Send Topic Print
S40 deceleration noise (Read 126 times)
Wr112
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

S40 deceleration noise
05/23/23 at 03:06:38

I have a 2009 Boulevard and S40 that I’ve owned since purchasing new and starting just this spring there is now a concerning noise on deceleration.  It’s most noticeable in second and third gear when you let off the throttle, there is a loud, humming/whining noise. The noise immediately goes away if you get back on the throttle or pull in the clutch and coast so it doesn’t appear to be anything related with bearings or brakes. They’re also doesn’t appear to be any effect on function at least for the moment; the bike performs as expected and there’s no grinding or clunking noises it’s just a weird abnormal whining humming that is loud enough that it can be heard from a person on another bike riding with me. This is the first time in all of the years of owning it that I’ve run into an issue. The only other thing we’ve ever done to it is install the modified cam chain tensioner preemptively last year at 15,000 miles. I took a short video clip of the bike making the noise while decelerating but I’m not sure if it’s possible to post that in here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: S40 deceleration noise
Reply #1 - 05/23/23 at 03:34:37

Try this.  Works like a champ.  Contact Armen or Fast650 for the spacer.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1561964431

Good luck

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #2 - 05/24/23 at 18:59:39

If it sounds like a whining noise coming from the lower end, my bike makes the same noise.  

My bike has done it since I've owned it and I've probably put 25-30k miles on it since I bought it.  I'm not concerned.  I believe Dave mentioned his bike makes the same noise.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 05/25/23 at 04:33:16

A side note, are you using Rotella T4 or 6 ?
If not, it would be good to use for overall engine life.  My reason for including this here is that when I began using oil with ZDDP in it I noticed a reduction in engine noise and when changing gears the clunking ceased over a very short period of time and became smooth.  I had the bike for years at this point, it was not a normal break-in for a new bike.  I had ordered a 6 pack of ZDDP to mix with an oil of choice.  I mixed a slightly heavy ratio for my bike and by 2-3 tanks shifting became smoother as well.
Just a thought, it might be a little helpful.

IP Logged
Wr112
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/25/23 at 05:16:17

Thanks for the recommendations. I was a little surprised and thankful at what ended up being solution.  When I was reading one of the threads regarding the rear hub issue I saw a couple people talking about the drive belt rubbing on the pulley walls causing strange noises.  I was initially dismissive of that being my issue because when I pulled in the clutch the noise would go away and it seemed to me the noise would still be present with the clutch in and coasting if it was a bearing or belt problem but figured it was quick and cheap to apply a little grease to the sides of the belt for a quick test.  Just a little bit of grease on the edges of the drive belt and noise is gone….still don’t understand why I wasn’t getting the noise while coasting and only heard it while decelerating with the clutch out but I’m happy it was easily located.  Moving forward I will need to see what is recommended to apply to the belt, this is the only belt drive machine I have owned and it just now has started causing the noise so to date I have never put anything on the belt before.  Thanks for the quick replies.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/25/23 at 08:38:10

I've used ivory soap to stop belt squeak, but it makes a mess, There are dry lube sprays out there. I doubt grease on the belt is a great idea.
Stabilizing the pulley, once you have determined that is the problem, sounds like The solution.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 05/26/23 at 10:18:53

DBM has got the best repair for the pulley/sprocket hub. Relatively cheap with great results , a must do.
Do it and then forget about it.

two cent

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #7 - 05/27/23 at 18:56:50

The pulley wobble fix that DGM came up with is a no brainer
Give a medal to that man
The belt will not track right if the pulley is wobbling from load to no load positions all the time.  Before I did this I used a little beeswax on the sides of the belt to stop the chirping noise  but the duplex bearing on the rear fixed everything

Hiko   IP Logged
Wr112
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/28/23 at 01:10:24

I still struggle a bit navigating the site to find specific things.  Does someone on here sell the better bearing and modified wheel spacers?  If so, how do I get to that page to be able to order those parts.  Thanks

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #9 - 05/28/23 at 07:30:44

The bearing you can source thru eBay or Amazon. I believe Armen  sells the spacer. Try looking in the Marketplace.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #10 - 05/28/23 at 07:32:30

Do 5 more posts then send a pm to Armen.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 05/28/23 at 10:15:59

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 05/28/23 at 10:16:27

Like that

IP Logged
Wr112
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/28/23 at 10:51:53

Alright…..thanks.   I wasn’t sure if I was going to need to just start making up issues to post about to raise my post count.  Lol

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 05/28/23 at 19:31:43

Naah, no need to get everyone trying to solve bogus problems.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 04:51:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › S40 deceleration noise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.