front brake problem. (Read 58 times)
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
front brake problem.
07/04/23 at 02:18:43

I'm cleaning my frontbrake, and  I noticed that when I press the brake lever the piston moves out, but not back anymore.
I've tried with heavy pliers and bench screw but no matter what I try...no movement back.

I suspect It,s something wrong with the brake pump because the piston and caliper are in very good condition with no oxide.

Does any body know is what's going on? It there a quick fix or do I have to take it all apart?

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Front brake piston does not move back.
Reply #1 - 07/04/23 at 04:04:15

If you cannot compress the piston back into the caliper - then it sounds like you have some corrosion that is likely at fault, and you need to take the piston out and see what is going on.

Most of the time I will take the caliper off and use compressed air to push the piston out of the caliper - however it is messy and you should wrap the caliper in an old towel or rag as brake fluid will spray when the piston comes out.  Yesterday I tried this on the left front caliper on my car as it was sticking, and compressed air would not get the piston to move.  I had to bolt the caliper back to the hydraulic line and pump the brake pedal to push the piston out of the caliper.  When I got it apart I discovered that rust had developed on the caliper between the rubber fluid seal and the rubber dust cover....the rust had expanded and locked the piston into place.  I cleaned it up and sanded the rust off the caliper - the piston has some light pitting that I sanded with 600 grit to remove the rough areas, then I lightly lubed the piston and seals with silicone grease.......this is a temporary repair to get me back on the road and it will work until I can get a replacement ordered and installed.

You can do the same thing on the Savage - unbolt the caliper from the fork leg and put a plastic bag around the caliper or put it in a bucket, and keep moving the brake lever until the piston comes out.  Then disconnect the brake line and take the caliper apart and clean it up and inspect it.  There is likely corrosion on the piston or caliper.  If the piston has rust and pits.....it will need to be replaced, and it could be time to order new rubber parts as well.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: front brake problem.
Reply #2 - 07/04/23 at 04:43:09

Tanks Dave.
It must the be planets creating a brake problems constelation.

I took it apart and a,m happy I dit.

The oil.... Shocked
It turned in to a strange color and formed christals and big lumps about 3-6mm.

The piston has a spot where the aluminum and piston had rubbed.
So I polish everything.

I don't trust the rubber so I replace it.
I throw everything in the ultrasonic to make sure no holes are clogged.
And maybe I'll throw a new brake line on it.

Tanks for your time Dave, I appreciate it.

IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/04/23 at 06:28:53

Update:

I found the cause. Cool

There are 2 holes in the bottom of the reservoir. The hole, which is covered with a stainless steel protective cap, is miniscule and it was tightly closed with dirt.

Clean hole:

I am glad that everything has been taken apart and that it is now clean. The rubbers appear to be intact and strong and elastic, so I don,t replace them.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 07/04/23 at 14:32:50

Brake fluid is supposed to be changed regularly........most often owners don't change it until the brakes stop working properly.

If you only ride on dry days and your bike is stored in a climate controlled garage - you can get away with some neglect.  If your bike sits outside or under a carport with open sides, and you live in a wet climate you need to pay more attention to maintenance.  (Changing fluids and greasing pivot points).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/05/23 at 04:13:45

Thanks for helping making my motorcycle great again Dave.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 05:33:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › front brake problem.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.