Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Starter solenoid short. Nightmare (Read 65 times)
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Starter solenoid short. Nightmare
07/31/23 at 00:29:19

Hey guys, so long story short I parked my bike last night. Woke up at about 1:00 a.m. to a loud bang and the sound of it starting by itself. I went downstairs and it was on its side. The back wheel spinning as it was parked  in gear.  
The only thing I had at hand quickly to make it stop was wire cutters and I cut the positive battery cable as quickly as possible.

The key was not in the ignition or anything like that. Something shorted in the bike had tried to start itself.

I wasn't able to find any continuity between power and the frame. However, when I press the starter button, the starter get stuck closed and will keep trying to start.

I also noticed that when it was stuck closed I would get continuity from the hot terminals of the relay to the frame.

I tested the two smaller wires. They only have 12 volt power when the ignition button is pressed and the key is on.

I'm really not sure what went wrong or where the short occurred, but it did look like the wire was coming out of the battery post on the starter relay so I think maybe it's shorted out somehow.

My main concern is the continuity from the hot terminals of the solenoid to the frame when it is stuck closed. Is this meant to happen?

IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Re: Starter solenoid short. Nightmare
Reply #1 - 07/31/23 at 01:03:01

Could it be Climate change?I hear on the news that even mountains are shifting as a result.

Unless there are mice or squirrels building a nest and fiddle with the wiring to get more space,
I wouldn't look for it in the wiring but in the moving parts of the electrical diagram.
I think your starter relay is broken and the contacts that power your starter motor are not releasing properly.

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/31/23 at 01:07:01

Thanks.
Yes the relay is definitely stuck. It seems to be open but as soon s it gets power it gets stuck closed.

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/31/23 at 05:37:14

From what I understand there are two main suspects here, the relay over the carb or the relay on the decomp.

Looking into this I think when you hit the starter button, voltage goes from a relay to the decomp solenoid and then to the actual starter -- it's possible to put 12v on the decomp solenoid and get the starter running without even having the ignition switch on from what I've heard.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/31/23 at 08:39:40

Your starter/decomp controller (black box over the carb) is fried
It’s powered all the time and when water gets in can corrode some of the components causing a short
You can pull the box out to stop the problem for now

WWW   IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/31/23 at 09:40:23

verslagen1 wrote on 07/31/23 at 08:39:40:
Your starter/decomp controller (black box over the carb) is fried
It’s powered all the time and when water gets in can corrode some of the components causing a short
You can pull the box out to stop the problem for now

Is there a way to test this to make sure it's faulty?

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 07/31/23 at 10:27:57

I assume you have the battery disconnected to prevent the starter from cranking continuously.  

To test the decompression relay, just disconnect it by pulling the plug out.  Then reconnect your battery cable and see if the starter is still cranking the engine.

If the starter is still cranking the engine, the starter relay contacts are stuck.  If the starter is no longer cranking the engine, the decompression relay contacts are stuck, or possibly the starter button contacts are stuck.

Another option is to disconnect the plug to the starter relay.  Then reconnect the battery cable.  If the starter is still automatically cranking, then the starter relay contacts are stuck closed.

This is the decomp relay plug.

Decomp_Controller_Plug_RW_Pwr_Wire_002.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 07/31/23 at 10:29:43

This is the plug for the starter relay.  If you disconnect this plug and the starter is still cranking away, then the starter relay contacts are stuck closed.

Starter_Solenoid_Plug_Under_Seat_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/31/23 at 15:07:04

Thanks Mike.
I'll check shortly.
When I disconnected power and then reconnect not. It stops cranking. However as soon I input power back through the starter relay by pushing the button, it gets stuck and the hot terminals show continuity bro ground.
I checked the small wires at the starter and they only get 12v when I press the button so the switch itself isn't stuck.

IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/31/23 at 16:23:32

After disconnecting both the plugs you suggested, the starter still engages and has a short to ground.

I would like to replace the decomp relay too as it is the original unit. Will the bike run without it for now? I'm not using the decompression on my savage 400 head anyway

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 07/31/23 at 19:02:08

If you have the 400 then you don’t need the starter decomp controller anyway
Just short the starter button to the starter relay

WWW   IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/31/23 at 19:42:31

Thanks Vers. Yeah I have the 400 head on the 650. Could you advise what pins to short?

I have it working again now. Just replaced the starter relay.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 07/31/23 at 21:21:36

Center of the plug on 1 side and down 1 on the other
Confirm with a vm