Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Replacing Forks (Read 43 times)
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Replacing Forks
09/28/23 at 18:28:23

Hi all,

My 86 savage has been sitting in the garage for a few years untouched.  The plan was to chop it and do a hard tail build.  I haven't done anything towards that yet, but I'm looking at how difficult that would be...

The forks are toast.  Pitted and leaking and always have been.  Tires are toast too.  Dry rotted and bald.  Since I have this "opportunity", what would be involved with replacing the forks with something from another bike?  I assume I could find some more modern forks at a good price used.  

I have a machine shop in my garage with a welder, lathe, and CNC mill, so I'm okay with fabricating parts.  I know there's some specific angles in the steering geometry, so I assume I can't just get any used fork off ebay.

Thanks!

1986 Savage, 18k Miles. Cone air filter, drilled & wrapped exhaust. Stock carb and jets. Daily commute bike.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Replacing Forks
Reply #1 - 09/28/23 at 20:33:28

There are many ways to do it, easiest being using a complete front end. Find a common sized set of head bearings and you're half way home.

Decide what wheel you want to use, axle size, how to set up the brake.

80's GS series bikes use a common head bearing and spindle length to the savage.  As well as wheel size.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 09/29/23 at 03:45:29

You should also try to find a front end with a similar offset of the steering stem and fork tubes.  That distance is part of the geometry that establishes the "trail" in the front wheel.

I installed a set of yokes from a TM250 that had a lot less offset and it created a lot of trail.  The bike steered like a truck as there was too much trail.

You should likely look at cruiser type front ends that have a front fork angle similar to the Savage - sport bikes and similar bikes with more vertical fork angles will likely not work well.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #3 - 09/29/23 at 17:11:26

Entire fork assembly (trees and forks as a set) from the 750/800 Intruder is supposed to be a direct swap and geometry is the same. The tube diameter is larger on those so you can't swap just the fork tubes by themselves, has to be the whole shebang.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:19:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Replacing Forks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.