YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
shifting issue
07/25/23 at 22:07:27

been working on a friends bike, won't stay in second.
the arm was a little loose on the shaft so I tightened it up and it's worse
It'll go into 2nd but won't stay, can't even hold the lever up to keep it there
I'll try moving the arm on the shaft 1 spline but I'm concerned the issue is in the mechanism.

WWW   IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Re: shifting issue
Reply #1 - 07/26/23 at 01:45:17

If I'm too eager, I'll go from 1st to neutral, instead of 2nd, embarrassing, especially at a stop light !
cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 07/26/23 at 03:46:37

I can't remember anyone having mechanical troubles with the shifting on a Savage.......the transmission is pretty darn reliable.

The shift from 1st to 2nd is the longest throw in the pattern...it passes from 1st through Neutral to 2nd.  It is possible that something is not allowing the shifter or linkage to complete the entire process and is stopping just short of the distance needed to get 2nd gear fully engaged.

Try cleaning/lubing the shifter mechanism and linkage.  If that doesn't help then try leaving the linkage off and manually moving the shift shaft into second gear and see of the bike will stay in 2nd gear when you ride it.  If that fails....maybe something is broken or bent inside the transmission.  I don't really know what goes on behind that cover that is down by the pulley....maybe something in there is bent or broken.  A fall or heavy stomp on the shift lever may have bent or broken something.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #3 - 07/26/23 at 07:26:57

If someone who had it loves slamming through the gears, especially without using the clutch,  the cogs can get rounded enough to pop out of gear.  

Usually happens on 3rd and 4th on most the trannies Ive rebuild, but can happen to any gear.  Some are more prone than others.

But if thats the case, once they are rounded all you can do is replace them.

And just for reference I dont think Ive been able to rebuild a tranny for less than about $800.  That might just be me, I gotta replace every gasket and seal if im in there and anything that looks worn.

Just food for thought.

WWW   IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #4 - 07/26/23 at 07:57:53

I just had my shifter cover off yesterday to replace the seal and gasket.  There are two springs under the cover - one over the shift shaft, and the other under the mechanism.  I would remove that cover to see if one of the springs broke.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker (destroyed by fire)
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribut
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/26/23 at 11:54:14

The rod that connects the shift lever to the shifting arm is probably bent.  This causes poor shifting and it will most likely break at some point.  You can bend it straight but I would replace it.  Riding home in first or second gear is no fun.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/suzuki/25525-21E50?ref=cc8dedf8fe6ab72d6d77...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/26/23 at 14:08:41

Rod looks straight.

I think this is an '87, I recall a couple of posts of bent mechs on early bikes.

I'll have to look further.

But easy stuff 1st, I'll make an arm adjustment.

Also, the way I put jackstands under the front pegs is different on this bike.
Normally I can get the left stand all the way under (there's a lip on the jackstand) the standoff for the upper bolt (between kickstand mount and frame).  This one is just barely under, just the lip is under the bolt.  The shifter is blocking the stand.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 08/01/23 at 11:45:08

Ok, shifter removed, cleaned and lubricated… no change.
Shifts into 2nd then pops out
Shift into 3rd ok tried shifting into 2nd again and same thing.

Going to assume it’s internal and ask owner which way to go here as he has another engine

Ok that done, I saw a couple of interesting things on this bike.
1, an indicator light on the starter. It was a common panel light wired to the starter positive lead and ground. Totally unnecessary but interesting. Would only light when cranking.
2, on removing the seat I found 1 side had the bolt attached to the seat but not through the frame. Hmmm what if you put the bolt in from the back so there was a pin to attach to the frame and just bolt the high side?
Could work.

WWW   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 08/02/23 at 22:32:57

I do like the crank light , instant no crank diagnose , no light it could be anything anywhere, got a light and no crank its the starter gone bad or low voltage condition.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 00:49:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › shifting issue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.