Tachometer (Read 84 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Tachometer
05/31/23 at 14:05:29

Good afternoon.  Can anyone recommend a good external tach for checking my idle rpm?  Also, can anyone recommend a decent tach I can permanently install that doesn’t cost a small fortune and is relatively easy to install?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Tachometer
Reply #1 - 05/31/23 at 18:06:57

Trail Tech makes small tachs, hour meters, temperature gauges, etc.

They are easy to install and work great....the only downside is they have an internal battery that cannot be replaced, and they become junk after 5 years when the battery dies.

https://www.revzilla.com/dirt-bike/trail-tech-tto-tach-hour-meter-kit?gclid=C...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - 06/01/23 at 05:28:41

Thanks Dave!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 06/02/23 at 00:18:17

If you are lookin for a more traditional tach, these Drag Specialties units are OK.  Easy to mount.  Easy to wire up.  Exact same tach as the old Ryca unit.

DS_Tach_12_002.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 06/02/23 at 00:19:41

This is a shot of the Drag Specialties unit next to a Ryca.

DS_Tach_52_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/02/23 at 03:49:38

Do they work well? I had a Baron tachometer installed on my Yamaha 950, and the needle jumps all over at higher RPMs, its basically useless.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #6 - 06/02/23 at 04:41:17

Thanks Mike!  I do like the traditional style!  Off topic and showing my ignorance, but exactly what is a ryca set-up?  I heard it said many times and I’ve tried to research it, but I’m still a little confused - is it some kind of turnkey conversion to a bobber?  Got any good pictures of one?  Curious. Thanks.

« Last Edit: 06/03/23 at 05:53:28 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 06/02/23 at 12:12:42

OCH, the Ryca tach and the Drag Specialties tach both look exactly the same, so I assume they are probably made by the same company.  They also work exactly the same.  They run great for about 20 to 25 thousand miles and then the vibrations start to work on them.  They start to get erratic at 4K rpm and above.  So, IMO they are an OK instrument.  They look good and work good until you hit the 20K to 25K mileage mark, then they get erratic over 4K rpm.  I can live with that.  They're cheap and easy to replace.

ThumperPaul, Ryca is a company that sold kits to customize the Savage.  They had a cafe kit and I believe a bobber kit, and they also sold pipes and seats and tachs and stuffs like that.  One of the items they offered was a tachometr like the one I have shown.  If you google that Drag Specialties part number and nomenclature, I am pretty sure you will come up with several sources.  You want the dual-fire unit, not the single fire.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #8 - 06/02/23 at 12:41:58

Thanks Mike!  Really appreciate the confirmation on the dual fire and not single fire.  And appreciate the info about RYCA and the accuracy of the tach after 20-25k miles.

« Last Edit: 06/03/23 at 05:54:08 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/02/23 at 12:42:22

DragBikeMike wrote on 06/02/23 at 12:12:42:
OCH, the Ryca tach and the Drag Specialties tach both look exactly the same, so I assume they are probably made by the same company.  They also work exactly the same.  They run great for about 20 to 25 thousand miles and then the vibrations start to work on them.  They start to get erratic at 4K rpm and above.  So, IMO they are an OK instrument.  They look good and work good until you hit the 20K to 25K mileage mark, then they get erratic over 4K rpm.  I can live with that.  They're cheap and easy to replace.

ThumperPaul, Ryca is a company that sold kits to customize the Savage.  They had a cafe kit and I believe a bobber kit, and they also sold pipes and seats and tachs and stuffs like that.  One of the items they offered was a tachometr like the one I have shown.  If you google that Drag Specialties part number and nomenclature, I am pretty sure you will come up with several sources.  You want the dual-fire unit, not the single fire.

Thank you Mike. I have a Baron tach, its been erratic from the start, but its a beautiful polished aluminum unit, its on my Star 950.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #10 - 06/03/23 at 13:46:30

Hey Guys.  I’m considering this one based on reviews and price and setup for dual fire.  Thoughts?  My main objective is to 1) have a tach, 2) get a decent sense for 1,100 rpm idle without using a metronome or Led Zeppelin drum solos.  

Questions: I plan to use the horn for power as one reviewer with an S40 did.  For the connections, what size are the slip connectors and wire gauge in case I need to extend the wire (hope not).  Wires on the bike to the coil look thin (like 16 gauge) and the slip connectors look to be about 1/4” but are they 6mm Japanese style?  Thanks! https://www.amazon.com/Bikers-Choice-Electronic-Custom-Tachometer/dp/B000VSCB...

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 06/10/23 at 14:37:54

I did the Biker Choice mini.  It confirmed my ears are still good at tuning to about 1100 rpm. Per specs, the bike turns 3960rpm at 60mph.  This also confirmed what my riding buddy said, your Speedo is low.  It’s true.  His Honda Sabre 1100 said we were doing 60mph. My Speedo said 55-56.  My gps said 56. Good little tach.  We’ll see how it goes over time. Install was pretty easy once I manned up to disconnect the negative coil connector.  Thanks Everybody!  Happy Trails!  PS - disregard all the camping stuff in the background.  We’ve got a little family camping trip coming in 2 weeks.  It’ll be hotter than hell in Texas but hey…that’s the way we roll around here!

IMG_2651.jpeg
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 06/10/23 at 18:36:32

That looks pretty good.  Are you gonna haul all that camping gear on the Savage?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #13 - 06/11/23 at 04:25:16

Lol!  Too funny, Mike!  If my wife keeps buying stuff, it may not fit in my truck!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 15:53:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tachometer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.