Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
PWK40 Knockoff with E-Tube (Read 124 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: PWK40 Knockoff with E-Tube
Reply #30 - 07/23/23 at 03:03:03

The carb came with a #170 main jet and a #50 pilot jet.  Don’t know what these jets would be used on.  I suspect a very large two-stroke engine.  In Savage Land, those jets are like a flash-flood.  I will probably start with a #140 main and a #35 pilot, needle clip in the center groove.

I am cautiously optimistic about this new knockoff.  I like the idea of having the emulsion tube to flatten out fuel delivery, and the other new features look like they will improve the carburetor as well.  Overall quality looks good.

I can’t wait to try this carb.  My old school PWK is running well.  It purrs like a kitten and roars like a lion.  It will be a hard act to follow, but there is always room for improvement.  Maybe I can squeeze out a few more miles per gallon, or get crisper response.  As a minimum, I will learn a few things.

If any of you have a PWK knockoff with the E-Tube, please share your experience.  How does it run?  Was it hard to tune?  How’s your fuel mileage?  Starting, idle, throttle response, power???

I am currently doing a long-term test on my lubrication system.  I don’t want to change anything while I’m in the middle of that test.  I want to go 10,000 miles and then do a thorough inspection to verify that the gears and bearings are holding up.  If all goes well, I should be installing this new E-Tube carb in a couple of months.  

Stay tuned.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #31 - 07/23/23 at 16:49:30

Hey Mike!  Amazing analysis!!  I really liked the Kool Aid illustration.  LOL.

I bought mine from USAMOTOKING.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/155136268286

I actually sold my S40 project, but still checking-in here for good stuff like this.  As you recall, I kinda called it good enough at a #40 pilot and #145 main with the Jardine exhaust.  If I would have kept the bike, I could have dropped down to a #38 primary.  I ended up landing at about 50mpg which was my goal after correcting those big jets and loose manifold connection (again, thanks for all your guidance on that!!).

I honestly don't fully comprehend a lot of your analysis, but it doesn't sound like you found anything significant enough to alter your mind about starting with a #35 and #140, huh?

Let us know how it goes!  I'm interested!  FYI - I bought a 2006 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750DC in mint condition and only 2600 miles.  It was owned by a guy that treated it like a trophy bike in his garage and I got a great deal.  I couldn't pass it up.  I'm really enjoying it!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #32 - 07/29/23 at 10:48:09

Paul, sorry to hear you switched rides.  :'(

What can you tell us about the Honda in comparison to the Savage?  Maybe you could do a comparison and post it.  Power, comfort, handling, brakes, suspension, etc.  How my Savage 650 stacked up against my Honda 750.

Thanks for the info on your source for the carb.  Looks like they're right around the corner from Dave and they suggest it for a honkin BIG 2-stroke.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #33 - 07/29/23 at 14:37:20

I am looking for my next Savage project.  I love the smoothness of the Honda and its stability over 65+mph (night and day comparison).  I wanted something that I would feel a little more comfortable, stable, and confident on the highway for the occasional times I highway ride.  I do miss being able to flick around the Savage.  The Honda is about 520lbs compared to 380 for the Savage (wet weight comparison).

Tinkering with the Savage is way easier!  The VT750 has dual carbs and I just pray they stay in sync.  I don't have the equipment or know-how to sync carbs.  Dialed in the air/fuel mix hoping I'm properly synced.  I think it is.  The prior owner had the carbs cleaned/rebuilt by a buddy.  The air box duct work wasn't put back together well and I had to get all that straightened out and dial-in the air/fuel mix. Runs great!  Looks awesome!

I think you're right about it somewhat intended for a big 2-stroke.  I think some ads referenced a big Honda 500 2-stroke.

IMG_2854.jpeg
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #34 - 07/30/23 at 16:09:54

Paul, you weren't kiddin when you said that Honda is in mint condition.  That's a beauty.  Thanks for sharing the pic.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #35 - 07/30/23 at 16:16:52

Thanks Mike!  I couldn't pass it up!  It's like new.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 09:56:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › PWK40 Knockoff with E-Tube

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.