Clutch rod replacement? (Read 64 times)
goofin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

harrisburg pa
Clutch rod replacement?
07/06/23 at 15:01:08

with just under 15000 miles on it Her 2006 S40 needs some tlc. Clutch started slipping under hard acceleration and since im opening the case to replace the cam chain tenioner, i figured id do the clutch. EBC pates and springs, Barnett steels. New seals and gasket. I have a new clutch cable as well. Since Ill have it in the living room and air conditioning i figured id go over it all. July 28th will mark 1 year since Bernie passed away and i want to take her bike to the beach to spread Bernies ashes.Sorry for getting side tracked.. if im replacing clutch discs and steels, do i need to replace the stock clutch rod with the longer one?
I only want to tear it down once, im waiting on a few other parts so if I have to order another rod, its no big deal

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Clutch rod replacement?
Reply #1 - 07/06/23 at 16:16:29

IDK the answers to all your questions, but don't miss the o ring in the side cover that the clutch rod runs through.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 07/06/23 at 17:26:33

Before you tear it apart......look at the right side case and see where the location of the chrome clutch actuating lever is when the slack is taken out and the lever is just beginning to release the clutch.  If the arm is located between the marks that show the proper place for the lever.....then the rid and clutch plates are fine, and your problem is elsewhere.

Also be sure there is a bit of free play in the lever and cable before the actuating lever at the engine engages the clutch.

Using oils with friction modifiers or too much moly can cause your clutch to slip.  Do not use oils with a "Energy Saving" mark or comments on the bottle.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/06/23 at 18:02:23

My condolences.  That ride to the beach on Bernie's bike will be perfect.

IP Logged
goofin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

harrisburg pa
Reply #4 - 07/06/23 at 19:30:56

thank you

IP Logged
goofin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

harrisburg pa
Reply #5 - 07/06/23 at 19:36:56

Dave wrote on 07/06/23 at 17:26:33:
Before you tear it apart......look at the right side case and see where the location of the chrome clutch actuating lever is when the slack is taken out and the lever is just beginning to release the clutch.  If the arm is located between the marks that show the proper place for the lever.....then the rid and clutch plates are fine, and your problem is elsewhere.

Also be sure there is a bit of free play in the lever and cable before the actuating lever at the engine engages the clutch.

Using oils with friction modifiers or too much moly can cause your clutch to slip.  Do not use oils with a "Energy Saving" mark or comments on the bottle.

A quick look indicates the the clutch arm is at the upper mark. Im off Friday and plan to dig into it more. Ive always used Rotella T4 since i picked it up, it had less than 4100 miles on it. ill adjust the cable and take it for a ride. Atleast if it does require new parts, ill have them, if not they are paid for and I dont have to feed them..lol

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 07/07/23 at 03:52:02

I believe that as the clutch wears....the lever moves downward and you get toward the bottom mark.

If that is so....your slippage is likely not because the clutch plates are worn.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #7 - 07/07/23 at 07:59:19

If you are putting in stiffer clutch springs, you may want to consider upgrading the clutch cam to one of my AR500 ones to avoid having the stock one break under the increased clutch force.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker (destroyed by fire)
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribut
  IP Logged
goofin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

harrisburg pa
Reply #8 - 07/07/23 at 08:57:50

Dave wrote on 07/07/23 at 03:52:02:
I believe that as the clutch wears....the lever moves downward and you get toward the bottom mark.

If that is so....your slippage is likely not because the clutch plates are worn.

The top picture is the arm location with the clutch lever pulled all the way in. the bottom picture is clutch lever normal, all slack removed from arm.

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/07/23 at 19:31:43

I think it's possible for the friction disks to be worn enough to cause slippage without being able to tell by looking at the indicator marks  -- it's also possible the basket or hub could be warn (grooves in the basket spokes OR hub face wear) which can cause slippage but wouldn't necessarily have an effect on the position of the lever.

But that being said, my personal course of action here would be to first make sure the cable/perch are adjusted correctly and the cable is lubricated since the entire clutch assembly is so sensitive. Since you already have the pack why not go ahead and install it.

As far as the rod goes, having just been down this rabbit hole myself (thanks again Dave for your words of wisdom) I don't think any rod length other than the stock rod needs to be used, especially with a brand new clutch pack, unless that pack is aftermarket and very different spec from stock in terms of thickness.

Edit: I want to add too that the indicator marks are to be read with the clutch engaged, I.E. lever not pulled in. just with slack taken out of the line.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/07/23 at 19:43:10

goofin wrote on 07/07/23 at 08:57:50:
all slack removed from arm.

---------------
All slack removed from the arm???  

Are you referring to the arm or is that how the cable is adjusted?  There should always be a few mm or slack in the cable.  If you don't, that might be your issue.

IP Logged
goofin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

harrisburg pa
Reply #11 - 07/08/23 at 09:49:16

ohiomoto wrote on 07/07/23 at 19:43:10:
goofin wrote on 07/07/23 at 08:57:50:
all slack removed from arm.

---------------
All slack removed from the arm???  

Are you referring to the arm or is that how the cable is adjusted?  There should always be a few mm or slack in the cable.  If you don't, that might be your issue.

i replaced the cable so i had to adjust everything so it had the proper amount of free play in it, thus removing all the extra slack in it. unfortunately im on call this weekend and haven't ridden it yet.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 05:26:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch rod replacement?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.