Send Topic Print
Fuel can (Read 154 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Fuel can
09/21/23 at 22:48:32

Anybody carry spare fuel ? Maybe adventure bikers. What type of canister is ok for fuel. Almost had to push her home today , on reserve but made it. It’s maybe 2 gal including reserve , small tank , small reserve , big piston.
Yeah so what kind of canister and where do you carry it ? Or a kit with mount & canister ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Fuel can
Reply #1 - 09/22/23 at 03:27:10

I bought a 32oz can of ethanol free 4 cycle fuel at the hardware store.

Comes in a sealed metal container with unlimited shelf life.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #2 - 09/22/23 at 11:23:15

The late Mechanic 43 has you covered.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 09/22/23 at 14:44:49

Thanks guys
Fuel in a can in CA I doubt it but I’m looking cause it’s the best option !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 09/22/23 at 21:06:25

It’s showing in stock , $9 a quart , at the local chain auto parts store. I’ll get two , use 1 to see how the bike runs on it ! Gee how safe is it to carry that and my jumper battery in my backpack.   Cheesy

My second choice is that soft side bladder fuel can , like a bota bag for gas.
Kinda pricey maybe on my next bike.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 09/23/23 at 09:54:51

I was surprised to find a proper 94 octane for the small engine fuel in a can. Still feel the need to test it but yeah , I’ll be stowing a can when doing long rides in unfamiliar areas. While the Ryca tank is too small for long rides I wouldn’t change anything but the tires, it’s just something I gotta deal with.
Only drawback is besides cost is weight near 4 lb . Where am I gonna put my beers ?  Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 09/23/23 at 10:58:10

Metal bottles, approximately a quart, certified for carrying fuel, with a screw in cap are available. I've wondered about the water bottles, metal, same size, design, except for the Certified part, IDK if they are different. The plastic screw in plug?
If a gallon is forty miles,, a quart is a whopping Ten. But not Pushing ten is a big deal.
You can find a place to strap a quart bottle and still have your Beer space.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 09/23/23 at 17:16:31

Don't forget to attach a folding paper funnel to the can with some rubber bands!

You can often find the paper funnels at gas stations.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 09/23/23 at 19:22:14

I've carried the 20 oz size of one of these in my pack on camping trips full of fuel for my single burner camping stove for years. I think the 30 oz would work for extra gas for a motorcycle. I wouldn't have any reservations about tossing one in a saddlebag or straping it to a sissybar. I'm not sure I'd trust the cheapo lookalike metal bottles that are intended fior water.

https://www.amazon.com/MSR-Liquid-Fuel-Bottle-20-Ounce/dp/B0015I0GE6/ref=asc_...

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/23/23 at 19:35:46

I've been using the MSR fuel bottle for many years as well in all kinds of weather and have seen them bounce off rocks, pavement etc. with no issue.

I wouldn't use anything other than a can rated to carry fuel.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #10 - 09/24/23 at 08:43:19

Almost looking like I’m the only one not carrying a spare can of fuel. I will ride into the unknown with confidence & fuel !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 09/24/23 at 09:42:03

Ruttly wrote on 09/24/23 at 08:43:19:
Almost looking like I’m the only one not carrying a spare can of fuel. I will ride into the unknown with confidence & fuel !

I don't carry a spare can when I am out riding most of the time, as my Cafe' Savage has a 4 gallon GT550 tank and I can go 160 miles before I hit reserve.

I do however tend to carry one on group rides where there are other Savage bikes with stock tanks (100 miles between fuel stops).

On one group ride in Arkansas MMRanch took us on a road without many fuel options, and we made Verslagen ride 143 miles before we let him stop for fuel......I really wonder how close he got to running out?  That is what caused me to buy that 32oz can of gas to haul around in the saddlebag.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 09/24/23 at 19:32:04

Hay Ruttly

I just thought of something :

Back when my S-40 was my main ride , I put a 2 gallon aluminum tank inside the tail-bag located on the luggage rack.   From the outside it looked like a tail-bag.   Its easy to put a in-line shut-off valve and a "T" into the fuel line.
I'll see if I can find a picture .   I kept the tank when the Savage went to the new owner.

HardBags2mp_007.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 09/24/23 at 19:43:14

The tank itself : https://www.ebay.com/itm/174888539758?hash=item28b82b566e:g:bq8AAOSw5YVhFgv2&...

There are so many different sizes and configurations that one of them should fit everybody ?

My current bike has a 4 gallon tank and gets above 80mpg (US-gallon) that I don't need more fuel , but ya never know what future bike might come-a-long ?

2_gallon_fuel.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 09/24/23 at 21:13:03

MM , I remember your 2nd fuel tank on your Savage. That’s when I learned you are a diehard biker , still ! I have some diehard biker friends , I know two of them rode to and toured Alaska by themselves one on a Goldwing and the other on a Triumph. Truely a different breed. That’s Adventure !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 14:38:15

General CategoryThe Cafe › Fuel can

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.