Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Steering Damper
06/12/23 at 03:23:32

Yesterday was a rainy day and I was able to work on a project that I have been wanting to try for a while.

My Cafe' bike steering is really light, and you can wiggle the bars and the bike will quickly shimmy in response.  I have only had one tank slapper in the 16,000 plus miles I have ridden it - a pavement hump at a bridge threw the bike up in the air and me off the seat at 70mph, and when I landed on the front wheel the forks began to shake from side to side for half a second.  The loose steering is likely a combination of the steeper fork angle caused by lowering the forks 2" and raising the back 2", going to a larger 18" rear wheel and a smaller 18" front wheel with a small 90/90-18 front tire.  I have gotten used to riding the bike this way and the light steering touch doesn't bother me - but it is a bit scary to folks who ride it for the first time.

I wanted to see if a steering damper would help to settle the steering down a bit.  I took the damper off my F800 BMW and it seemed like it could work - so I watched eBay for a while and waited for a reasonably priced one to come along......after about 6 months I finally was able to get one that was priced acceptably and in good shape.

The pivot point on the forks is the hole on the left side that was previously used to mount the brake line on the stock bike.  The hole was tapped for a 6mm screw - I drilled and enlarged it to an 8x1.25 screw size to match the steering damper.

I began the process of making the mount by drawing a cardboard template that was approximately the shape I needed, then I cut up a block of aluminum to the rough shape/size.  The aluminum was likely a bit thicker than I needed - but at this point I wasn't sure how far the pivot point for the damper needed to be away from the frame for clearance.

IMG_1552.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Steering Damper
Reply #1 - 06/12/23 at 03:27:48

After I was able to determine where the mounting point was going to be I drilled and tapped the hole for the 8x1.25 pivot bolt.  Then was then able to mill the thickness down, and cut out an excess hunk at the bottom that stuck out below the frame.  I then put the piece in my lathe so i could make the pivot mounting point round to match the damper mount.  This was a bit intimidating to me, as I am a very amateur lathe operator and cutting on irregular shaped pieces is something I don't have a lot of experience with.

IMG_1563.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 06/12/23 at 03:30:21

I was able to get the piece turned down without hurting myself, the lathe or the work piece.  I did have to put masking tape on the flat piece of the part while I was cutting on it - the flat surfaces would reflect the light and cause a very distracting "strobe light" effect and it was hard to keep my eyes focused on the area I was cutting.

IMG_1564.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 06/12/23 at 03:36:00

The next step was to round off a few of the corners with a sander to get rid of the sharp corners and make it look more like a casting.  I did a little of this and and then worked on the mounting holes = final shaping will be done later once the piece was fitted.  I mounted the damper without the spacers so that it would keep the damper square and ensure that it was mounted straight.

I drilled the 3 mounting holes - but I only drilled one full size so that I could use the smaller holes as guides to drill the frame in the right location and keep the holes straight.  I tapped the frame to 6x1.00.

IMG_1565.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 06/12/23 at 03:37:56

Once I had the other two holes drilled properly in the frame I removed the mount and drilled/countersunk the holes and then tapped the frame for the screws, and installed the spacers/seals on the damper.

IMG_1566.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 06/12/23 at 03:39:54

I then rerouted and secured the front brake line to the front pivot point.

Today will be good weather so I will go for a ride and see if it makes any improvement.

If the damper proves to be an improvement, then I will remove the mount and finish the process of smoothing out the angles so it looks more like a casting, then powder coat it black so that it blends in with the frame.

IMG_1567.JPG

IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/12/23 at 03:51:35

Very cool stuff Dave.
Good idea

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 06/12/23 at 05:26:34

I was able to go for a short ride this morning......the roads are too wet and it is too cold to go for a long/twisty ride.

The initial impression is that the damper has helped.  It still steers very easily - but the bike is a bit less sensitive.

I may explore buying an adjustable damper if this damper proves to be a bit weak.

IMG_1568.JPG

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #8 - 06/12/23 at 08:18:28

Nice work Dave!

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/12/23 at 16:59:56

Cool.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 06/13/23 at 13:47:10

I was able to get the cleaned up and powder coated this morning, and then I put it back on the bike and went for a ride.

The damper has settled the steering down a little bit - it is still a very easy steering bike.  If you jiggle the bars while riding - the bike responds quickly and it jiggles as well.

I don't remember the bike being this jiggly when I had the Bridgestone Battlax BT45 tires on the bike.....either in the 90/90-18 or 100/80-18 sizes.  It turns out that the BT45 has a design that helps bikes that are unsettled become more stable in a straight line....which is really the only place my bike feels it could be better.  The newer BT46 version also has this benefit according to Ryan at Fortnine.

The reason I stopped using the BT45 is that the tread on the sides has little blocks that wear unevenly when leaned over, and they become pretty noisy as the tire wears and you lean into a corner.  When I took them off I put on a pair of Michelin Pilot Sport Active tires.....and that is when the twitchy steering became noticeable (I also put on a set of waaay too stiff rear shocks at the same time....and that also contributed to the poor handling).

With the steering damper, the better rear shocks and the Avon Road Rider tires the bike is doing much better and I will have no issues riding it the rest of the year to wear these tires out.  Then I likely will go back to a set of the Bridgestone BT46 tires.

IMG_1571.JPG

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #11 - 06/13/23 at 14:02:39

Well go wring it out  , do the Ton , that where it all starts 90+. See if it helps , rear wheel is stable while front gives me an uneasy feel.  The more smooth and stable a bike feels usually it goes faster.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 06/13/23 at 18:11:14

That's a beautiful installation Dave.  Looks like it rolled off the assembly line with that damper.  I really like the job you did.

Respect.  Cool

How are you cutting up your aluminum stock?  I use a ten-inch chop saw with a plywood blade (carbide).  Been doin it for years.  I even lobbed off a 4" diameter slice of 6061.  What are you using to chop off those big chunks?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #13 - 06/13/23 at 21:55:40

Most Ducati singles from the '60s-'80s were equipped with a 'damper' that ran through the steering pivot and acted as a friction point to tighten up the steering response.

https://www.eurojamb.com/collections/ducati-chassis/products/ducati-narrowcas...  mine worked well.
Different strokes......
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 06/14/23 at 03:26:16

DragBikeMike wrote on 06/13/23 at 18:11:14:
How are you cutting up your aluminum stock?

I have a very nice metal band saw that I use to cut my parts with.  I was lucky enough to find it many years ago and bought it from a man in his  80's who spent his days rebuilding Bridgeport milling machines.  He used a fork lift to pickup and move everything as he was no longer strong enough to lift heavy things.

The "Hack" that I used in making this piece is using a Forstner bit to countersink the screw holes in the aluminum.  Amazingly the Forstner bits work incredibly well with a normal drill press in aluminum.  I first drill a small pilot hole to allow the sharp point of the Forstner bit to have a path to travel....as the point has no cutting ability and doesn't need that when used in wood.  I drill at a pretty low speed and don't use a lubricant, and it cuts incredibly well and the hole is clean.  The bit and work piece don't get hot.  After I drill the counterunk hole with the Forstner I then drill the hole for the screw through the smaller pilot hole.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 03:21:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Steering Damper

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.