Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Timing Chain and Tensioner (Read 33 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Timing Chain and Tensioner
05/06/23 at 14:01:49

Happy Saturday!  Hoping some of you fellow Savage gurus can help me.  I have a 2006 with probably about 16,000 miles. I say probably because the last title transfer with mileage listed showed 13,xxx and I bought the bike some years later with a broken odometer/speedometer (now fixed).  I have a Repair Manual but not an owners manual.  I’ve read several of the threads about the timing chain and tensioner, but I have some questions….

Issue: I think I’m hearing some noise like tapping whirling tapping on the lower right lower engine side (not terrible, but I’ve noticed a change).  Performance is still very good. It’s not my valve lash adjustment.  I’ve got a little tic on the intake side but quite on the exhaust side.  I’m within specs (closer to minimum on both).  I can deal with that.  I’m concerned about the extra new noise I think I’m hearing.  It seems to be more obvious when the bike has been out for 45-60 minutes and the temps in Houston are rising.  I hear it more when doing some normal 50-55mph for a decent amount of time.  The noise is less much less apparent upon start up and when the bike is cooler and hasn’t been on the road too long.

So questions….  And please bare with me…

1) what is the life expectancy of the timing chain?
2) life expectancy of the tensioner?
3) does the issue I describe sound like I’m about time to dig in and look?

My engine repair skills and attention span to follow instructions are limited and/or somewhat diminished with age. Appreciate any comments. Thanks.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Timing Chain and Tensioner
Reply #1 - 05/06/23 at 14:46:58

ThumperPaul wrote on 05/06/23 at 14:01:49:
I have a 2006 with probably about 16,000 miles.

Issue: I think I’m hearing some noise like tapping whirling tapping on the lower right lower engine side (not terrible, but I’ve noticed a change).  It’s not my valve lash adjustment.  I’ve got a little tic on the intake side but quiet on the exhaust side.  I’m concerned about the extra new noise I think I’m hearing.  It seems to be more obvious when the bike has been out for 45-60 minutes and the temps in Houston are rising.  I hear it more when doing some normal 50-55mph for a decent amount of time.  The noise is less much less apparent upon start up and when the bike is cooler and hasn’t been on the road too long.

I think what you're hearing is a slight mismatch in left and right valve adjustment.
too tight, it's quiet and too loose it's noisy and this will change with temperature.
Quote:
So questions….  And please bare with me…

1) what is the life expectancy of the timing chain?

this will depend on ride duration as heat cycles will cause the tensioner to click over to next adjustment which causes a higher tension when hot causing more stretching. So short rides = short chain life. And vice versa.
I rode 30 miles between cycles for years and got about 25k miles before needing to modify the adjuster or about 50k between chains.
Quote:
2) life expectancy of the tensioner?

if you catch the chain before the plunger extends beyond 18mm, damage will not occur and it will last several chains and you'll replace if wear will occur in other places then the plunger/housing interface.
Quote:
3) does the issue I describe sound like I’m about time to dig in and look?

If you're hearing tapping on the case, it's time to stop and open her up, and inspect.
tapping will occur near the top of the case just behind the oil filter cover... you can feel it with your hand.

WWW   IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - 05/06/23 at 16:27:03

Thank you Verslagen!  I guess it time.  Are you still doing Upgraded tensioners?  I obviously have to open her up to check the 18mm. I’m kinda suspecting it’s due.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/06/23 at 18:19:56

yes I am. just check out my page

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/07/23 at 14:05:45

You can extend the life of that chain and not replace it soon.
I don't remember who, but one of these guys figured out a way to run it without the pawl that locks the tensioner arm,until thermal expansion has tortured the chain by cooling down and allowing the pawl to catch another tooth.
If you rode it, every time you rode it just To the point where the heat is done making the cylinder get taller and let it cool off,that would get the chain killed in the least amount of time.

Okay, fixed it.. Spell Check changed
Pawl
To something else, twice,differently both times.

« Last Edit: 05/07/23 at 15:32:44 by justin_o_guy2 »  

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 20:46:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Timing Chain and Tensioner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.