Minn
John Perry Barlow
04/23/23 at 15:26:45

Doing some research on a Cartoonist named Pevey Barlow,
I came across this:

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Electronic-Frontier-Foundation
https://www.britannica.com/biography/John-Perry-Barlow

Here are some phrases that stand out:

“… The formation of the EFF was prompted primarily by the reaction of Barlow and Kapor to efforts by the U.S. Secret Service and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to crack down on hackers in early 1990 …”

“…In 1991, the EFF moved its offices from Cambridge, Massachusetts, to Washington, D.C., in order to engage more directly in attempts to influence governmental policy and legislation regarding computers and the Internet. The somewhat controversial move was seen by some of the EFF’s online supporters as selling out to political interests in the government …”

“… The EFF’s experiment in Washington-insider politics highlighted some of the tensions within the organization. Some of those tensions stemmed from the strong personalities of many members of both the board of directors and the staff. The organization also had to clarify the relationship between its mission and its funding structure. Most of the EFF’s ideological support came from a wide-ranging and strongly libertarian online grassroots community, whereas much of its funding during its Washington sojourn came from corporate sources …”

“… the EFF successfully lobbied in 1992–93 to stop FBI digital telephony proposals that would have greatly increased the scope of the FBI’s powers to perform wiretaps on digital communications. …”

“… In general, it has sought to extend free speech and privacy rights to online communications, including such forms of “speech” as encryption and other computer programs. It was particularly active in opposing the Communications Decency Act (CDA) of 1996 …”

Wonder what they would do, (or would have stood),  on the position of, ‘Free Speech’, when some internet media providers, Banned free speech.

Oh Eegore, just so  you know,
I was not aware of John Perry Barlow or what he did.
Perhaps you could bring us more Enlightenment.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: John Perry Barlow
Reply #1 - 04/23/23 at 16:45:41

Oh Eegore, just so  you know,
I was not aware of John Perry Barlow or what he did.
Perhaps you could bring us more Enlightenment.

I wouldn't want to scold anyone by offering more information.

Wonder what they would do, (or would have stood),  on the position of, ‘Free Speech’, when some internet media providers, Banned free speech.

What internet media providers Banned free speech in the US?

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #2 - 04/23/23 at 17:12:57

Eegore wrote on 04/23/23 at 16:45:41:
"...
 What internet media providers Banned free speech in the US?

You do,
have a sense of humor !

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/23/23 at 18:04:55

You do,
have a sense of humor !

I'm not aware of any private internet provider that has prohibited anyone's use of a public forum within the US.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 08:26:54

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › John Perry Barlow

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.