Carb slider wear (Read 120 times)
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Re: Carb slider wear
Reply #15 - 04/30/23 at 09:42:03

I'll say, there are no issues with the carb boot fitting because, well there isn't one. I've been running this cheap pod air filter, which I'll admit doesn't filter very well. There is no doubt it let in a lot of fine dirty and abrasives. Admittedly, I was younger and not as wise then. I plan on replacing this with an oiled foam filter coupled to the original rubber boot to filter better and provide the correct directional air flow.

20230430_104812.jpg

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #16 - 04/30/23 at 09:45:43

And just for fun, here's a picture of the bike.
Fyi, The pod air filter has been on the bike for the last 5-10k miles of it's 35+k life. I've had a dozen other bikes during this time, and rebuilt the carbs on all. The only one with carbs even as close to this bad is my 79 goldwing after several cross country trips and a lot of daily driving. I've replaced the slides with used ones and finely sanded the sharp edges inside the carb body and added an oiled uni filter. It's been good since.
I have 4 other bikes currently, so the savage barely gets ridden anymore. Maybe 500 miles a year. I'd like to keep it in good running order, but I'm hesitant to drop $3-500 on a used carb.
Any suggestions for a cost effective alternative carb that would be an upgrade? Something that's not a pain to tune either.

20230430_120516.jpg

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #17 - 04/30/23 at 15:41:34

Groupus, check this old post on the knock-off PWK.  I've been running one for almost two years now and it works pretty darned good.  Not too difficult to tune either.  The knock-offs are a crap shoot, but the cost is so low they are worth the risk.  Seems as though you can get them in two different configurations, but I believe both will work just fine.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1625732492

I agree with Ohiomoto, a new slide will probably work OK in your carb.
But I also agree with Dave, it's not worth spending big bucks on your stock carb.  If you are hell bent on using a stocker, I would risk the $80 bucks on the ebay slide.  If it doesn't work, write it off to experience.  Your stock carb isn't worth investing $200 bucks in for an OEM slide.  You can see from your pics that your stocker has seen the acid dip one too many times.  BTW, that main jet is a 152.5.  That thing has really been abraded.

If you are game for spending big cash, and you want top-notch stuff that's pretty much plug-n-play, get in touch with Lancer for one of his VM kits.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #18 - 04/30/23 at 19:15:37

Love that wood carving , yard art. Very Cool Totem. One near Yosemite a wooden Statue of Liberty.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #19 - 05/01/23 at 07:59:33

DragBikeMike wrote on 04/30/23 at 15:41:34:
Groupus, check this old post on the knock-off PWK.  I've been running one for almost two years now and it works pretty darned good.  Not too difficult to tune either.  The knock-offs are a crap shoot, but the cost is so low they are worth the risk.  Seems as though you can get them in two different configurations, but I believe both will work just fine.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1625732492

I agree with Ohiomoto, a new slide will probably work OK in your carb.
But I also agree with Dave, it's not worth spending big bucks on your stock carb.  If you are hell bent on using a stocker, I would risk the $80 bucks on the ebay slide.  If it doesn't work, write it off to experience.  Your stock carb isn't worth investing $200 bucks in for an OEM slide.  You can see from your pics that your stocker has seen the acid dip one too many times.  BTW, that main jet is a 152.5.  That thing has really been abraded.

If you are game for spending big cash, and you want top-notch stuff that's pretty much plug-n-play, get in touch with Lancer for one of his VM kits.

Mike, that is exactly what I'm looking for! Half the price of even just the cheap slide, easy enough to set up with the recommended jet sizes, and straightforward tuning after that. I read through that entire post and there's no serious modifications to make. I'm definitely not looking for top notch gear, I just want the thing to run when I do get it out. I'll be ordering this soon and let you know how it goes.
Fyi, the main jet in my picture is all scuffed up because I hit it with a wire wheel to clean some of the tarnish off for the pic. Tried to make it easier to see, but I made it worse  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 05/01/23 at 18:20:47

Partzilla has the slides for $188, and that might work fine for several years at 500 miles a year.

But Dave pointed out the wear on the carb and I can see his point.  If you have to invest in much more you could be closer to a new carb or just go with the DBM PWK knock-off option.  

So, I now respectfully disagree and agree with Dave (and DBM).  lol

EDIT:  The slide was around $120 when replaced mine.  I haven't had it apart in years (I ride 3-4k yr), and I'm interested in seeing how it looks now.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 01:24:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb slider wear

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.