New Fuel Gas Tank Cap (Read 49 times)
Jxyooj71
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Fuel Gas Tank Cap
08/29/23 at 16:20:13

Hi all:

I'm completely new to motorcycling and I bought a 2019 Suzuki Boulevard S40/Savage/LS650 two weeks ago and have been trying hard to learn about everything there is. It is my very first bike and I got my M1 Endorsement 3 weeks ago. I have come across an issue where the old cap and gasket would leak gas when shaking the bike. I went to a shop and the dude put another gasket on it (much bigger) and it prevents the gas leak a lot more but there's still a little leak despite the effort. I also smell like gasoline after riding and I do smell gasoline so it makes me dizzy during and after the ride. I tried to call Suzuki of Van Nuys and there isn't any in stock. I texted Partzilla and they gave me part number 44200-24860 but I'm not sure if it'll fit my bike because it's a California bike. I saw that there was 44200-24870 but it is also out of stock. I called corporate Suzuki and they have one in stock but it's 44200-24860 and it doesn't make sense to spend $200 to get a part that may not fit; the local dealership says there is no exchange for a special parts order. I have read on the forums there are people who would buy the rubber from a hardware store but it really isn't gas resistant so that's a bummer. What should I do?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: New Fuel Gas Tank Cap
Reply #1 - 08/29/23 at 18:11:20

It's easy to overfill. Look down in the tank. The tube you're looking into? When the gas gets to the bottom of it, stop.
Another thing to look at is the top of the opening,where the gasket seats. If it isn't flat across the opening, the gasket doesn't seat well. You can see if it has a low or high spot by putting an oily finger on it and applying a bit of oil and setting a piece of glass on it. As long as you don't Tell her you are taking the glass out of her mom's picture, you should live.

If it's not going to provide a good sealing surface, tell us what you find.

Mine gave me trouble, I took it apart and scrounged something to put between the cap and the gasket, increasing pressure on the gasket.
First step
So, gas up, don't let it go up in the tube.
Cap it, gently rock the bike, don't treat it like a can of Krylon..
Nothing wrong with having a paper towel ready.
Work with it,, before you drop the $$$,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 08/29/23 at 21:18:34

Got a 96 tank and the new cap and it’s a tight fit in and out. Looked a little closer the tank has 2 grooves that guide the cap into tank a narrow groove and a wider groove but on the new cap both guides are wide. I can see where the interference is. Some creative file work , touch it up with some fine sand paper. I think it will be fine. Look at both your new and old caps you’ll see the difference. I’ll change out the ignition switch this winter.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/29/23 at 22:20:23

Ruttly wrote on 08/29/23 at 21:18:34:
Got a 96 tank and the new cap and it’s a tight fit in and out. Looked a little closer the tank has 2 grooves that guide the cap into tank a narrow groove and a wider groove but on the new cap both guides are wide. I can see where the interference is. Some creative file work , touch it up with some fine sand paper. I think it will be fine. Look at both your new and old caps you’ll see the difference. I’ll change out the ignition switch this winter.

A wide slot/tab and a narrow one means it's a california tank/cap.

You can easily exchange the lower part from each cap to convert from one to another.

As for the rubber gasket, if you don't have cracks in it, you can put another washer underneath the stock one to make it fit tighter.  You want a nytril or neoprene rubber as that's gas proof, but any rubber will do, it just won't last as long.  You can even use teflon for the spacer.

Another idea would be to take it to auto parts store and compare sizes with the caps there.  The washer itself may be available as a replacement item.

WWW   IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #4 - 08/30/23 at 07:17:39

I bought a piece of Viton rubber sheet from McMaster-Carr and cut a new gasket.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker (destroyed by fire)
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribut
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 07:26:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Fuel Gas Tank Cap

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.