Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Starter area rattle (Read 45 times)
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Starter area rattle
10/12/23 at 01:41:09

Hey guys. I have already upgraded the starter gear assembly and side cover on my 1987. But After a 45-minute ride, I began hearing some rattling from the starter cover when revving. It sounds like a small part causing the rattle. I made up a new gasket and will open it up tomorrow and dig deeper.
I have also noticed a loud rattle sound that lasts about 2 seconds after I release te starter button each morning when I ride.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Starter area rattle
Reply #1 - 10/12/23 at 06:21:27

How did you do the upgrade?
Stock parts or did you have it machined?

As long as you have have the washers in the right place I don’t know why it would be rattling. The only thing I can think of is that the relay is sticking and the starter is over running.

WWW   IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/12/23 at 14:24:02

I bought a newer cover and replaced all the gear.s I'll open it up today and report back. I have been making my own gaskets for a while and I wonder if the gasket thickness being off may have contributed.

IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/12/23 at 14:26:13

Oh my god. I replaced the stator/generator a few months ago and I forgot to replace the washers on the upgraded gear when I put it back together. That might have caused the issue. Idiot

IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/15/23 at 23:01:12

Update. Removed the cover and replaced the 2 shims on the second starter gear. The rattle is gone—hopefully no permanent damage.

One other thing, this bike has always had a little rattle for 1 or 2 seconds after starting in the starter area which is still present. Soes anyone else have this ?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 07:25:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starter area rattle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.