Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Puke tube (Read 101 times)
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Puke tube
10/16/23 at 05:35:15

My '05 is running pretty well; however, I see a lot of oil and gas mixture coming from the puke tube.  The manual petcock works properly as I have a tygon fuel line and I can see the fuel.  I turn it off, when I am not going to ride it.  I'm guessing I have a problem with the float, does that sound about right?  Thanks

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Puke tube
Reply #1 - 10/16/23 at 05:53:26

I would be concerned about the amount of gas in the puke tube which I have to assume you mean the breather tube. At that point it’s already in the crank case and mixing with oil.

The float valve may be the problem but if not then you may have it jetted too rich

WWW   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #2 - 10/16/23 at 06:14:47

Yeah, I dumbed the oil and it was filled with gas.  I was hoping it was a fluke, but this is a problem that is not going away.  It was jetted on the rich years ago.  It ran really well, and I didn't have any issues.  That was years ago though.   Thanks

Best regards,

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 10/16/23 at 06:55:21

Now wait a minute...
The Breather tube is a fatty coming off the top right side of the head.
The puke tube hangs down from the airbox under the bike.

Which is it?

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 10/16/23 at 07:30:49

I was referring to the one at the bottom of the bike.  With that said, I replace the tube on the top of the engine and I didn’t have a clamp.  I get lots I’d residual oil on that side of the engine.  Thanks

Best regards,

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/16/23 at 17:14:39

My guess: Faulty petcock (even manual petcocks can fail, verify its operation), worn float needle, float level needs adjusted, bad or leaking float..

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #6 - 10/18/23 at 04:58:12

ohiomoto wrote on 10/16/23 at 17:14:39:
My guess: Faulty petcock (even manual petcocks can fail, verify its operation), worn float needle, float level needs adjusted, bad or leaking float..

Thanks to all for your assistance.  I'm pretty sure the petcock is ok.  I didn't like the condition of the float the last time I cleaned the carb.  I ordered a new one and I will need to check the height.  Is it common for float needles go bad?

Best regards,

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 10/18/23 at 06:30:46

Yup, on all bikes.  Over time that little rubber tip hardens and no longer seals.
Sometimes you can just clean the needle and seat, but when it gets hard, it's over.
Modern gas.... don't cha' love it?

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/18/23 at 16:09:21

pg wrote on 10/18/23 at 04:58:12:
Thanks to all for your assistance.  I'm pretty sure the petcock is ok.  I didn't like the condition of the float the last time I cleaned the carb.  I ordered a new one and I will need to check the height.  Is it common for float needles go bad?

Best regards,
----------------

I could tell you a story about the last time someone said "I'm pretty sure..." to me.  Grin

It's not hard to test the petcock.  Pull the hose and make sure it works. Even a small drip when it's off is going to feed the float bowl. May as well do it while you wait for the float.  

I wouldn't say it's common to wear out a needle. I've only replaced one or two in my lifetime.  You will see a groove worn into the rubber on the needle's tip.  

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #9 - 10/18/23 at 18:47:25

The reason I thnik the petcock is working ok is because it has a translucent  tygon fuel hose to a fuel filter.  I can see what is going on.  Also, I cut off the fuel and let it sit for 5 or 6 weeks and didn't have any issues.  

The float shipped out and I need to double check on how to measure height.    I'll drop a note with an update after I dig in.

Best regards,

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 10/18/23 at 19:25:47

Gotcha.  I forgot you had mentioned that. If you are keeping fuel in the line, the float isn't leaking unless the petcock has a slow leak that you aren't seeing.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 10/19/23 at 03:46:21

I haven't seen anyone mention the vacuum tube from the carb to the pecock.  After a while the ethanol fuel negatively affects the diaphragm in the petcock.  Some of them get stiff and stop functioning - some get holes and start leaking fuel into the vent tube.

Take the vent tube off and see if there is fuel in it.  If it is wet or smells like fuel - that is an indication that the diaphragm is leaking.  You can do a test by disconnecting the vent tube and plugging the carb nipple - then set the petcock to prime so the bike will get fuel and run.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 10/19/23 at 18:51:46

He said he has a manual petcock which is what the raptor is.  I assume that's what he meant.  I hate it when I assume something.  lol

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 10/20/23 at 05:59:23

ohiomoto wrote on 10/19/23 at 18:51:46:
He said he has a manual petcock which is what the raptor is.  I assume that's what he meant.  I hate it when I assume something.  lol

Oooops.....my bad!  Somehow I missed that.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #14 - 10/22/23 at 12:24:49

I opened up the carb and the old float didn't look too good, it was sitting just out of spec.   I put the new one in a made sure it sat in the middle of their recommendation.  It started up and idled a lot easier.  I don't foresee any issues moving forward.  

Best regards,

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 09:27:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Puke tube

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.