can't get it to idle (Read 82 times)
Monkylove
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

can't get it to idle
08/25/23 at 07:03:00

Hi all,
2007 s40, bought as a non running project. I'd ultimately like to get it running and ride it some before the weather changes and then customize it over the winter.

I've worked on many motorcycles of many different brands over the years and have brought back many that were in much worse shape but I'm far from being an expert. just to give y'all some idea of my mechanical abilities.

I've added......

raptor petcock
sportster muffler
new battery
cleaned carb
fresh gas
confirmed that the float blow is getting gas

I can get it to start and run, but I can't get it to settle into an idle.  

Lots of popping and backfiring, sputters then dies.

i have a the flat slide carb that many have had success with but I'm hesitate to give up on the stock carb.  

my next move is to buy the parts unlimited rebuild kit (the oem suzuki kit is too rich for my blood) unless someone has some better advice. Honestly, the original doesn't look that bad (I've see much worse that worked after a good cleaning)

I'm not sure if the carb was rejeted from original. It had a straight pipe on it and the airbox was deleted.

What is the setting for the air fuel screw? I've got mine set at 2 turns out.

Thanks in advance and this seems to be a good site with lots of knowledgeable folks who really seem to know this bike

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: can't get it to idle
Reply #1 - 08/25/23 at 09:44:24

First thing I would check is that you have the vacuum port "capped" where the stock petcock vacuum line used to attach.

Then I would check your pilot jet.  The hole in the jet is very small, and even an ultrasonic cleaner has trouble clearing that tiny hole.  I know that folks don't like shoving things into jets as they can be scratched - but there just isn't any way to get a clogged pilot jet open.....I use a piece of guitar string.

The mixture screw doesn't really have a "standard" setting....they are adjusted as needed for your riding environment.  On any carb I initially start with the idle mixture screw out 1.5 turns.  If you have to turn the screw out more than 3 searching for a smooth idle....it does not get any richer and it is time for a larger jet.  You also have to drop the idle speed down to around 800 to be able to hear any difference when adjusting the mixture screw - the normal 1,100 rpm idle speed is pulling fuel from the needle jet and the mixture screw will seem like it is doing nothing.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Monkylove
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/25/23 at 09:54:01

thanks for the reply Dave. I did use a guitar string, B string I think , to clean that port.  

Can you say more about the vacuum port? where's it located? I'm certain I've neglected to block it off.  

Also, where does the hose with the spring sleeve plug into? I'm afraid I didn't take any pictures and my memory isn't what it used to be.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/25/23 at 10:12:21

Engine running while on side stand wrecks the cam.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Monkylove
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/25/23 at 10:18:37

thanks for that, but I have it on a lift

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 08/25/23 at 11:19:34

Ya welcome.. It's not something everyone knows and finding out someone hurt their engine just sux. Having a lift is a Good Thing. IDK how to help fix it, but if I can help someone avoid a disaster,, that sounds like a good thing.
You have some excellent mechanics around you. They will get ya over the hump.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Monkylove
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/25/23 at 11:33:24

thanks Justin. I'm very impressed with the knowledge I've read here. And shared with a minimum of attitude, which is appreciated.

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/25/23 at 12:04:39

If I could offer a meagre suggestion based on my limited experience it would be to ditch the stock carb.

The difference in responsiveness, backfiring, etc. I've had since switching to the VM36 is like night and day -- never looked back.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 08/25/23 at 12:12:46

Monkylove wrote on 08/25/23 at 07:03:00:
I've added......

raptor petcock
sportster muffler
new battery
cleaned carb
fresh gas
confirmed that the float blow is getting gas

I can get it to start and run, but I can't get it to settle into an idle.  

Lots of popping and backfiring, sputters then dies.

i have a the flat slide carb that many have had success with but I'm hesitate to give up on the stock carb.  

my next move is to buy the parts unlimited rebuild kit (the oem suzuki kit is too rich for my blood) unless someone has some better advice. Honestly, the original doesn't look that bad (I've see much worse that worked after a good cleaning)

I'm not sure if the carb was rejeted from original. It had a straight pipe on it and the airbox was deleted.

What is the setting for the air fuel screw? I've got mine set at 2 turns out.

Thanks in advance and this seems to be a good site with lots of knowledgeable folks who really seem to know this bike

no airbox, straight pipe, popping and backfiring, sputters then dies. it's going to be lean

what's jets did you try?

what air filter do you have?

does the muffler still have the baffle? can you see straight thru it?

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 08/25/23 at 12:44:25

Here is a link to the thread about the petcock and where to block off the vacuum line.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

The line with the metal wire wrap is the vacuum line, and it needs to be plugged (or removed and the nipple capped at the carb).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Monkylove
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/25/23 at 12:56:12

Thanks Dave, I thought so but didn't want to assume.

Verslayer, the sportster muffler has a baffle. I neglected to read the jet sizes when I cleaned the carb. I'll get back to y'all on that, as I'm likely to need to remove it again.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 08/25/23 at 14:41:42

while you're at it...
it's not uncommon to need to clean it twice or more to get it to run right.

blow those ports out good.

WWW   IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/27/23 at 18:08:25

If you had the top of the carb apart when you cleaned it you might want to double-check that the fuel and air jets didn't get mixed up.  Also, check that the float level is correct.  

The stock carb is perfectly capable if it's working correctly.  But since this was a non-running bike, it's hard to know exactly what might be causing the issues.  If the carb was gummed up badly, it's logical that's the culprit.  An
aftermarket or known good carb might save you a lot of headaches.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 08/28/23 at 04:41:29

You can get to the jets by dropping the bowl can't ya? Some people have accidentally left the washer out, that goes under the main, but you would know if you suddenly had a spare washer,, just tossing stuff out.

IP Logged
Monkylove
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 08/28/23 at 08:14:16

capped the vacuum line but still couldn't get it to run for more than a few of seconds.

I've got the jets soaking and I'll give it another try in a couple of days, or whenever I can get to it.

i had a hard time seeing any numbers on the jets. I'll try again after I get them out of the bath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:32:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › can't get it to idle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.