Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Stranded? (Read 95 times)
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Stranded?
06/01/23 at 21:13:33

Motorcycle riding tip #27 - if you get stranded, make sure it's somewhere beautiful!

I was buzzing down the highway doing about 50 mph, and all the electrical went dead.  Pulled in the clutch and coasted to a stop.  Battery has a full charge, all fuses still good, no wires are melted or hot.  The wiring diagram and volt meter are going to be my best friends tomorrow.   Undecided

351014835_1423039825193345_2184637770334945598_n.jpg

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Stranded?
Reply #1 - 06/02/23 at 00:09:36

And I was lookin forward to your continuing posts on the blue tracker.  Sorry to hear your Lawson replica has problems.  It's also a sweet ride.  That is a nice spot to be stuck.  How did ya get it home?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 06/02/23 at 04:58:22

Spectacular place for a breakdown ! I usually do loops close to home then loops get longer. I learned the hard way , pushed a fresh build 4 miles in 100+ degree heat after the stator failed on my SR500. I was 5 houses from home when a guy pulled up with a trailer and offered a ride I said ok but I think it would be easier if you just pushed it for me I live right there. We had a laugh about it , he said he seen a little old man pushing a motorcycle and rushed home to get his trailer. There are still good people in this world !
You’ll find it quick , something loose , good times. I would rather be lucky than skilled any day of the week , so good luck !
Pushing really really really SUCKS !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #3 - 06/02/23 at 07:33:37

I have been riding it around our valley, trying to stay close to home.  I had to call a neighbor to bring his trailer and haul my sorry a$$ home.

DBM - I have started to work on the tracker, but I am also breaking in two new motors.  My baja, and the Green Monster.  We have had 5 days of thunderstorms until yesterday.  The baja is a 'vert, so both new motors require good weather to drive. Yesterday was a prime day to put a few miles in.  I get a lot of compliments on this bike everywhere I take it.  The local park is having a car show tomorrow, and I was planning on riding it to the show.  Oh well.  I finally have the tracker engine ready to mask for painting.  So some work is happening on that front.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 06/02/23 at 12:54:47

Next time you do a shakedown ride try this  , insurance , get the truck put the trailer on the truck , put the keys on the visor. The first person to answer your cries for help can easily come get you. And they will forget tiedown straps for sure ! Grin Grin Grin

That’s cheap insurance , cause you already paid it forward  , you make it home without a hitch. That’s the way it works , odds !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #5 - 06/02/23 at 13:41:26

Yeah, mistakes were made.  The only hitch key to my trailer was on MY keychain (in my possession at the time).  Live and learn.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #6 - 06/02/23 at 17:19:05

Nice picture!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 06/02/23 at 18:12:43

The SWITCH  ?  Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #8 - 06/03/23 at 09:11:10

The ignition switch is the OG, and it is definitely worn.  But, once I started into the investigation with a volt meter, I found the main fuse was bad, but not burnt.  No visual signs of failure.  I think it broke at one end internally from age.  So I ordered three replacements - one for the circuit and two for spares.  Hopefully there isn't a nefarious reason for the fuse failure.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #9 - 06/03/23 at 11:22:17

Happened to me, 4 blocks from home. intermittent failure caused by loose positive wire on battery. Dumb, but last time!
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 06/04/23 at 02:52:44

TheSneeze wrote on 06/03/23 at 09:11:10:
 But, once I started into the investigation with a volt meter, I found the main fuse was bad, but not burnt.  No visual signs of failure.  I think it broke at one end internally from age.

This happened with my neighbors sidexside.  The starter would no longer engage when they turned the key and they could not find out why.  It had an inline fuse for the ignition - the glass tube kind and it looked fine.

I traced the wiring with a voltmeter and discovered no power was making it to the starter solenoid when the key was turned.  I checked the fuse for continuity....and nothing.  We replaced the fuse and it solved the problem.

(They think I am a Wizard)! : Wink

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #11 - 10/14/23 at 16:33:30

I got my first good ride in on this bike last weekend, logging 130 miles.  What I didn't post in my earlier thread about passing, was that the right crank seal puked about five miles from home.  I didn't notice it until I got into the garage.  The only way to replace the crankshaft end seals is to split the cases.  The seals have a rib around the outer diameter that fit into a groove in the case seal bores.  A bit of overkill design by Kawasaki, in my opinion!  Not real thrilled about this.  So yeah.. the engine needs to be removed and completely torn down.  GRRRRR!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #12 - 10/14/23 at 17:38:02

That sucks !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 10/14/23 at 19:26:30

God has provided you another opportunity to highlight your skills.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 10/14/23 at 19:54:11

Indeed , it will be done before you it , you’ll fly thru it and it will be better than it was before.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 07:55:44

General CategoryThe Cafe › Stranded?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.