Send Topic Print
Ignition switch (Read 71 times)
Melissa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ignition switch
10/06/23 at 06:36:51

Hello everyone, I'm a new rider and recently bought a 1995 Savage as my first bike. I'm hoping to gain some knowledge from all you fine folks on this beautiful little machine. My first question is about the ignition switch. The person I purchased the bike from lost the keys to the bike and installed a toggle switch, because it was garage kept and only used around his farm (yes a title was provided and transferred into my name with matching VIN numbers, so no it was not stolen) the 4 prong connector is still present. Were the ignition switch screwed into the frame it looks like it was broken so I'm not sure exactly how to reattach the switch in the same spot. Also, the toggle switch has a black wire running to it from the positive side of the battery (right side) joining with the red wire that went to the ignition switch. Does a new ignition switch need to be touching the frame in the same spot to get ground? Any insights on installing a new switch, would like to be able to ride to work and stores without giving free access to take it. Thanks for any help!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Ignition switch
Reply #1 - 10/06/23 at 07:11:15

Melissa wrote on 10/06/23 at 06:36:51:
Were the ignition switch screwed into the frame it looks like it was broken so I'm not sure exactly how to reattach the switch in the same spot.

It just screws to 1 of the holes shown near the switch.
Quote:
Also, the toggle switch has a black wire running to it from the positive side of the battery (right side) joining with the red wire that went to the ignition switch.

Just remove this wire.
Quote:
Does a new ignition switch need to be touching the frame in the same spot to get ground?

No, some have remounted it elsewhere.

The gas cap, ignition, toolbox and helmet locks all are keyed to same key normally.  If you have the old switch, take it to a locksmith and they should be able to make a key.  If it still has the black strip on the bottom, you might be able to see the number.  If so, you can order a key over the internet.

WWW   IP Logged
Melissa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/06/23 at 08:36:09

Thank you verslagen for the quick response, so I can remount the switch anywhere as long as it's touching the frame somewhwere to get ground? I unfortunately don't have the original ignition, the gas cap is rigged to work with any key.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 10/06/23 at 10:17:39

Ignition switches can be had fairly cheap on Amazon , if you don’t mind having different keys.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/06/23 at 10:22:54

Melissa wrote on 10/06/23 at 08:36:09:
Thank you verslagen for the quick response, so I can remount the switch anywhere as long as it's touching the frame somewhwere to get ground? I unfortunately don't have the original ignition, the gas cap is rigged to work with any key.  

No ground needed.

I have an extra ig switch and 1 with an extended pig tail, but no keys.

WWW   IP Logged
Melissa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/06/23 at 11:23:06

Thanks for the response Ruttly, I had actually purchased an off brand one from Amazon about a month ago. I think it was a Tuzliufi. When I plugged it into the 4 pin connector I got no power or anything. Someone said it was because it wasn't installed and grounded to metal and that the black wire was what was grounding the toggle switch. So I was never positive if it was a faulty switch or just not installed properly. I found this forum and decided to see what others suggested.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 10/09/23 at 05:34:28

The switch assembly does not need to be grounded. There is no path to ground from any of the 4 pins within the harness.

You should be able to simply unplug the farmers switch, and reconnect your new switch. It is very (VERY) possible that the aftermarket switch doesn't work or isn't compatable with the S40. If you have a multimeter you can confirm continuity through the connector. If not, take Ruttly up on his offer.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 07:21:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ignition switch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!