IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: How do you brake?
Reply #1 - 09/23/23 at 19:59:33

The back tire does all the pushing and the Front tire does all the Stopping ?
So
They both can wear out !   Smiley

I need to practice letting the rear do a little of the stopping !  Embarrassed     Just so the Anti lock quits unlocking the front brake.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 09/24/23 at 03:47:12

Good video.......lots of stuff to consider.

It is very interesting that in 80% of motorcycle crashes there is no evidence of braking.  I can't help but cringe whenever I hear a biker say "I had to lay it down".......that to me is a sign that the rider only knows how to apply the rear brake in a panic, and the back tire slides out of control and the motorcycle falls over.  A motorcycle stops faster upright and on the tires than it does sliding down the pavement on it's side.

I am always thankful that I learned to ride in the dirt and mud.  I got lots of practice using brakes on good and bad surfaces, and learned to modulate the brakes to suit the available traction.  The learning phase often involved a skid and a many falls.......the riding in the dirt was most often pretty slow and dirt is very forgiving in a fall, and dirt bikes are tough and not easily damaged (at least they were before they got water cooling and lots of plastic bodywork).  When I got good enough to race motocross I learned to brake harder than other riders and pass on the entrance to curves....(a 125cc bike does not have much power to pass with).

I often wonder how a rider who only rides on the street learns to brake properly.  They don't have the luxury of  learning by trial and error and practice as I did in the dirt.  Falls on hard pavement with motorcycles that are damaged easily is not much of an option.

Thankfully I have learned to apply the front front and rear brake smoothly, even in a panic stop.  I have learned to apply the brakes firmly and increase the pressure on the front brake as the weight transfers forward......while at the same time releasing some rear brake pressure to avoid sliding the rear tire.  I do need to practice this more often - as routine riding and planned stops are very forgiving about sloppy braking methods......maybe I need to buy another dirt bike!!!!!!

Somewhere around 2018 I was riding a Honda ST1100 on the Tail of the Dragon and going pretty fast.  I was still on the straight section and braking hard for the upcoming left turn.......and I evidently had not released enough pressure on the rear brake pedal and the back tire began to slide - the back of the back started to slide to the right.  (This bike had a tendency to lock up the rear brake often under hard braking).  I had to release the brakes to get the bike straightened up, and when I got back on the brakes there was not enough room to complete the braking within the available pavement.....I went off the pavement and into the leaf filled ditch.  The bike stayed upright and we came to a stop without any damage - but it reminded me what happens when the rear tire locks up!  I rode a bit less aggressively for the rest of the day, as I had been reminded that there are limits to what can/should be maintained to ride safely!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 09/24/23 at 08:39:30

I think braking under a panic is near impossible to teach , more or less  it comes from years/decades of riding. It involves more skills than most have , rider position , weight transfer , ability to brake and steer around impending doom and stay calm. Knowing when to trail brake and when not to. I can ride all day and not touch the rear brake. Thats why I bought the big brake kit as soon as I spotted it ! Dirt bike & racing skills come in handy and you know how to deal with loss of traction under throttle or braking with a smile on. If you don’t have abs then you’re left with your brain , foot & hand to save your as$ in a hard brake panic stop. Thumpin Special in the weeds , all Dave’s years of experience I’m sure he rode out smiling more embarrassed than stressed. I’ve been in that tiny crevasse between shoulder & the gravel several times boy will that wake you up in a hurry. I was taught to look where you want bike to go not at the tire , spend a millisecond looking at front tire  and you’re down , don’t do it ! This is why I minimize my distractions. Remain calm , stay in control.

« Last Edit: 09/24/23 at 09:44:55 by Ruttly »  

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: How do you brake?a
Reply #4 - 09/24/23 at 19:15:25

I think I might have found the perfect solution for braking from high speed ... its called the smaller displacement bike solution.    Its working for me now !  .   Grin  
Really
I'm ridding differently now that I've cut caffeine out of my diet .  That's not to say that I don't enjoy a High Spirited Ride once in a while !   Wink

We should all make our way to a empty section of road to practice how fast we can stop , then repeat once a month.   It been my experience that the rear tire is not on the ground much durning a quick stop with the Enfield and the Guzzi was the same way.   Undecided

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #5 - 09/25/23 at 05:03:25

I didn't know there was a video, I don't see a link.

I brake a bit sloppily and usually only use the rear brake when I have to make a hard stop.
I sometimes skid a little with the front wheel when I see sand, just to experience that feeling, so that if necessary I know what to do.
I'm glad the savage doesn't have a good front brake because in panic I break the handle in two. I have ridden on circuits before and was surprised how your steering skills improve after a few laps.
I can now drive and brake, but turning off the indicators is a skill that you cannot practice on the circuit.

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #6 - 09/25/23 at 12:42:41

All this information to absorb and what most stands out to me is: MM, you stopped drinking Mountain Dew?!? Shocked

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 09/25/23 at 18:47:15

zevenenergie wrote on 09/25/23 at 05:03:25:
I didn't know there was a video, I don't see a link.

I didn't see a link either so I fixed it.   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #8 - 09/25/23 at 20:32:44

So, I will add a bit of insight from when I bought my Honda Fury. The dealer it came from actually regularly has an S40/LS650 for sale and is very familiar with them. He made it a point to inform me that riding a long stretch bike like the Fury, you had to depend on the front brake.

But like Dave, I grew up riding dirt bikes and later mountain bikes, and the front brake aspect of riding was second nature. When I took the Rider Education Course to get my MC license, the instructors were impressed by how I actually had the concept of trail braking already ingrained in my psyche.

Basically, and this is a major simplification, front brake counter acts the momentum force of bike moving forward, rear brake just attempts to manage it.

It is one of the reasons in Education courses they tell you to wear boots with a minimum heel height of like a 1/2". If you over apply rear brake the heel of boot will engage on peg and hold your body back from flying forward due to momentum as the bike slows down below your body due to excessive rear braking. The number of injuries involving bodies flying forward over the handlebars while panic rear braking is acsignificant statistic.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 09/26/23 at 21:37:55

Yaaa Springman

My Doctor said those terrible words : "Pre Diabetes" to me ...

It was tuff , like leaving a drug almost !

Now its , Water , Fruit Juice , or Body Armor .     I also put Caffeine coffee away most of the time.  
Believe it or not , I don't Ride as Crazy either , Well except "Some-Times" ... But ... only when its necessary.  
The last time was when that brother of mine who lives near the Tail of the Dragon was ribbing me about ridding a 350cc bike now .    Well we went ridding in the mountains and I couldn't help but to leave him and his 1200cc Sportster in the twisties .   But it was only to put an end to the "It's only a 350cc" mind-set.     The Savage guys (Versey, Lancer, and OldFeller) did the same thing to me when I had a 1200cc Sportster.   But Kent thought he really could keep up... Embarrassed ...    OK , it was for the FUN of it too !   Roll Eyes

Brakes ... my new bike won't do a stoppie either ... the anti lock brake stops it.     I just can't seem to master getting the rear to slow-down with out sliding it , Of-course its barley on the ground while stopping hard anyway.

springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #10 - 09/27/23 at 11:14:37

Sorry to hear you had to give up the Dew. But yeah, I suspect you are alot calmer now (at least some of the time). I have not gotten the pre diabetes warning yet but I am trying to eat better to keep from getting it.

Glad you showed your brother "Who da man is!!" Grin

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 09/27/23 at 11:19:00

springman wrote on 09/27/23 at 11:14:37:
Sorry to hear you had to give up the Dew. But yeah, I suspect you are alot calmer now (at least some of the time). I have not gotten the pre diabetes warning yet but I am trying to eat better to keep from getting it.

Grapes.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 09/27/23 at 15:25:20

I feel a little guilty but ,   if he had been on the Savage or the Meteor and I was on the Sportster it would still be the Sportster that got left , IMHO. 

I have to work just as hard as anybody else to keep up with the leader
but
Its hard to behave when the road gets all twisted up ...  Roll Eyes

I should explain that Kent also bought one of those really big  Harleys to keep the Sportster company.    Maybe his wife talked him into it ?  Huh
But
He still rides the Sportster all the time because the Big Harley is always in the shop .    :

« Last Edit: 09/27/23 at 17:58:42 by MMRanch »  

zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #13 - 09/27/23 at 23:07:37

When I moved from Ontario to Kentucky in '86, I had to requalify for my moto licence. I had quit roadracing 3 years previously. In class, the KY instructor insisted that all motorcycles braked from the rear. Likely a HD rider. Big argument followed, including a threat that I would fail the class if I disagreed. Being on a work visa, I wasn't about to upset my new hosts. Bit my tongue and passed the course, with some silent  cursing, and negative feeling towards HD riders. Live and learn!
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #14 - 09/28/23 at 07:34:57

Yaaa Zip

Sometimes ya have to state your comments in the form of a question .  

Like : Excuse me mister instructor ... Can you tell us , "What's a Stopie and do they really stop the bike ? "   Grin

In hind-sight everything is clear , but I can never think of the right assure at the right time (I hope that's normal ?? ) , I'd hate to be abnormal ???

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 13:18:53

General CategoryThe Cafe › How do you brake?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.