Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Oil System Evaluation & Upgrade (Read 620 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Oil System Evaluation & Upgrade
Reply #45 - 09/24/23 at 22:26:46

From the orifice, oil travels to the left side of the transmission via a drilled passage in the top of the case.  There is an o-ring in the case joint to prevent the pressurized oil from leaking out.  The area circled in red is where the drilled passage resides.  The plugs circled in green and yellow seal off the ends of intersecting vertical passages that carry oil to the transmission bearings on the left side.  I don’t think that oil is intended to lubricate the trans bearings because they are sealed.  The oil running through this circuit is intended for the internal idler bearings in some of the transmission gears, and for the clutch bushing.

46.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #46 - 09/24/23 at 22:27:29

This shows how oil enters the cavity between the output shaft bearing and the output shaft seal.  The passage is circled in yellow.  Note that the outboard side of the bearing is sealed.  Since the oil is trapped between the bearing seal and the shaft seal, it is forced to travel into the output shaft.  The input shaft has a similar arrangement.  The green arrow shows the passage to the input shaft.

47.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #47 - 09/24/23 at 22:28:08

Oil enters the end of the input shaft and provides lubrication for the idler bearings in 4th & 5th gears.  The oil continues to flow through the shaft to the right side of the engine where it lubricates the clutch bushing.

48.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #48 - 09/24/23 at 22:28:48

This hole in the input shaft provides lubrication for the clutch sleeve and bronze bushing.

49.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #49 - 09/24/23 at 22:29:41

Both sides of the input shaft are open.  Oil enters the left side of the shaft so the left side must remain open.  The right side of the input shaft must be sealed off to prevent the oil from just running out of the shaft.

50.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #50 - 09/24/23 at 22:30:26

The push piece in the clutch release mechanism has an o-ring.  The function of this o-ring is to seal off the right side of the input shaft.  Keep the o-ring in good condition so that you don’t degrade oil pressure to the transmission shafts and clutch.  The first indicator of a problem might be those bronze deposits I kept seeing on my clutch sleeve.

51.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #51 - 09/24/23 at 22:30:59

Oil enters the output shaft through this small hole.  Never obstruct this hole by installing the pulley spacer backwards.  The notches in the pulley spacer must touch the inner race of the output shaft bearing, not the pulley.  The oil in the output shaft lubricates the idler bearings in 2nd, 3rd & 4th gears.

52.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #52 - 09/24/23 at 22:31:34

These are the notches in question.  These notches provide a flow path for the oil to enter the output shaft.  The notches must face the bearing, not the pulley.

53.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #53 - 09/24/23 at 22:32:07

I was curious how much pressure to expect downstream of the transmission supply orifice, so I made a test connection to replace the pulley and spacer.

54.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #54 - 09/24/23 at 22:32:51

I couldn’t drive the thing around with that test fitting in place, but at least I could get a feel for the relationship between pressure at the cylinder head and pressure at the transmission.  I was mostly concerned with too much oil pressure blowing out the output shaft seal.  A wimpy sheetmetal retainer is all that’s preventing the seal from blowing out and oiling down the rear tire.  Pressure is highest when the oil is cold, so I figured a test with cold oil would be appropriate.

With cold oil (77°F) and the engine running 2100 rpm, the pump discharge was about 45 psi, the oil pressure at the head was about 13 psi, and the transmission pressure was about 5 psi.  I’m thinkin that filter bypass is open under these conditions.

55.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #55 - 09/24/23 at 22:33:36

So, under low-speed cold conditions the trans pressure is about 5 psi.  Looks like it might be safe to assume that with a .071” orifice the trans pressure should be about 38% of head pressure.

I know, this is a crude gage installation, but what the heck, it’s temporary.  At least the test fitting was pretty.

56.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #56 - 09/24/23 at 22:38:01

What a pickle.  I was pitting gear teeth, spalling main bearings, seizing pistons, wearing out my clutch bushing, and who knows what else.

I thought I had figured out the main bearing spalling.  Drilling holes in the cam lobes would restore oil flow to the main bearings.  Who would have thought that those holes in the cam lobes were crucial for main bearing longevity.

Seized pistons could be mitigated with a bit more running clearance.  I never felt comfy with .0019” clearance to begin with.  The 94mm Wiseco has a recommended clearance of .0025”, why should the 97mm be less. My wrist pin was always on the dry side when I opened it up for inspection.  I don’t think it would be a good idea to add more clearance there, so more oil seemed like it would be beneficial.

But those pitted gear teeth.  How was I gonna fix those? I am running a 4-speed gear set because it is beefier, but more oil would help too.   Any increase in oil flow to the transmission would require more oil from the source.  I needed a bigger pump, or a faster pump.  If I could provide more oil flow, I could increase flow to all three circuits, or enlarge the transmission orifice.  Maybe some of the extra oil would find it’s way to the gear teeth.  I didn’t think it would hurt to have more oil flowing everywhere.

If I could increase oil flow enough, I could possibly add a fourth oil circuit to provide direct lubrication to the gear mesh, and still maintain adequate pressure and flow to the original three circuits.

I came up with two options, a High-Volume Oil Pump and a High-Speed Pump Drive.  This old report provides the details on those pump mods.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1680140612

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #57 - 09/24/23 at 22:39:53

I decided to use the high-speed pump drive because I could restore the system to stock configuration without completely disassembling the engine.  Let’s face it, I was exploring virgin territory.  The increased flow would allow an additional oil circuit with a dedicated spray for top gear (in my case 4th).

To utilize the high-speed pump, I would need a way to control flow to the various circuits and bleed off excess pressure.  That could be accomplished with jets placed in strategic locations.

The primary objective was to provide lots of cool oil to top gear, and the secondary objective was to increase pressure to the cylinder head.  If I could maintain at least 7 psi at the head, I knew that the original oil circuits would still be receiving the as-designed volume of oil at the as-designed pressure.   But if I could increase pressure at the cylinder head, every component in the engine would benefit from additional oil.   Any pressure over 7 psi would be gravy.

To achieve the “cool oil” objective, I would use an oil cooler.  I don’t think the Savage needs an oil cooler.  My oil temperature has always been a bit cooler than desired (about 200°F here in Hawaii).  But I wanted that gear running cool.  So, if I restricted the flow of oil through the cooler, maybe I could achieve the goal of cooling the gear without reducing sump temp too much.  Running the pump at higher speed was gonna heat up the oil a bit too.  Maybe one would offset the other.

The DR cam would get the requisite oil holes in the cam lobes.

This is a diagram of the modified system.  The 4th oil circuit (in red) runs from the main oil passage, through a jet to control flow, through the oil cooler, and through a spray tube directly into the gear mesh.  A bleed jet is installed in the oil filter housing to dump excess oil if necessary.

This oil system upgrade wouldn’t prove much unless I installed it on an engine with some yank, so I simply moved the entire top end and 4-speed trans off my Big Bore 4-Speed project over to the oil system test mule.  Up to this point, the Big Bore 4-speed had proved that it was up to the job.  It had overwhelmed the clutch, destroyed a main bearing, and seized a piston.  This thing makes great power.  It will be a good test for the modified lube oil system.

57.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #58 - 09/24/23 at 22:40:31

The heart of the system is the high-speed pump drive.  The 4th oil circuit would not be possible without the increased volume that the high-speed drive provides.  Now, the drive gear has 35 teeth, and the driven gear has 30 teeth.  That changes the ratio from 0.86:1 to 1.17:1, an increase of 36%.   It converts the drive from a reduction gear to a speed increaser.

58.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #59 - 09/24/23 at 22:41:03

A special fitting taps off the main oil passage where the plug used to go.  The fitting has a provision for a thermo bulb.  It has an integral 3/8” hose barb that is drilled & tapped to accept a standard Mikuni main jet.  The jet will allow me to control how much oil goes through the 4th circuit.  I use the jet as a primary control for oil pressure, and to prevent over cooling the oil.  I want to try and maintain oil temperature about 200°F.  If the cooler gets good and hot, I know that there is significant flow through the cooler (more than enough to lubricate and cool the gears).

59.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:18:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil System Evaluation & Upgrade

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.