Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Yellowstone is edging towards old supervolcano (Read 66 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Yellowstone is edging towards old supervolcano
05/24/23 at 02:34:49

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmr1S0jFkgc&ab_channel=FutureSpace

You got people issuing warnings again .......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Yellowstone is edging towards old supervolcano
Reply #1 - 05/24/23 at 06:42:59

I'll tell Yogi and BooBoo  Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/24/23 at 10:00:03

NdT tends to be the mouthpiece of doom... so I won't hold my breath.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/24/23 at 10:01:36

You got people issuing warnings again ......

Where are we supposed to go?  Last time I looked at anything about it, I'm pretty sure they said Texas could get several inches of ash, which would wreck farming and ranching and pretty much everything. Even IF the eruption itself didn't get us, the aftermath would.
Are the new warnings less scary?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 05/25/23 at 05:51:10

I am somewhat skeptical that scientists will be able to make an accurate prediction of exactly when an eruption will occur.

I understand that the area is very active and has potential for an eruption - but there is just far too many variables for an accurate prediction.  How well have they been able to predict the eruptions of other volcanos around the world....I believe that most recent volcano eruptions were not predicted - or at least there was only a few hours or days of warning at most. I don't believe that Mount Saint Helens was predicted very far in advance.

I am just not sure how much to trust folks who make these video programs.....some of it could just be them making work for themselves by finding new topics/emergencies to discuss.  And the scientists who study this stuff are definitely not going to downplay their work and put themselves out of a job.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 05/25/23 at 06:37:10

Yep, the cadence continues; “Emergency Emergency Emergency”.

As Covid fades the next Emergency is …….

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 05/25/23 at 08:31:54

Covid fades the next Emergency is .....

Hmm,,  just reading what you said,,, a fella Could come away thinking You kinda believe Someone is flashing the lights and running the sirens Simply to keep the sheeple focused on something and getting them stampeded in one direction.
The jab hesitant crowd sure messed that up for them. Whatever it is that they start trumpeting next, be assured, I will not participate.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 05/26/23 at 11:32:11

Yellowstone isn't simple.

The swollen caldera's swell is also being affected by continental drift over the hot spot so you got to balance the drift "net rock thickness" and the swell numbers to decide if there is a significant magma bubble rapidly swelling up under Yellowstone or not.

If something shifts rapidly, there are modern alerts in place which include monitored laser reflectors which measure swell relative to mountains that are outside the caldera.

Plain GPS from orbit can accurately see movements measured in 10s of yards.  Lasers from satellites bouncing off reflectors can see down to the single yards precision levels.   Dedicated "sideways" lasers from fixed positions (mountain tops outside the caldera zone) can see to the vertical foot (measuring relative to "fixed" locations that are also subject to the same continental drift effects, etc.)

They also are using the sonic version of an ultrasound, kinda like they do on pregnant women but in this case for rocks and magma chambers.  They have mappings of the relatively long tapering off in the direction of drift travel Yellowstone magma chamber.  The "density of the magma" can be judged for how liquid it is this week vs last week and this too is being tracked over time .......

Yes, the main Yellowstone magma chamber is slowly growing and the shrunken floor of the Yellowstone Caldera is slowly getting taller and taller.

The rate of mini-quakes are slowly going up.  Steamboat and Old Faithful say that things underground are happening somewhat quicker over time.

One issue is that the best of these new metrics is that they are technically brand new and do not have whole decades of tracking data to support any sort of summary judgements.   A century of geyser data says there are cyclical things involved here with a known up-down pattern.

I would guess that we in our generation are pretty safe, but our great great great grandkids may actually see some molten hot stuff eventually happening ........

The guys in Italy have much more pressing issues with their not so dormant normal volcanoes relative to Yellowstone's much more massive but much slower moving problems.

Huh

General population numbers in Colorado are decreasing ..... folks are choosing not to live close to the Yellowstone action zone.

« Last Edit: 05/28/23 at 23:06:13 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 05/26/23 at 12:57:40

I wouldn't Know what to do if it went Blooey. If they told us She's Gonna Blow,,Run,you'll all be crushed.. Meh,, what would we do? The map says we would see
Raining ash.. Which is better than glowing hot rocks,, and liquid rocks, but three or four inches of ash would be a Real problem.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 13:56:47

General CategoryThe Cafe › Yellowstone is edging towards old supervolcano

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.