Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oh no! Another tire question! (Read 72 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Oh no! Another tire question!
09/09/23 at 09:08:22

Been re-reading through the many tire threads on our forum.
This one should be easy. I just got a few bucks so I'm replacing my Michelin Commander II tires after >21K miles. Front still looks good but it's been on there since 2015. I know, I know. Too long.

I want a 130/90 on the rear now. Is the Shinko 230 still a really good option? I see them for $96 for the rear and $84 for the front.

What size tube for a 130/90 15? 5-5.5X15? Definitely sticking with the 90 degree stem.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Oh no! Another tire question!
Reply #1 - 09/10/23 at 04:38:45

Good job getting that many miles  from a tire!

I still like the Shinko Tourmaster 230.  It is a good, affordable tire.....you will not get 20,000 miles of use from it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - 09/10/23 at 08:00:29

Thanks Dave. Also looking at the Shinko 733. About the same price and the 733 has a tread pattern that may deliver a little better water management.

Has anyone run both of these and have some experience to share?

Shinko_733_vs__230.JPG

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #3 - 09/20/23 at 13:32:56

The Shinko 230 is my tire of choice. I run it on the S40 and on my 600lbs Honda Shadow Spirit 1100. It is a very good performing tire (wet and dry weather) and on both bikes it gives me 10K miles give or take for the rear tire.

When I bought the Honda it had the Shinko SR733 on the rear and I got about 10K miles from it. I do not run the tires bald and I had some tread left on the 733 when I changed it, but I changed it because it seemed to have lost it's balance.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 09/21/23 at 17:43:52

Thanks springman. What do you like more about the 230 compared to the SR733? They're about the same price at a local shop near me.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #5 - 09/22/23 at 09:26:02

The 733 started to cup near the end of its life cycle. I've had maybe seven 230's between the 2 bikes and never experienced any issues at all. I did also call the USA Shinko master distributor and they recommended the 230 over the 733. Shinko also has a 999 now that is supposed to be the competition to the Michelin Commander series so I also asked about the 999 over the 230 and was told that if I am getting 10k miles out of the 230, stick with the 230.

Prior to the cupping of the 733 though, I would have to say that overall feel and performance was pretty much equal to the 230.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 09/22/23 at 12:19:35

I have mounted 2 sets of the 230 Tourmaster tires on a Savage - they work well in the wet or dry.  It is a good affordable tire.

Don't get too hung up on lots of tread grooves being necessary for riding in the wet.  Tires with lots of grooves and tread blocks can be noisy, and the also can wear unevenly as the miles add up.

My last 2 sets of Bridgestone Battlax BT45 tires wore the front tire unevenly as the tread blocks on the side would squirm and wear crooked when leaned over in the corner.  Every time I leaned over in the corner the front tire would buzz!

On one of my bikes I am running a Dunlop RoadSport 2 as it was a very affordable tire and I just needed something to last long enough to wear the rear out - so I could put a matched set on this winter.  The Dunlop RoadSport 2 was half the cost of the "newer" style tires.  The tire does not have many grooves - but I have got caught in the rain and it works just fine.  Motorcycle tires are not flat across the tread like car tires, and the standing water squirts out the rounded side of the motorcycle tire easily....they don't need as many grooves as a car tire does.  I have posted a photo of the Dunlop tire.....not many grooves but it works fine in the wet.

Capture_014.PNG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:14:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oh no! Another tire question!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.