Send Topic Print
Carb Question (Read 110 times)
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Carb Question
04/29/23 at 08:49:25

I have finally gotten around to working on the RYCA bike I picked up in the fall. To refresh memory, It did not run, was told that it had run previously. It really wasn't safely ridable due to some build issues so not sure how much actual road time was on it.

Anyway, some nasty stuff came out of gas tank, sort of greenish looking with a funny smell. Initial trouble shooting included flushing tank and new gas, it did not start. Obviously I confirmed fuel flow out of petcock and through hose to carb. It does have a Raptor on it so gas is gravity fed. That said after another attempt to start it failed, I opened bowl drain and nothing came out hence no fuel in bowl.

At that point I hit it up with some ether start and it did fire over, so spark and everything else appears ok. Back to carb, which I finally removed last week to investigate further. There was some junk in it, but nothing too bad. There is some what appears corrosion on one of the floats, but it is basically clean.

Ok so here I must admit I have little experience in working on carbs. But that said when I removed the bowl what I found was a sort of clip/spring on the floats which appear to hold them up in what is very close to what would be the closed position, see photo. A quick look in the service and parts manuals don't show this clip thing as a part on the carb so I am not sure what it is, but my thought was it might be a clip to hold/keep floats in place when carbs are shipped. Or it could just be a spring to limit the movement of the floats in operation. Curious if it should be there, and if this is what is holding the needle closed.

IMG_0404.jpg
  IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Re: Carb Question
Reply #1 - 04/29/23 at 08:52:14

Another thing about it, it appears it is a new carb on the bike.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/29/23 at 10:48:34

SoC wrote on 04/29/23 at 08:49:25:
Ok so here I must admit I have little experience in working on carbs. But that said when I removed the bowl what I found was a sort of clip/spring on the floats which appear to hold them up in what is very close to what would be the closed position, see photo. A quick look in the service and parts manuals don't show this clip thing as a part on the carb so I am not sure what it is, but my thought was it might be a clip to hold/keep floats in place when carbs are shipped. Or it could just be a spring to limit the movement of the floats in operation. Curious if it should be there, and if this is what is holding the needle closed.

clip should be there, it attaches the float valve to the floats.
if it holds it up, then the float valve is stuck
remove, clean or replace also remove valve seat, there's a little screen above it, clean/replace.

WWW   IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #3 - 04/29/23 at 11:45:32

Versy, Thanks for the insight. I did not realize valve is attached to the float.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 04/30/23 at 03:46:48

Carb needs a thorough cleaning.  The hole in the pilot jet is tiny, and no doubt clogged with junk.  If the float doesn't move - the green crap has glued it into place.

The jets and idle mixture screw are soft brass and easily damaged.  I would get the carb soaking before I try to remove any of the soft parts.  Take the slide out, remove the enrichment lever (choke), and soak the carb in Pinesol mixed with an equal part of hot water.  Let is soak for a day and then rinse with hot water...and blow dry.

One trick I have found for removing the pilot jet easily is to take a flat head punch that will just fit into the hole and rest on top of the pilot jet - then give it 2 or 3 hard taps with a hammer.  This loosens things up a bit and allows you to get the jet to turn without damaging the flat screwdriver slot.....make sure your screwdriver is proper sized and fits the jet well.

Once you have all the parts out give it another soaking and rinsing.  The pilot jet can often require you to poke a guitar string through the hole to get it open again.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 04/30/23 at 04:28:00

Don’t forget to insure the tiny passageways in the carb body that need to be clear for normal carb function.  Use Compressed air, aerosol, carb tool or guitar string as Dave stated.

IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #6 - 05/05/23 at 11:44:02

So, float was seriously stuck and thinking to rebuild the entire carb. Looking online I see rebuild kits listed by a bunch of different sources at various prices anywhere from $15 to 43 dollars. Anyone have a recommendation of which to use?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 05/06/23 at 03:35:42

It is very likely you don't need anything new.....just get the old parts cleaned up.

I might buy a kit like this one and use the float bowl gasket, needle and seat, TEV diaphragm, O rings and fuel screw.  I would not use the jets or the slide needle as they may not be a proper size....and I would not replace the slide diaphragm unless yours is damaged.
lkAAOSwgDFj7JPb&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwHZUoXY%2FeBy0%2FYCJgeEnB2OckFSM4Y9GI57epejV0CSCac3TzL5fWRoPLVuwhwlyT8C4XdMs70hKpletDxoBvRm5aMSdRzsSDMlDHOan%2F24bQCRUX4pUIQBc0%2F86NWsgRkPaE8D2tVl4shf4qV6J3YR1NTfBA7bsZ%2B42grU1DTNE9wsrGSeOT1xoSLaTjNIW9kP3MEjdR2N7LAMdXnYF3ZT7kFKisGj%2BddsnUkk%2BHaP1sKQUlfm8VnYNsAo7TbbpoA%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR6jz0Yn-YQ" target="_blank">https://www.ebay.com/itm/364148148842?hash=item54c8ebca6a:gTonguelkAAOSwgDFj7JPb&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwHZUoXY%2FeBy0%2FYCJgeEnB2OckFSM4Y9GI57epejV0CSCac3TzL5fWRoPLVuwhwlyT8C4XdMs70hKpletDxoBvRm5aMSdRzsSDMlDHOan%2F24bQCRUX4pUIQBc0%2F86NWsgRkPaE8D2tVl4shf4qV6J3YR1NTfBA7bsZ%2B42grU1DTNE9wsrGSeOT1xoSLaTjNIW9kP3MEjdR2N7LAMdXnYF3ZT7kFKisGj%2BddsnUkk%2BHaP1sKQUlfm8VnYNsAo7TbbpoA%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR6jz0Yn-YQ

If you are working on the carb I would change to a #50 pilot, a #150 main and 3 machine screw washers on the slide to replace the white plastic spacer.

Be very careful if when you remove the pilot jet and fuel mixture screw - they are soft brass and the screwdriver slots are easily damaged.  If you can't get either of them out....STOP and get help.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #8 - 05/06/23 at 05:04:26

I like your comments, Dave.  “Green crap” is the kind of technical language I like!  Wink  I’ve never thought of using Pinesol and hot water to soak/clean.  How did you get that idea?  Is there an active ingredient in Pinesol that makes it work?  With so many carb cleaning products out there (some rather expensive), I’m curious about Pinesol.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 05/06/23 at 11:43:26

That's an interesting kit Dave.  I think I might buy one of those and go through all the parts.  See how they stack up to the OEM items.  Super cheap.  The idle mix screw looks correct, as does the needle & seat.  The slide needle looks total bogus, as does the pilot jet.

Thanks for the link.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 05/08/23 at 04:44:31

ThumperPaul wrote on 05/06/23 at 05:04:26:
 I’ve never thought of using Pinesol and hot water to soak/clean.  How did you get that idea?  Is there an active ingredient in Pinesol that makes it work?  With so many carb cleaning products out there (some rather expensive), I’m curious about Pinesol.

Some senior motorcycle friends of mine recently told me about it....I have no idea why it works - but it works really well.

IMG_1244.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 05/08/23 at 04:46:19

It removes the gunk really well and doesn't etch the aluminum like caustic cleaners (Purple Power, Simple Green) and others that warn you about using them on aluminum.

IMG_1266.JPG

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #12 - 05/08/23 at 05:31:14

Good to know!  Thanks!

IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #13 - 06/12/23 at 21:32:38

So, just an update with more questions. First, the Pinesol thing, if you leave steel parts in it too long it can eat away at them. It worked well but don't let stuff sit in it for a couple weeks.

Ok, so that said, debated extensively about a carb rebuild kit, they were anywhere from like $19.00 to $50.00 online. With little knowledge went to Fleabay and order what looked to be a nice kit at upper "middle of road" price point. Fully stating it was the proper kit. Today when working with it found this, see photo, pilot screw in kit looks nothing like original. Is this possibly right or maybe some upgrade? I assume it is not right for the carb I have, which was a replacement. Anyway does anyone have experience with this pilot screw? Can clean up what I have, or order and OEM replacement, but just want to make sure I am not missing something here.

Apparently there was some carb up grade at one point in production and not being sure of what I have as to application across years. Previous owner could apparently never keep it running.

Any feed back welcome at this point as carburetors are a weak point in my knowledge base. I can see the obvious differences between the 2 parts.

In picture one on left was removed from carb, one on right was new one in rebuild kit.

IMG_0815.jpg
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 06/12/23 at 23:39:05

SoC, this old post will give you the info you are looking for.  I would stick with Genuine Suzuki parts.  Your current mixture screw looks OK to me; just needs a light cleaning.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1641171298

Good luck

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 00:18:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!