Worn drive shaft. (Read 181 times)
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Re: Worn drive shaft.
Reply #15 - 09/21/23 at 08:58:03

It's nice to get these tips, working systematically and photos do indeed make life easier. So I'm going to pay extra attention to this. I normally trust my memory. But my gut feeling tells me that I better not do that.

I have studied the link and am impressed with the work you have done on it DBM. It shows decisiveness and a lot of time spent.
I lookt at your flow work and and how you approach it. I've already watched quite a few videos.
But it's better to see what it looks like on the savage.
I have an idea now of how I want to approach it and try to keep it simpel and affordable.

I am now on the lookout for a drive shaft.
And I realized that there are 4 and 5 gear engines. So the question that came up is, are they both the same?

That would make searching easier because I see that sellers never include data.

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #16 - 09/22/23 at 23:10:37

The output shafts are not the same.  If your current engine has a 4-speed, you will need a 4-speed shaft.  If your current engine is a 5-speed, you will need a 5-speed shaft.  

Model years through 1988 had a 4-speed.  Model years after 1988 had a 5-speed.

What model year is your spare engine?

If you intend to get serious with the performance mods, you should consider converting to a 4-speed (if you don't already have a 4-speed).  I have had problems with pitting on the 5-speed transmissions.  The 5-speed gears are narrower and not as robust as the 4-speed gears.

I found the link for the flow bench post.  It's easy to build and inexpensive.  If you are interested in the DTEC article, send me a PM with your eMail and I will send you a PDF.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1538442855/0#12

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #17 - 09/23/23 at 05:05:29

Hi  DragBikeMike

Smiley for finding and posting the link.
I skimmed the topic. And study it later.

The world of 4 stroke tuning is opening up for me and I am using all my free time to gather information about it. I saw the name David Vizard in your text and I completely absorbed that YouTube channel. Nice that you also get inspiration from that sorce.

My previous Savage had a 4-speed engine, which I thought suited the Savage better. and in my opinion the gears were also quieter.
I found a 5 speed axle, but this man also has a complete 4 speed transmission. Does that fit in a 5 speed engine? Or are the crankcases also different?

4-stroke tunning is much more fun than tought. I,t fits in nicely with my masinist hobby.
I have designed a device for drilling out valve seats and drilling the hole to size for bigger ones. It can be used in a drill press. When it is finished and tested I will post the photos here.

Have a nice weekend. Smiley

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 09/23/23 at 06:06:22

That old dude, Vizard, knows a Bunch about how to wring another Shetland out.
I missed the last Coupla videos on Uncle Tony's 318 that he did. The goal was to see what they could get out of it and keep it stock. Same heads and valves, IDK if they Had to bore it. Vizard just talks like a deep and wide warehouse of knowledge. Anyone who has a flowbench, machinery to modify heads, install valves,custom grind them,, good grief, when he is gone, the world is going to be short one major source of wisdom and knowledge. Ohh,and Ability,, he can actually Do it.
I think it was the 318 heads he didn't like the squish on and he welded them, machined them to his specs.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:30:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Worn drive shaft.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.