Send Topic Print
Dyna swap- Now FLAMES (Read 89 times)
BeeBux
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Dyna swap- Now FLAMES
09/18/23 at 14:57:14

I recently replaced the stock muffler with a Dyna and did a carb rejet (52/58, 145/150, 2 washers). Bike runs great and sounds amazing, but there are 6” whispy flames emitting from my muffler when I’m idling and I assume all through the range although I can’t see when moving. Too rich? Too lean? Something else altogether? I got them to go away turning the mix screw in to about 1/2 turn out, but after another 10 miles they were back when I arrived at my destination.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: Dyna swap- Now FLAMES
Reply #1 - 09/18/23 at 16:51:46

A 58 pilot and 2 washer is way too rich IMO (unless you are ~3k feet below sea level).  

You really shouldn't need more than a 50.

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #2 - 09/18/23 at 22:34:44

Flames are usually do to air leaks of the muffler

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 09/19/23 at 04:21:42

The flames are all the unburned fuel that is coming out your exhaust.

My "go to" jetting for the first round is a #150 main and a #50 pilot.....and three machine screw washers on the needle.  I have only had 1 bike that wanted a #52.5 pilot.....I have never had to install a main jet larger than #150 with a stock air cleaner.

A bike that is too rich will run OK - but is giving up a ton of performance.

What kind of air cleaner are you running?
At what elevation are you riding?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
BeeBux
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/19/23 at 07:39:14

I got a jet kit for this specific mod from a company called 6 Sigma, supposedly guaranteed to be correct for my specific machine. I installed a HiFlow air filter in the stock air box. I live at sea level. The stock jet was already 52.5 unless someone prior to me changed it, main jet is now 150 from 145.

Yoshi- I did notice a leak in the adapter I put on the header/muffler transition, as you said this might explain the flames in the muffler while the engine performs nicely. Gonna have that welded and see if overheating muffler goes away before trying to rejet.

Would y’all recommend going back to the stock 52.5 pilot and/or removing a washer? IS the 52.5 the stock pilot for a 2002?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 09/19/23 at 15:36:26

BeeBux wrote on 09/19/23 at 07:39:14:
Would y’all recommend going back to the stock 52.5 pilot and/or removing a washer? IS the 52.5 the stock pilot for a 2002?

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1098869040

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #6 - 09/19/23 at 22:22:15

Spent the last 2 years riding around with a 152.5, felt pretty lively. Took the exhaust off last winter and found lots of black soot around the joint at the head.  Went back to a 150 this year and surprise! Same liveliness ! More is not always better !
Cheers! Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 09/20/23 at 04:11:08

zipidachimp wrote on 09/19/23 at 22:22:15:
Spent the last 2 years riding around with a 152.5, felt pretty lively. Took the exhaust off last winter and found lots of black soot around the joint at the head.  Went back to a 150 this year and surprise! Same liveliness ! More is not always better !
Cheers! Cool

An engine that is a bit too rich runs smoothly, starts easily...and fools you into thinking things are great (when they really aren't).

An engine that is a bit too lean is often not smooth or steady as you open the throttle to accelerate or hold a steady throttle to cruise.  They can also pop and backfire more than normal.

A properly jetted bike runs so much better than one that it too rich or too lean.  There may still be some popping/banging while decelerating, as a closed throttle while slowing down or downshifting creates a lean condition....sometimes the stock carbs TEV just can't overcome that, and a more open exhaust makes the situation more noticeable.

When I first started jetting the Savage I went to the extremes to see the limits.  I put in a main jet and rode the bike, then kept putting in bigger ones until I could feel the engine starting to choke under full throttle......then I put in smaller ones until I could feel it was too lean.  Now I just reach for a #150 as it has proven to be the proper main jet for my 500'-800' elevation.  I have ridden the Cherahala Skyway with this jet to 5,000' elevation and it still runs OK - however if I lived at that elevation a smaller jet might be in order.  The #50 or #52.5 pilot jet are in the correct range - use the one that results in the mixture screw being 2-2.5 turns out for smoothest idle (must turn the idle speed down to around 800rpm for this adjustment).  Then fiddle with the needle spacer to get smooth acceleration at partial throttle......keep adding washers until you feel a surge and uneven acceleration - then take out washers until the partial throttle acceleration becomes smooth.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #8 - 09/29/23 at 17:26:58

It does sound like jetting with the Dyna swap.  With the Dyna, I landed at #150 Main and #55 Primary, and smaller spacer on needle, and about 1 turn out on the mix screw.  I'm at sea level.  I could have stayed at the 52.5 primary....  The 155 main was too big - lost its snappiness.

The flames may have been happening unnoticed with the stock exhaust.  Is your valve lash in specs?  Ticking valves are closing valves.  Really quite valves may not be closing and seating.  Poof out the exhaust pipe....

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 20:45:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dyna swap- Now FLAMES

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.