Send Topic Print
LED conversion (Read 32 times)
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LED conversion
10/01/23 at 21:48:30

HI guys.

Im tired of bulbs and want to go to LED indicators and tail lights. I have an LED flasher relay. What else am I going to need to make sure this works on my 1987? Im about to order the indicators

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: LED conversion
Reply #1 - 10/01/23 at 22:21:07

anything with a common LED in it won't be bright enough.
go for the stuff they put in headlights.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: LED conversion
Reply #2 - 10/02/23 at 03:43:11

For the tail/brake light - I have had some success with the 1157 LED bulb replacements.....and a few that have not been successful.  The issue is that the light can be emitted in a different way than the filament bulb, and it sometimes doesn't use the reflector effectively.  The stock 1157 bulb emits a lot of light in all directions - some LED bulbs don't emit light out the end very well, and the bulb length can be different so that the light coming out the sides does not hit the reflector properly.

The Sylvania bulbs that you can buy at the Big Box and auto parts stores are really  pretty useless.  They emit no light out the top, and the light is only emitted from 2 chips on opposite sides.  They have not worked well in any light housing I have tried them in.  You can try LED bulbs from SuperBrighthttp:.  The 1157 bulb will work in the tail/brake light, as well as the front running lamps.....get the white bulbs.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle-lights/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/...

For the rear turn signals you will need a 1156 type replacement LED.  Pick one that has the most Lumens...the first one on this list appears to be pretty dim.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle-lights/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/...

For the headlight you need an H4 bulb.  These bulbs can be much brighter than the stock filament bulb.  You need to avoid getting a cheap one as the lght control can be horrible.  I really like the bulbs offered by Lasfit - they are very affordable and their customer service is excellent.  The only downside with them is they don't cater to motorcycle use and the bulbs only come in pairs.  You will have an extra bulb you can keep as a spare or sell the extra one on the forum.
https://www.lasfit.com/products/h4-9003-hb2-led-headlight-high-low-beam-la-se...

I can guarantee the headlight will be brighter - I can't guarantee the turn signal/brake lights will be.  For durability I have had good luck with LED's, the only time I had one burn out was in my Pontiac where the back of the headlight was in the engine compartment heat and it had metal strips for cooling - I believe the engine heat reduce the life of the bulb.  I also had a cheap Chinese headlight bulb disintegrate in my Honda Trail 110 within an hour - the vibration caused the bulb to disassemble itself.

MMRanch had really good front running lamps on his Savage.  He installed clear turn signal lenses and installed LED bulbs that he bought from eBay that had white running lights and yellow turns signals in the same bulb.  I don't know what brand of bulb he bought - but it worked well and the white light improved his visibility over the yellow running lights.

Stay away from any cheap bulbs or turn signal replacement units that use a lot of tiny LED's.  The small LED emiiters are not bright enough to be seen in daylight or sunlight....doesn't matter how many they install in the bulb - they just aren't bright.    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 01:24:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LED conversion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.