Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
PWK40 Knockoff with E-Tube (Read 124 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
PWK40 Knockoff with E-Tube
07/23/23 at 02:32:56

I have been dyin to get my hands on one of these for a long time.  It may look like a regular Keihin PWK carb, but it’s a knockoff with an unusual brass contraption between the metering block and the main jet.  The Duderino has one, ThumperPaul has one, and The Sneeze has one.  I was anxious to learn more about it.

Nice_Carb.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: PWK40 Knockoff with E-Tube
Reply #1 - 07/23/23 at 02:34:37

Both the Dude and Sneezy got their carbs from JFG Racing.  I’m not sure where ThumperPaul got his.  When I searched the web, I always came up dry.  Then I found this.  The Amazon add said the brand is “JFG Racing” and the seller is “Jin Yao”.  I decided to take a chance.

This is the link.

https://www.amazon.com/Carburetor-Universal-Compatible-Scooter-Motorcycle/dp/...

Amazon_PWK40_ETube.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 07/23/23 at 02:35:38

It’s a knockoff, and like all knockoffs there’s risk.  I might end up with a standard PWK like the ones I already have.  Curiosity overwhelmed me.  I really wanted to know exactly what’s inside one of these newer knockoffs with the unusual brass jet holder.  The minimal entry fee was worth the risk.  I ordered it, and in about four days the box was in front of my door.  That was a big improvement over the one-month wait time for the last knockoff.

There isn’t much difference when looking at the outside of the carb.  On the left side, you can see that the plastic idle stop screw has been replaced with a brass screw (nice upgrade), and you can see that the idle air screw looks different (it sticks out a bit and the head is larger).  Other than those two items, it looked the same as the other knockoffs I had purchased.

Left_Side.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 07/23/23 at 02:36:31

I screwed the top off and was pleasantly surprised.  The slide looked good.  The chrome plating was a lot better.  This is the load bearing side.  The chrome looks smooth, no pits or bubbles.

Slide_Good_Chrome.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 07/23/23 at 02:37:03

The upstream side had a few funky spots, but overall, it was much better than the previous knockoffs.

Slide_Fair_Chrome.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 07/23/23 at 02:37:39

It’s a #7 slide.  A letter “W” drill bit fits under the edge of the cutaway.

Slide_7.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 07/23/23 at 02:38:21

The slide needle is different.  The basic diameter is a lot smaller.  None of the available Keihin needles are close to this small.  If it needs a new needle, I am out of luck.  Here it is next to a genuine Keihin DGK (DGK on top, new needle on bottom).

Needle_next_to_genuine_DGK.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 07/23/23 at 02:39:11

Remove the float bowl and you will immediately see that the main jet configuration is different.  There is an extra brass piece.  Unlike the older knockoffs where the main jet was threaded directly into the aluminum metering block, these newer versions have some sort of brass piece between the metering block and the main jet.

ETube_threads_into_metering_block.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 07/23/23 at 02:39:51

Turns out the brass piece is an emulsion tube.  I’ll refer to it as the “E-Tube”.  Those little holes in the side of the tube alter the fuel delivery curve and admit air bubbles into the liquid gasoline.  The bubbles mix with the liquid and form an emulsion (i.e. foam).  The foam is lighter, so it responds faster to changes in vacuum, and promotes atomization.  That’s my limited understanding of the concept.

ETube__111.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 07/23/23 at 02:40:46

For wide open throttle (WOT) operation, the holes at the top of the emulsion tube affect lower rpm, and the holes at the bottom affect higher rpm.  Whack the throttle wide open at 2500 rpm, and the holes at the top of the tube come into play.  As the fuel level in the emulsion cavity goes down, it begins to uncover more holes, so at maybe 4000 rpm the holes in the middle of the tube come into play.  By the time the engine reaches 6000 rpm, the fuel level in the emulsion cavity has uncovered the holes at the bottom of the tube, so now all the holes are in play.

It works like a soda straw that has holes in the side of the straw.

Straw_with_Holes.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 07/23/23 at 02:41:23

Put the straw in a glass of KoolAide (I like lime).  When you first start drinking, it doesn’t take much suction to get the KoolAide up the straw.

All_Holes_Covered.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #11 - 07/23/23 at 02:42:01

But as the level of KoolAide goes down, it starts to uncover holes in the side of the straw, and those holes permit air into the straw.  The air breaks the vacuum.  So, you must compensate by sucking a little harder.  As the level of KoolAide continues to drop, you must suck harder and harder to get a mouthful.

Holes_Uncovered.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 07/23/23 at 02:44:51

Venturi vacuum vs air flow is a quadratic function.  It is not linear.  As air flows through the venturi, the vacuum at the top of the needle jet increases exponentially.  So, when the air flow doubles the vacuum increases like four times.  That makes the fuel mixture go richer and richer as the rpm increases, but you want the air/fuel ratio to remain relatively constant (about 12.5:1).  To compensate, carburetors use air correction to try and maintain a reasonable mixture over a wide range of rpm.

The standard PWK and the Mikuni VM use a simple air correction system that does OK, but it fails to achieve a perfect air/fuel ratio over the entire range.  Both these carbs go rich at high rpm (when the throttle is wide open).  That’s why the aftermarket has come up with third fuel circuits like the “Thunderjet”, or the “Dial-A-Jet”, or the “InteliJet”, or the “Power Jet”.

You can put in a larger main airbleed to try and correct the rich condition at high rpm, but then you end up with a lean condition at lower rpm.  You can put in a smaller main jet to try and correct the rich condition at high rpm, but that will also result in going lean at lower rpm.  You can fiddle around with the airbleed and main jet until you go nuts, but you will probably never be completely satisfied.

This problem only pertains to WOT conditions.  At part throttle, the needle jet and slide needle are takin care of business.  But snap the throttle all the way open and those two components are out of the picture.  At WOT, you are relying on the main jet and air correction system to deliver fuel at the proper ratio.  That’s a tall order for a fixed jet with a fixed airbleed.

The emulsion tube offers a little bit of relief.  As the venturi vacuum increases exponentially, the fuel level in the emulsion well is dropping, and more emulsion holes are being uncovered.  The additional air correction helps to compensate for the exponentially higher vacuum.  It’s not perfect, but it should be an improvement over a simple airbleed system that only admits air at the very top of the needle jet.  With an emulsion tube, the naturally occurring drop in fuel level adds more air correction as the rpm rises.  It adds another dynamic component to the air correction system.

This YouTube vid does a nice job of explaining the quadratic behavior of a venturi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvOqNwNuuAA

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #13 - 07/23/23 at 02:46:11

Just above the emulsion tube is the needle jet.  It comes right out when you remove the emulsion tube.  Here’s a look at how things stack up in the metering block.  Fuel enters through the main jet and fills the emulsion tube and surrounding cavity.  At idle, the fuel level in the cavity is the same as the fuel level in the float bowl.  As engine speed increases, the fuel level in the cavity begins to drop because the main jet restricts the flow of fuel into the emulsion tube.  Pretty clever.

NJ_ETube_MJ.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 07/23/23 at 02:47:30

With the E-Tube and needle jet removed, you can see how the main airbleed passage ties into the emulsion cavity.  Just shine a flashlight up the hole in the metering block and look through the main airbleed.

Main_Air_Bleed_Light_thru_Metering_Block.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:28:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › PWK40 Knockoff with E-Tube

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.