Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
My 2015 "de-cruiserized" (Read 278 times)
Bob Scogin

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: My 2015 "de-cruiserized"
Reply #15 - 10/05/23 at 19:29:57

Mike D T wrote on 10/05/23 at 15:33:22:
Nice job, Bob. Did you fit taller shocks with the 18" tires? Also, any more pix?
Cheers!
Mike

The shocks are still the stock 10.5" ones, but I'd like to find some 11.5" eye to eye. Progressive 412's would be at the top of my list but given the price of any quality shock, I'm having trouble pulling the trigger. Here a photo of the seat. The bars are from a 2008 Triumph Bonneville that I once owned.

IMG_1254.JPG
  IP Logged
Bob Scogin

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 10/05/23 at 19:35:16

DragBikeMike wrote on 10/05/23 at 10:42:34:
 I imagine those mid controls really reduce the fatigue on your back.  Allows you to take most of the jolt through your legs rather than your spine.  My little Savage beats me up pretty bad.

The "standard" riding position completely transforms the bike. Finally, my 6'-2" frame fits on it comfortably. Having the feeling of more control has me riding it a little harder, and the suspension is showing its limitations now.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #17 - 10/06/23 at 10:50:36

I know there is a few here that would teach me a few things on their stock Savage with forward controls. But they aren’t for me, there is a drastic amount of control lost with forward controls. Only one factor does it for me l have to be able to stand on my pegs when needed. To attack obstacles , ride over something or just a big bump. Even with my rear sets a tad high I stand on my pegs just to take a load off the old hip or going over a curb. Being able to weight or remove weight from pegs offers control a stocker can only dream of. My butt/hip hurts after a ride but lower back loves riding position , wide bars offer great control and very comfy , I’m good for 1-2 hours and still get off smiling , stiff but glad I was gifted with another nice long ride.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Bob Scogin

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 10/07/23 at 11:08:54

Those of you who have done the mid-controls conversion know the stock belt cover no longer fits. I didn't want to cut up the stock one, so---

IMG_1255.JPG
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #19 - 10/08/23 at 12:02:30

'De-cruisered' is the way to go. Sitting taller, a bit of forward lean, much better control in corners. It really transforms this bike. Handling with 18" front wheel is a big bonus!

IP Logged
Bob Scogin

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 10/08/23 at 17:30:35

zipidachimp wrote on 10/08/23 at 12:02:30:
'De-cruisered' is the way to go. Sitting taller, a bit of forward lean, much better control in corners. It really transforms this bike. Handling with 18" front wheel is a big bonus!

Yes, everything about it is better. I'd still like to improve the suspension and sharpen the turning. Looking at some Progressive 412 11.5" shocks. They'll probably finish off whatever money I allocated to his project, so although I'd like an 18" in the front, it's probably not in the cards.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #21 - 10/09/23 at 12:01:24

Buchanan's in LA did my front wheel. $550 delivered. Worth every penny.
Dropping the front end 30mm using a 'DC Motive' top tree can get you an improvement for $160. Worth it!
Cheers!  Cool
ps: I went tubeless on the rear with a GS450 cast wheel 16". Straight swap.

IP Logged
miatamarty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 10/09/23 at 14:44:59

I put some 11 1/2 inch progressive shocks on. Much less truck like steering. I have a sprung bobber 13in wide seat . My butt really likes it.  Got a whole bobber kit from Blue Collar Bobbers. I even put floor boards on it for more foot positions. A few years ago I replaced both knees so the floorboards give more options to squirm around with.

IP Logged
Bob Scogin

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 10/10/23 at 10:17:03

miatamarty wrote on 10/09/23 at 14:44:59:
I put some 11 1/2 inch progressive shocks on. Much less truck like steering.

What's your weight, and what spring rate did you choose for the Progressive shocks?

IP Logged
miatamarty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 10/11/23 at 09:39:27

I weigh 220lbs.  got 115-155 spring rate. Preload set on one step down from full stiff. #412-4201c. Stiffer is not better with such a light bike. Weights about 330lbs with bobber kit.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #25 - 10/11/23 at 17:01:04

Bob, I put a set of the 412s on mine.  To be honest, the ride quality is not a huge improvement over stock.  It's a little better but still pretty darned harsh.  I've tried two different sets of springs.

However, the handling was improved a lot.  I believe I installed one inch longer shocks.  It made a big difference in handling.

This old post provides a lot of info on the 412 shocks, along with my experience with setting up the front forks.  I tried to follow Gary's direction as far as setting up the suspension and it worked pretty good, but I did it on the cheap.  You can improve the thing a bit without spending a ton of money.  As I mentioned, the biggest plus was in the handling department.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1633394130

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Bob Scogin

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 10/12/23 at 10:22:33

Thanks for the input on suspension mods, guys. Very useful!

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #27 - 10/12/23 at 14:03:02

I just cut the lower corner off the stock sprocket cover for clearance.  I also shortened the chain guard.

20220528_1358501_001.jpg

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker (destroyed by fire)
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribut
  IP Logged
Mike D T
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 12/04/23 at 16:09:36

Nice job, Bob. I recently semi-decruizerized my new-to-me 2007 s40. Key changes included:

- slightly taller 140/90/15 tire on the back
- 12.5" Drag Specialties rear shocks (purportedly made by Progressive, but cheeeeper)
- Dyna muffler
- usual modifications to the belt protectors to accommodate the taller shocks

I followed the recommendations made in other threads for both the Dyna muffler fitment and the various adjustments to make the taller shocks fit. Muchas gracias to the forum for all that - super helpful.

I got a local muffler shop to get a 4" bit of 1.75" pipe to help connect the metric header pipe to the SAE Dyna muffler. The muffler shop kindly modified the 4" piece of pipe by putting a 10-degree bend in the middle, expanding one end to fit nicely over the header, and reducing the other end to fit inside the muffler. Took him about 15min and he refused to charge me! That never happens these days - it's a nice feeling, and very grateful future muffler customer.

Anyway the end result is a substantially altered geometry, much more like a standard motorcycle. I have not touched the seat or bars, but that may change as I ride the bike more.

Also have to add that with the Dyna muffler I don't really get those loud backfires I used to get with the stock muffler, and my feeling is the bike runs better. I have not altered the carb settings/jets at all from stock.

Cheers all!
Mike

IP Logged
Mike D T
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 12/04/23 at 19:21:27

I will further add that the Drag Specialties shocks were specifically Drag Specialties Shock Absorbers Standard - 12.5" - Black - 1310-1836 (I guess that's the stock number) from Fortnine.ca. Cost $300 Canadian samolians, or oh I dunno, about 5 bucks USD? Wink

They look like these ones from lowbrowcustoms - https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/products/drag-specialties-replacement-shocks-1...

Scott, I would have replied to your direct message but apparently I am barred from sending direct messages until I have made 10 posts. Hopefully you will see this.

Mike

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 07:23:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My 2015 "de-cruiserized"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.