Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to achieve quicker start up? (Read 46 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
How to achieve quicker start up?
05/14/23 at 14:17:35

I have a 2006 running well.  Keihin PWK40 carb, Jardine exhaust, side air box cover removed.  Valve lash in specs and decomp at 4mm.  It takes a 1-2 Mississippi to start.  My old 2004 would fire up at 1 Mississippi.  How can I improve starting/fire up?  Do I adjust the decomp solenoid?  Which way?  Looking for some clues or help.  Oh, battery is only 3 months old and rock solid with more CCA than stock battery.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: How to achieve quicker start up?
Reply #1 - 05/14/23 at 14:49:50

Your 1 Mississippi 2 Mississippi  routine seems normal to me.  You hit the starter button.  Decomp relay lights off the decomp solenoid.  A few seconds later the decomp relay lights off the starter.  The starter gets the thing rotating.  Decomp timer denergizes the decomp solenoid.  Next compression stroke it lites off.  That's kinda a 1Mississippi 2 Mississippi routine.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/14/23 at 17:05:24

Decomp timing is 400 msec before the starter kicks in.  I'm not certain how much overlap there is though.  It takes a lotta power so they don't want it running very long.

For a well running savage that starts up w/out any problems...
you can fine tune the decomp adjustment as it will start w/out the decomp, but you need it if it stalls while running (such as when it runs outta gas and you took too long to switch it to prime).

simply loosen the adjustment a bit and it will start faster.  I would take baby steps and try the starter each time till your happy.
you musta hit the magic setting with your old one.
but if it stalls on start up, just tighten it up a bit.

I've used this type of solenoid in my designs before and they need enough freeplay to work.  Too tight and they don't work at all.

So looser is better, but if it's too loose it won't open the valves like it's supposed to.

WWW   IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #3 - 05/14/23 at 17:53:26

Thanks guys!  Based on y’all’s responses, I think I’ll leave it alone and just monitor. BRight after I sent the question, the bike fired right up on 1+ Mississippi.  Appreciate the responses.

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #4 - 05/15/23 at 17:56:13

Ive made a lot of changes on my bike, and the only influence I have seen on the fire up time was a more powerful battery.

I know you said you have one thats bigger and better but.. from my experience thats the only thing Ive seen that caused a lag or lugging start.

Is it bigger and better and a discount battery?

Ive been using a YTX9-BS lifepo battery lately and it cranks the bike quicker than any ive had before.  About $90 bucks or so.

https://www.mightymaxbattery.com/shop/lifepo4/ytx9-bs-lithium-battery-replace...

WWW   IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 05/16/23 at 04:34:06

Thanks Sammy.  I had this same brand battery in my other bike that started really quickly.  It’s not a top of the line battery, but it’s not at the bottom either.  I can’t remember the name/model at the moment.  Right after I posted this question, the bike fired up quickly.  I think I’m fine.  It seems more related to what the guys said above.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/07/24 at 16:35:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How to achieve quicker start up?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.