Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New to me 1996 LS650 and some questions (Read 162 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: New to me 1996 LS650 and some questions
Reply #15 - 06/13/23 at 07:32:20

Regarding the strong smell of gas in the air box, fuel is backing up into the air box.  I would check the needle valve - item #20 in the diagram here..  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1098869040

This was the culprit when I had the same problem.  It started off randomly and became worse.  The needle was worn out and not seating fully closed allowing fuel to continue to seep into the carb.  While you're in there, inspect the float and check the float level too.  Check/clean that little filter too...

Or buy a rebuild kit and replace the parts...  A new needle valve and filter in there will be a good thing.  I think this is the kit I bought.  I only replaced a few things and saved the rest for a rainy day.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225332589824?fits=Model%3ASavage+650%7CMake%3ASuzuki...

IP Logged
porky133
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 08/11/23 at 13:51:15

Hello all, it's been a busy summer and I've been working on other projects until now. Today I got the clutch cable installed, but the Haynes manual is misleading on some things. You pretty much have to remove the petcock to get the tank off. And the manual points to the lower clutch cable adjustment point as the end of the cable. I used the two nuts to adjust the cable.

Since the tank was off I changed the petcock to the raptor one and discovered that the outlet on the Raptor is smaller than the inlet on the carberator. I hope the clamps I installed keep it from leaking.

Last thing I got done was to raise the front of the seat about an inch. Tomorrow I'll add fuel and take a test ride. Hopefully I got the clutch right and it doesn't leak!

IP Logged
porky133
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 08/21/23 at 17:14:58

The clutch worked fine, but the petcock itself leaked. Opened it up and it's missing the inner O-ring. Ordered a differtent one, installed and everything is good now. I also had to soak up fuel from the bottom of the airbox, I'll start closing the petcock when not riding and see if that helps.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 05:34:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New to me 1996 LS650 and some questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.