Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cam chain tensioner noise (Read 113 times)
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cam chain tensioner noise
08/21/23 at 13:20:26

Hey savages,

Just before a 70 mile return home yesterday, I noticed an un-rythmic tapping/clacking coming from the clutch side of the motor -- slightly high pitched, frequent but not in tune with RPMS.

my first thought obviously is the tensioner -- having no alternatives and an angry wife at home, I made a sign of the cross at hit the highway. No issues. Smooth ride (as far as south eastern pa roads allow, anyway).

Since returning home, I'm nervous about cranking the motor over. I could not feel a knock from the clutch cover itself, I thought it could be possible there is an exaust leak or maybe a loose valve, as the sound isn't EXACTLY localized without a stethoscope. It doesn't look like either of those are the issue (checked clearances today, seemed fine. No leaks. Performance wise I'm good.)

Obviously, I've got to pull that cover and see the condition of the tensioner. Upon my last check earlier this summer it was out about 18-19mm, slightly bowed, but no noise. I'm assuming the thing is still intact in there, otherwise I can't imagine I would have made it home for the 70 mile trip back.

Anyway here's what I'm curious about:

1) will the tensioner clatter while still together if the hole is ovaled?

2) I know the recommended solution is to check the chain for any stuff links, then install the verslavvy. Is it really not recommended to replace the chain also?

3) with the verslavvy installed, will the additional length allow the motor to eventually skip time with enough chain slack and brick the motor?

4) what is the recommended interval for chain replacement with the modified tensioner?

Local mechanic is quoting $400 in labor for the chain replacement. I would attempt this one in my friends garage but don't want to run it to his place (I can push it to the local mechanic).

Looks like the verslavvy currently runs around $200.

What would the community suggest here?

Thanks

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Cam chain tensioner noise
Reply #1 - 08/21/23 at 17:03:48

Surviving Philly wrote on 08/21/23 at 13:20:26:
1) will the tensioner clatter while still together if the hole is ovaled?

yes... sometimes no, it can flex upwards and stick there with no knocking.
Quote:
2) I know the recommended solution is to check the chain for any stuff links, then install the verslavy. Is it really not recommended to replace the chain also?

it's either/or situation, but whatever floats your boat before it becomes a boat anchor.
Quote:
3) with the verslavy installed, will the additional length allow the motor to eventually skip time with enough chain slack and brick the motor?

it's possible but not likely as the chain will most likely stop stretching when the pin hits the stop and you'll start hearing chain noise.
Quote:
4) what is the recommended interval for chain replacement with the modified tensioner?

that's wholly dependent on your riding style, short trips=short chain life.  but at a minimum you should double.
Quote:
Local mechanic is quoting $400 in labor for the chain replacement. I would attempt this one in my friends garage but don't want to run it to his place (I can push it to the local mechanic).

Looks like the verslavy currently runs around $200.

or $100 with your parts
[quote]

WWW   IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/23/23 at 13:50:48

Thanks Vers, Appreciate your insights.

I'll PM about the tensioner and hope to put an order in soon.

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/26/23 at 10:08:33

Out of curiosity, is there a recommended milage at which the chain should be replaced?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/26/23 at 12:15:57

Surviving Philly wrote on 08/26/23 at 10:08:33:
Out of curiosity, is there a recommended mileage at which the chain should be replaced?

no, short trips = short mileage... less than 10k miles
long trips = long mileage... greater than 30k miles

for an unmodified tensioner.
and double that for a modified tensioner after using the 2nd hole.

WWW   IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/26/23 at 12:25:16

Thanks vers,

I'm just so shocked by that 10k interval, even the 20k with the modified tensioner seems low to me.

I'm just shy of 20,000 on the stock tensioner waiting on your modified one (thanks again) hopeful I can get a lot more life out of the stock chain.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 08/28/23 at 01:54:52

My experience with cam chain wear indicates that they really don't wear much.  I've got 55K on the clock and the chain still isn't even close to the wear limit (128.9 mm or 5.070" over 21 pins).  I think the rear chain guide relaxes and results in a loose chain.  You should base your chain replacement on the wear limit, not an arbitrary mileage number.  

This old post provides some background info.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1593671973/0#14

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/28/23 at 11:25:37

Vers,

Tensioner came today -- want to commend you on the craftsmanship now that I have it in my hands, it's clearly very well/cleanly made. Appreciated.  

Mike,

Thanks for this  -- very interesting. I'll be sure to check the chain wear when I'm back in there. Is there a way to check the rear guide for wear without pulling it? If i remember correctly to pull out the guide you need to remove the head, right?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 08/28/23 at 20:41:04

Surviving Philly wrote on 08/28/23 at 11:25:37:
Vers,

Tensioner came today -- want to commend you on the craftsmanship now that I have it in my hands, it's clearly very well/cleanly made. Appreciated.  

Mike,

Thanks for this  -- very interesting. I'll be sure to check the chain wear when I'm back in there. Is there a way to check the rear guide for wear without pulling it? If i remember correctly to pull out the guide you need to remove the head, right?

you're welcome.

you can get the rear guide out w/out pulling the head but it will take some effort.
I think you'll need to pull the clutch, remove the gear to get enough chain slack to pull it down.
It can be difficult as the pivot end of the guide can get hung up on the head.

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 08/29/23 at 02:15:07

Yes, as Versy said, you can remove & replace the rear guide without pulling the head, but it can be difficult.  As he stated, you must remove the clutch to get sufficient clearance to remove the guide from the bottom.  You don't have to remove the cam sprocket or the head cover, but it's a real juggling act.  

When I initially set up my jack-bolt I wanted to make sure that I could remove the rear guide for periodic inspections.  So, I tested the concept.  It's very difficult but it can be done.  Putting it back in is a real pain.  It's very difficult to get the top hole to line up with the pin.  It also requires a ton of force to push it back up the chain cavity.

I personally don't think you need to remove the guide.  If you don't see any serious stuff goin on in the lower end, I think your guide will be good to go.  Likewise, I don't think you need to measure your chain.  My experience has been that the chains simply don't wear out.  The guide relaxes and that causes the chain to go slack.  Just put in the Verslavy tensioner and get back on the road.

I do recommend that you get into a regular inspection routine.  It's just too easy to check.  Why risk a failure.  Only takes about 30 minutes to pop off the clutch cover and take a look.

I remove my clutch cover every time I change oil.  I inspect the CCT, guides and chain to make sure they aren't fallin apart.  I also check the torque on my primary drive nut and balancer bolt.  I don't want the front end of the engine case blowin out like Celeste's.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/29/23 at 11:43:10

Alright,

A few things here.

I just threw the new verslavvy in. I hope this post can serve as a reference for future enthusiasts.

For starters, I've had this bike going on two years, from 3.5k to AROUND 20k. (not positive because of no odometer on mine. suspect it's over 20K)

I replaced my clutch at 10k miles, and the stock tensioner was about 18mm out. This was like last October, roughly. I use this bike as a year round all weather daily diver, a mix of short/long trips (mostly short city traffic, i'm a social worker for the homeless/mentally ill so i'm hoping on and off the bike all day meeting different people for different reasons.)

Since I got the bike, I've had a very loud, very pronounced typewriter type engine noise, that, eventually, developed into a very loud typewriter noise along with a distinct, metallic PING, that was infrequent, and did not match RPMs/valve timing.

You can see on this thread that I did check my valve clearances and they were within spec.

As soon as I fired the bike up after throwing the tensioner in, the first thing i noticed was how QUIET it was -- the metallic ping, the reason for me going down this rabbit hole, was gone--- but so was a lot of the loud typewriter chugging type noise I always thought was normal.

The hole on my tensioner is ovaled, pretty severely, and the tensioner was DEFINETLY on it's last legs. Sine getting the bike I have been changing the oil literally every 2000 miles, if not sooner, along with new filters. I have had a couple over heating issues in the past, due to exuast leaks and and lean conditions.

I installed my modified tensioner on the second (new) hole, and it's about half way bottomed out. Timing chain is definetly in my near future. (or, according to info on this threat, maybe just the guides, who knows.)

Thank you to Vers and DBM for all your input, wisdom and vers for the part. Very good purchase. Just shocked. Time to get drunk.

EDIT: Vers do you want the used tensioner? I'll send it out if so. Pluber is still good as far as I can tell.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/29/23 at 16:47:51

There is a good chance you won't need a timing chain.  

DBM has pointed out that the guide flattens out.  The issue is that it can flatten out to the point where the stock tensioner falls apart. Varslagen1's modified tensioner solves this problem.  The guide can only flatten so much.  Don't overthink it.  

Smiley

« Last Edit: 08/29/23 at 18:26:06 by ohiomoto »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 07:29:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam chain tensioner noise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.