Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print
Oil System Evaluation & Upgrade (Read 620 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Oil System Evaluation & Upgrade
Reply #60 - 09/24/23 at 22:41:40

The special fitting fits just right.

60.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #61 - 09/24/23 at 22:42:17

The oil cooler is an old Jagg unit that I had in my junk bin.  I used to run it on my Harley Softail.  This thing is intended to be installed in the return line from the scavenge pump back to the oil tank.  I don’t think it was intended to be used in a pressurized system, so I must be careful with it.  With a flow control jet upstream, and an open-ended spray tube downstream, I think the cooler will be OK.

61.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #62 - 09/24/23 at 22:42:55

The cooler almost looks like it was made for the Savage.  I just attached it to the frame with Adel clamps.  Hose routing was a breeze.  I used Derale trans cooler hose rated for 100 psi @ 300°F.

62.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #63 - 09/24/23 at 22:43:32

The cooler and associated hoses hold a significant amount of oil.  That oil drains back to the sump when you shut the engine down.  So, when the engine is running, the oil level in the sump will be below the desired range.  To compensate, you must fill the engine to the normal level, and then add an additional amount of oil. That additional amount should be whatever the cooler holds when the engine is running.  In my case, the Jagg cooler holds 8 ounces of oil.

63.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #64 - 09/24/23 at 22:44:14

As an additional precaution, I installed a special bleed jet in my oil filter housing.  The jet is situated on the upstream side of the filter element.  I used Mikuni air bleeds.  They come in sizes ranging from 0.5mm up to 2.0mm.  If the additional bleed is not needed, just install a 4mm set screw.

64.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #65 - 09/24/23 at 22:45:13

To set up the additional bleed, I drilled & tapped the existing 6mm threaded hole for the crankshaft seal.  That hole goes directly through the clutch cover and penetrates the filter cavity.  I tapped the hole for a 5/16-24 UNF screw, then made a special fastener to hold the seal retainer in place.  

65.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #66 - 09/24/23 at 22:46:59

This shows the seal retainer with the special fastener installed.

66.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #67 - 09/24/23 at 22:47:40

The gear-spray was the hardest part of the job.  It required a special penetration block for the rear of the engine case.   The special penetration was a set of aluminum discs with a 90° hose fitting on the inlet side and 1/8” copper tubing on the spray side.  The tubing runs over the top of the transmission gears and is fastened to the case with small aluminum clips.  I drilled holes through the case to permit the use of small screws to secure the clips to the case.

67.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #68 - 09/24/23 at 22:48:25

This shows how the 1/8” tubing is installed in the disc.   The assembly is secured to the rear of the case with small stainless-steel screws, and it is sealed with JB Weld.  The phongraphic grooves are intended to prevent the epoxy layer from becoming too thin when the screws are tightened.

68.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #69 - 09/24/23 at 22:48:59

The spray tubing is aligned so that oil is discharged directly into the gear mesh.  Since the input gear is rotating counterclockwise, and the output gear is rotating clockwise, the cool oil is pulled right through the mesh.  I can’t get much better than that.

69.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #70 - 09/24/23 at 22:49:36

Since there was a chance that the oil pressure might end up significantly higher than stock, I was concerned about the o-ring in the case joint where the transmission feed passes through the centerline.  That o-ring prep is simply a spot face, it doesn’t have an actual “groove”.  If oil leaks past the o-ring, it can force the o-ring to collapse and enter the passage, so I made a special piece to establish a bona fide o-ring groove.  The o-ring is captured.  The worst that can happen is a small leak develops.

70.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #71 - 09/24/23 at 22:50:13

This is the case with the special piece epoxied in place.  It requires an o-ring that is the same OD as stock, but the cross section is thinner.

71.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #72 - 09/24/23 at 22:50:51

The DR camshaft got the hole treatment.  Leaving these holes out was a big mistake.  Never put one of these bumpsticks in your engine without drilling the holes.

72.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #73 - 09/24/23 at 22:52:16

So, how did all this work?

With a #120 flow control jet to the cooler, the oil pressure is now about 5 psi at idle, and 10 to 11 psi at 4000 rpm.  So, about double.

No problems with the pump drive gears.  No unusual noise or vibration.  No fluctuating oil pressure at high rpm.  You can run it up to 7K and the gage shows no signs of cavitation or loss of suction.

Oil temperature remained at 200°F.   I know the gear spray has adequate flow because the cooler gets hot.  If there was no flow, or low flow, the cooler would not get hot.  It clearly has a lot of oil flowing through the cooler, but not so much that the sump temperature drops below what it was before.  So, flow through the cooler seems pretty close with the #120 jet.

I did not have to use the special oil bleed in the filter housing.  It is plugged with a set screw.  But I haven’t done any tests to see if the filter bypass is lifting.  The filter shows no signs of distress, no evidence of tearing, deformation, or collapse.  I need to get a gage in between the #120 jet and the pump.  It’s on my to-do list.

The transmission supply passage is dry at the case joint.  No leaks.

The transmission output shaft is dry.  No leaks.

The special fitting I installed on the rear of the case is dry.  No leaks.

The clutch works perfectly.  Repeated inspections show no evidence of bronze deposits on the sleeve.  No slipping, no grabbing, no squealing.  I suspect most of this improvement is due to the wave washer installation, but I’m sure the extra oil is helping too.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #74 - 09/24/23 at 22:53:02

I’ve put a little over 11,000 miles on the engine with the improved oil system.  Repeated inspections show no evidence of any sort of failure.  I’ve been changing oil about every 3000 miles, and have been inspecting the magnetic drain plug about every 300 to 600 miles.   I took the following photos at the 10,000 mile inspection.

No more chips on the magnetic drain plug.  No indication of a failing bearing or gear teeth.  This drain plug has a special neodymium magnet.  It’s Big Time strong, so it grabs chips like crazy.  I don’t consider it to be any sort of cleaning device, it’s a tool to monitor the engine.  Like a chip detector on a jet turbine.

73.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:35:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil System Evaluation & Upgrade

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.