Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Oil System Evaluation & Upgrade (Read 620 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Oil System Evaluation & Upgrade
Reply #75 - 09/24/23 at 22:53:44

See what I mean about that magnet having some pull.  That’s a 12-inch crescent wrench.

74.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #76 - 09/24/23 at 22:54:30

So far, all I have observed is magnetic sludge typical of a motorcycle engine with an integrated crash box.  I wipe the plug off on a clean paper towel and examine at 5X magnification to make sure there are no chunks.  Going forward, I’ll only be doing this at an oil change.  No more interim drain plug checks.

75.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #77 - 09/24/23 at 22:55:13

The oil filter always looks fine.  Every now and then I find a small flake of metal, almost always non-ferrous.

76.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #78 - 09/24/23 at 22:55:50

Top gear looks great.  I have inspected it at each oil change, and it remains unchanged.  No pits or spalling.  This picture was taken at the 10,000 mile mark.  The gear looks like this all the way around.  I have no idea how many miles are actually on this gear set.  I bought it used off eBay.  I personally have logged about 16,000 miles on it (6000 prior to this oil system upgrade).

77.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #79 - 09/24/23 at 22:56:28

The cam lobes look great too.  No significant pits or scoring.  The valves have not needed any adjustments either.

This is the nose of the exhaust lobe.  It has some very tiny pits, but they are too small to see in the photo.  I’ve been monitoring these pits for a very long time, and they never seem to change.  I lost track of the exact mileage on the cam.  I’ve used it on a bunch of projects.  If my records are correct, it should have about 43,000 miles on it.

78.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #80 - 09/24/23 at 22:57:15

This is the intake cam lobe.  You can see the oil hole.  I wanted to give you a better idea of how much detail you can expect from one of these cheap endoscopes.  A little blurry, but good enough for my purposes.

79.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #81 - 09/24/23 at 22:57:53

The cylinder looks fine.  No excessive carbon accumulation.  No evidence of seizing.  A few vertical scratches but they appear superficial.

80.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #82 - 09/24/23 at 22:58:25

Compression has remained about the same for the full 10,000 miles.  It’s always about 200 to 210 psi.

81.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #83 - 09/24/23 at 22:59:14

The breather catch can never has much oil accumulation, maybe a teaspoon every oil change.   The additional oil flow does not overwhelm the drains or the breather system.

82.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #84 - 09/24/23 at 22:59:51

The clutch bushing looks great.  Seems to be getting lots of oil.

83.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #85 - 09/24/23 at 23:00:25

There are no more bronze deposits on the clutch sleeve, and the squealing and grabbiness have not occurred over the entire 10,000 mile test.

84.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #86 - 09/24/23 at 23:01:00

The oil pump drive gears work great.  There is no unusual noise.  The wear pattern looks fine.  No pitting, scoring or spalling.  All is well with the pump drive.

85_002.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #87 - 09/24/23 at 23:01:41

This one looks good too.

86_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #88 - 09/24/23 at 23:05:12

The engine is running well.  With this new oil system, every component in the engine gets more oil, all the time, and my problem gear is continuously bathed in cool oil.  I’m very pleased.

My plan is to set up a test gage in the pump discharge and try to figure out if the bypass relief is continuously open.  If the pump discharge pressure approaches 35 psi when the oil is at normal temp (200°F) and the engine speed is at cruise (3500-4000 rpm), then I can enlarge the jet to the cooler, install an aux bleed jet, or switch to 10W-40 oil.  Just depends on how high the pressure is.  If it’s borderline, maybe all I have to do is switch to the lighter oil.  I’m not concerned if the bypass lifts occasionally, I’m just not fond of it being open all the time.

Now that I have good confidence in the engine and transmission, I can forge ahead with some carburetor testing.  Can’t wait to fool around with that PWK with the emulsion tube.

I hope some of you find this report informative.  Maybe it will help you with your project.  As always, I invite your questions and comments.  I spent a lot of time on this project.  I am humbled.  I learned a lot of new things.  I thought I understood this oil system and I didn’t have a clue.  If you think I got some of this wrong, please speak up.  I don’t wanna find my drain plug covered in chips again.
Shocked

Best regards,

Mike

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #89 - 09/25/23 at 03:27:27

Wow,

That's an extensive study, and ditto report.

I now see that it is really necessary to do something about the lubrication when I tune the engine. The lubrication system is now not optimal.

I thought that simply increasing the yield would be the solution, but that is an underestimate.
This is not only a good guideline, but actually the way it should be done.

I am grateful to you for sharing this information. And impressed by the thoroughness with which you approached this.

Tanks.

In my eyes you are the David Vizard of the Savage.

Things get done through dedication. And that is something you certainly understand.

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:35:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil System Evaluation & Upgrade

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.