the end of the spiral in this markup.  Looks OK to me.  I think you just have an oil leak (probably head plug as previously mentioned), or residual oil on the engine and head pipe.

The interior of your exhaust port looks pretty wet.  That area is typically dry with a coat of black carbon, sort of like black velvet.  Yours looks like it is oily.  I would run it for a while and recheck.  Is there white smoke coming out of your tail pipe?

Okay, I'll open it up and take a look. I saw that I could use some gasket RTV to seal it in place. Do I need to replace it as well?

There is no smoke coming from the end of the tailpipe, is there a chance the reason it sputters and dies when giving it throttle is caused by that as well?

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/17/23 at 19:28:17

I'm following Gary's lead on this one.

The stalling sounds like the classic failed fuel petcock.  It is a common problem on these.  It is also the main reason gas will get mixed into the engine oil and could also explain the wet exhaust port DBM pointed out.

Is it a stock petcock?  

Also, when did the problem start?
Is this a new problem? 
How old is the bike?  
How long have you had it?
Did it sit for a long time?

The smoke could be from the oil leak (things DON"T look wet) or gas in your oil.  Either way, your video clearly shows an exhaust leak and there appears to be evidence of exhaust blow-by in your pictures.  The smoke is being pushed away from its source.  

The idle is not alarmingly low.  I think 1100 rpm is spec and that equates to 550 bpm.

« Last Edit: 10/17/23 at 20:38:15 by ohiomoto »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 07:18:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2007 S40 leaking white smoke @ exhaust header

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.