Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Mystery rich condition? (Read 203 times)
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mystery rich condition?
05/29/23 at 22:36:55

Hi guys.

So my savage is finally running really great. I am now trialling the 160 pilot jet and it seems to be working well for WOT performance.

I tried to go up from the 47.5 pilot jet but it was running very rich at idle. I have found that the bike will not always stall when the pilot screw is tightened all the way in but it does slow down the idle.
I have cleaned the carb fully a few times over the last month.

The plastic screw that connects the choke plunger to the carb is also broken so that needs to be replaced. Just having trouble finding the part in stock here in Australia.

I went back to the 47.5 pilot and it is running better at idle but I still get a black puff if I give the throttle a little flutter. I am concerned this may be too lean tho.
Maybe this is to be expected  for my old bike

Also, I just wanted to thank you guys for your help. Your knowledge is a great resource and I appreciate you all taking the time out of your days to help those with questions.

« Last Edit: 06/09/23 at 20:24:10 by Moarpower »  
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Idle rich ?
Reply #1 - 05/31/23 at 14:22:51

I read your other recent post about your bike and modifications.  You’ve got a lot going on.  I black poof could be nothing (afterburn).  If it’s running great as you said and not smoking when your riding, I’d just watch it.  If the mods were done recently, it could be just about anything.  Watch your oil level.  I don’t like any color smoke and assume oil bypass because I usually assume the worst.  How’s your gas mileage?

IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/01/23 at 01:27:40

Gas mileage is pretty good. 5lt per 100km highway.
There is no smoke when riding. And it won't smoke on its own at idle, only one puff when I just slightly touch the throttle.

I have gone back to the single hole 47.5 pilot jet for now. The 8 hole 47.5 seemed to run poorly as do the 50 and 52 8 hole jets. I can't seem to dial them in at all. I'll try a larger single hole pilot jet if I can find one.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 06/01/23 at 03:34:04

If you are running the stock carb......the pilot jets with holes in the side have no affect on the fuel mixture.  Those pilot jets are made for carbs that have an air supply to the side of the pilot jets, and the stock carb has no air supply to the area along the sides of the pilot jet.  The fuel mixture will not vary if you use the single hole jets - or the ones with holes on the sides...they will provide exactly the same restriction as long as the single end hole is the same. The air that mixes with the fuel from the Pilot jet is provided up in the carb body above the float bowl.  Next time you have your carb off remove the pilot jet and look closely down into the recessed hole the pilot jet screws into....and you will not see any passage to permit air to flow to the pilot jet.  

NOTE:  The stock carbs on my little Ninja 250 had holes in the sides of the pilot jet, and a small amount of air was provided to create an emulsion in the body of the pilot jet.  When you closed the throttle during and created a high vacuum situation - the Ninja had an air supply valve that would close and stop the air flow to the sides of the jet to resolve the Lean condition that occurs when you close the throttle at higher rpm....on the Savage the TEV does this - and the system on the little Ninja worked much better.  So...on some carbs those little metering holes in the side of the pilot jet do work - but not on the Savage.

It is my belief that a pilot jet has very little affect on how a bike runs - the affect is mostly on how it idles and how the engine responds when you roll the throttle slowly on.....if you crack the throttle open quickly the needle and main jet are now controlling the mixture.by way of the vacuum operated slide.  If you get the smoothest idle with the idle fuel mixture screw 1.5 -2.5 turns out - the pilot jet is sized correctly.  If you can turn the screw all the way in without experiencing a drop in idle smoothness, the jet is too big.  If you have to turn the screw out more than 3 turns and don't experience a "rich" idle...the jet is too small.  All idle fuel adjustments should be made withe the engine fully hot and the idle speed dropped temporarily to around 800 rpm......adjusting the mixture at a higher rpm is not effective as the slide will be opening and you will not get a noticeable change when moving the mixture screw.  Once you have experience with this adjustment you should be able to make it in less than a minute or two.....then turn the idle speed back up.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/01/23 at 05:26:34

Thanks Dave.
Running the stock carb. Throttle from 1/4 onwards is fine with the newer style jets. It just idles poorly on the 47.5 up to the 55 and doesn't like slow take offs.
With the single hole 47.5 it idles much better and handles the slow take off without an issue. Not sure what's happening with these jets but they seem to be running very rich. The stock 47.5 runs fine but may be a little on the lean side.

IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/05/23 at 22:52:59

Man this old bike. I love it but I'm almost ready to give up and just stick with my honda.

No matter what size pilot jet and pilot air screw settings I use, I get this really poor idle and low throttle sputtering. As you can see by the video I'll link below, it's when I'm only just touching the throttle, which is bad because that's where I am when I am filtering through traffic or driving through a parking lot and it sputters poorly. The video is with a 52m5 pilot, one turn out.

I've tried jets from 47.5 up to 55. . It's definitely leading to a rich idle, whatever the issue is.

I'm wondering if it could be a low rpm spark issue?  I think it could be as it used to just miss every minute ot 2 and have a tiny sputter at idle, but it's progressing now.

It's all good wiring and original electrical.

IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/05/23 at 22:53:51

https://youtube.com/shorts/J93Q-b9qvG4?feature=share

As soon as I move the throttle a little more it runs fine

IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/06/23 at 00:16:55

Went to start it today and it won't even start now. I went back to the spark plug which was replaced a week ago and it was black again.
Replaced the plug, which still didn't want to start, and even gave a couple of pops back through the carb. Spark is blue and pretty bright
Maybe the damaged choke is the culprit.  The plastic thread is broken and has been like that since I bought it.
I'm thinking about replacing the carb entirely. Might even try a cheap eBay knockoff just for fun

It is currently using the 160 main jet, back to the 147.5 pilot, a needle with washers to match the plastic spacer size as its broken.

Really just want a bike that will run for more than a month at a time at this point.

IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/06/23 at 06:08:37

Update.
I bought a cheap Keihin pwk 38 and assorted jets. When they all arrive I'll see how they go..this one ships with 170/55 jets. And a 48-DDJ needle.
The carb was only 17aud shipped, less than the jets and less than half the cost of a new plunger assembly.

I also bought a new ignition coil and spark plug lead assembly. The old lead is wrapped in electrical tape so it's probably due for a replacement

IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/06/23 at 16:02:38

The EEN needle is almost impossible to find. Wonder if the EEM would be ok.

IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/09/23 at 01:22:51

I managed to get my factory carb running really well today.
I removed the needle again and the stock spacer had almost dissolved. It was really soft and squishy. So it ran incredibly rich for most of the ride time and fouled another plug. I installed a new plug and 4 washers on the needle and no spacer. Had loads of power but was a bit lean. Went to 3 washers on the needle and its now running nice.

The only issue remaining is there is quite a bit of free play in the throttle before it lifts the butterfly, and when I'm riding, if I just barely activate the throttle to where it just starts to operate the butterfly, it seems to have a bit of a flat spot or a stutter.

Its only present at the slight touch of the throttle. Maybe it just needs the cable adjusted. I also installed a new ignition coil today. The one on the bike was the factory unit from 1986

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 06/09/23 at 04:17:01

Moarpower wrote on 06/09/23 at 01:22:51:
if I just barely activate the throttle to where it just starts to operate the butterfly, it seems to have a bit of a flat spot or a stutter.

Its only present at the slight touch of the throttle. Maybe it just needs the cable adjusted. I also installed a new ignition coil today. The one on the bike was the factory unit from 1986

That is an indication that the mixture is lean under light throttle just as the slide begins to lift.  Remove 1 washer and try 2.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/09/23 at 04:30:21

Thanks Dave. I'll try that tomorrow. Interestingly I didn't notice it with the 4 washers but I only did a quick ride with the 4.
It really is only the very first touch of the throttle.

Compress_20230609_221724_4444.jpg
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/09/23 at 18:38:17

Dave wrote on 06/09/23 at 04:17:01:
That is an indication that the mixture is lean under light throttle just as the slide begins to lift.  Remove 1 washer and try 2.

Removed one washer and the issue is still present. Also seems to be running a little rich with only 2 washers.

Maybe the 155 main jet is too big. It my needle and needle jet setup or wrong.

IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/09/23 at 18:43:18

Here is a picture of the broken choke.

Compress_20230610_114252_2298.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 00:19:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mystery rich condition?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.