Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Picking the best pistol caliber (Read 787 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Picking the best pistol caliber
Reply #15 - 04/11/23 at 05:17:12

Bodies can be quite treacherous. I got sent to the  er by the blasted ENT .  He said my BP was just too high. After three days in ICU and two more on a regular floor I went home. That was just a Coupla weeks ago and I'm having a real problem with staying awake and the last day it's Not responding to the meds right.. Might have to go back.
The Bersa magazine is stiff. Loading the first round wasn't Easy, I had to take a break to get number nine to 13 . Bought a loader and it makes it So much easier.
Not a round through it yet. Just haven't felt like walking out behind the shop and setting up targets.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #16 - 04/11/23 at 12:25:33

This sux, not having finger and hand strength enough to load a silly magazine ......

I now have loaders for .223 AR magazines, 350 Legend AR magazines, Glock 22 magazines and Beretta 96 magazines.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #17 - 04/12/23 at 15:40:03

You don't Hafta have a cheater for the River 22 pistol mags,but holding that little button down while you feed ten rounds down it gets Old.. And loaders make it faster, so I'm glad to have them, but I would sure like to be able to shove them in by hand. I had a Mossin Nagant I sold because I simply couldn't load it in under twenty minutes. PissedMeOff..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 04/14/23 at 09:58:21

I have a barrel that sticks out the front of the gun for an inch and a half.  

I have an extended magazine that sticks out the bottom of the gun for 3 and a quarter inches.  

This gives me like 2-3 pounds of extra rotational & anti-recoil mass that means my gun is VERY STABLE to hold and to shoot, with the firing recoil and muzzle flip being muted to a very great degree.

It shoots "touching clusters" at 15 yards and very tight 6" wide groupings at  25 yards with a good double hand grip.

There is no doubt that this gun can shoot better than I can.   Even the laser "dot wiggle" is noticeably reduced.

And with 27 rounds in the long magazine and another one sitting in the chamber ready to go, well, I have rifles that do not do near as many stored rounds that are sitting there all ready to go.

« Last Edit: 04/27/23 at 11:43:28 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 04/14/23 at 11:10:11

Sounds like you are set up nicely..

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 04/17/23 at 21:24:41

Lastly, my Glock 22 with laser is a cat summoner par excellence.

Turn on the laser with your hand over it so no light escapes and 2-3 cats will be at your feet about this fast.

The oscillator in the laser makes a noise cats can hear
, and chasing the green dot is a thing that the boy cats do dearly love to do.

My wife can't find her lazy boys at meal time, or gets simply gets concerned that they might have gotten outside ..... she can simply punch the laser button and watch them magically appear instantly.

Wink

« Last Edit: 04/27/23 at 11:42:44 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 04/18/23 at 08:27:48

don't give them a treat every time they are called this way or they'll show up expecting food alla pavlov's dogs.

and most likely if you never again let chase the little green rascal, they'll stop coming.

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #22 - 04/23/23 at 17:31:57

Sorry for the delay Oldfeller

When ya put your head down to see the sights ... the headphones hit the stock before your eye gets to the sights .    
But
Its easily good with the "in the ear"  type plugs.
Its an amazingly accurate firearm with the military type sights.  
Its also amazingly light to carry with the 17 round clip loaded with 10 rounds.

There is a guy that could be your twin on "YouTube" doing shows with black powder revolvers.  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #23 - 04/23/23 at 19:56:52

Mike,

The black powder dude is younger, prettier and nicer than I am ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #24 - 04/25/23 at 20:54:49

The black powder dude is younger, prettier and nicer than I am  

Huh

Well , I remember when you were Younger , prettier and smile-er .   Grin
Well
All except the prettier part !  Roll Eyes

I thought you had started making youtube videos .  

Most of the time my 5 shot 2.5" - 22 Mag. rides in my front pocket and a speed loader in the other pocket.  Its the top-brake type and looks like a little Schofield , but I have the target grips on it .

check this out :   https://northamericanarms.com/ballistics/
The "YouTube" guys seem to like the Federal Punch ammo

The Black Widow is the closest with a 2" barrel.   At 1300fps , I don't feel under gun-ed quite so much.
« Last Edit: 04/25/23 at 22:34:43 by MMRanch »  

RANGER-II-2_5-GBG-Bead-Conv.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 04/27/23 at 06:41:17

Glock pistols have lots of competitors now-a-days.   Glock itself has an aftermarket of a sheer size that is amazing to me --- it is HUGE and is also being fed by the "build your own gun" guys as all of these self-build clones are patterned after the Glock.

Glock's copycat aftermarket is easily bigger than the current Glock Consumer market by 2-3x right now.

Timney Triggers recently just did a Glock drop in trigger that is drastically much more basic (simpler) and much much better than any stock Glock trigger as far as the slow take up, hard pull and very high break poundage characteristics of the stock trigger go.  

Glock is now getting heat on all the forums for "30 years of not listening to their customers" and being a "no innovating here" company.

From all the strident noise from the Glock Perfection boys you would think that Glock just got goosed in the butt by a red hot poker --- "not reactive" isn't what Glock fans are .... that is for sure.  They all jumped WAY up high in the air, grabbed their buns and hollered real loud jest fine, thank you very much.  

Hurts, doesn't it?       Shocked    Roll Eyes

However, the Glock Perfection factory boys still haven't come out with any real changes to the stock Glock trigger, nor have they come out with a serious Timney Trigger aftermarket competitor product of their very own.  

Glock has tried this past year, but failed to change anything much and has further damaged their "Glock Perfection" image as their last "new performance trigger" was more of the same sluggish take up hard wall stuff.

Fixing things, not so much.

So now Glock is flat out catching shite all over the place ........  Glock is the Intel of the gun world now,  i.e. the falling down, embarrassing "ex-standard".

Part of all of this mess is the heavy police use of the stock Glock product.  Cops and legal beagles all over want a hard walled over 5 pound pull that is somewhat slow to take up the trigger slack, i.e. stiff hard long pull trigger for "rookie cop fail free" safety and general liability reasons.

The list of "out of the box" things Glock needs to improve immediately for general public consumer use is the trigger system, the slide stop release and the stock plastic sights.  Add to this list they are currently 3 rounds off the mark for 9mm ammo carry capacity ......

=================================

My wife will likely only pick up my Glock 22 only in a very high stress situation, so my Glock trigger stays stock.  

I can deal with the stock Glock trigger, and she will never ever get close to having the experience level to deal with any lighter of a trigger pull ........  

Tongue

« Last Edit: 04/27/23 at 12:44:12 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 04/27/23 at 08:52:30

One month further in does make a lot of difference.

Glock has now closely copied the Timney Trigger and is shipping it as their new newest Glock performance trigger.  They can do this at will because the Timney is just a modification of a Glock patented trigger (remember please, Glock patents have aged out and expired all around) so look for others to do a fairly direct copy the Timney (or a copy of the new newest Glock trigger as the case may be).

I bet this new newest trigger will become the standard commercial released Glock stock trigger for Glock Gen 6 which is upcoming this year.

I bet Glock does their copied Timney clone as their Gen 6 standard commercial trigger and then Glock has to have a brand new part number series for a POLICE STANDARD GUN which will have the current stiff, long pull, high break wall style Glock safety trigger like what they have now .........

Wink      ........ you DO have multiple markets with vastly different requirements, after all.

« Last Edit: 04/27/23 at 12:34:02 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #27 - 04/28/23 at 18:10:11

All the Glock pistols I've seen are too large to put in my pocket and forget I have them till the need for a firearm comes up.   The last thing I shot was a Carpenter-Bee that just insisted in bussing 3 to 4 feet away from me repeatedly , the "Dern-Thing" !  

I've got a "Black Diamond" seven shot 9mm that is small enough to carry and a 5-shot J frame air-weight.    I carry them in the winter when folks are dressed thicker.   I've got belt holsters that draw them close to the body and could wear them in the summer with a loose shirt unbuttoned , or a vest.   But the little pocket pistols are so much easier.  
One of my carry options is a Ruger LCP in a pocket holster and I've got a LCP-II that is the 22LR twin for the 380 LCP.    Ya'll know the CCI Stinger type ammo turn the 22LR into a "No-Joke" item against summer wear clothing .

So how do you fellers carry those bigger size heavy pistols when winter is over ?   Huh

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #28 - 04/29/23 at 07:13:37

I have had one of the first issued concealed carry permits in NC and the only use I got out of it was being ACTIVELY HARASSED by the local sheriff deputies and base MPs who would routinely (automatically) run my plate as I went down the road then pulled me over to see if I was carrying a gun in some sort of an illegal fashion.  

The street level people thought that was what they were supposed to do .......  their system had "alert flagged" me with a new code they did not even know what it meant, so they pulled me and asked to search me and my car.   Things went downhill from there as they had no warrant and had no probable cause other than their own system errors.   Fortunately, I never had a gun with me at the time.

This BS got old on the second run through and I protested loudly and then relinquished by carry permit as a form of protest (it was the only real way to completely stop the system flag thing).

Right now in my state I can open carry on my belt without permit or nagging flags but unless I had some known bad situation I would not do that.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #29 - 04/29/23 at 21:27:37

Even with a State Concealed Carry permit , I'm not allowed to carry on the military's bases , that would require a Federal Permit.   So yea , the MP's had a real reason.  
But
The State permit is a completely difference situation .    
In the Class I took , we learned the places we are not allowed to carry , like State Building , bars and restaurants that serve alcohol , county courthouses , school buildings and places that are posted with the "no firearms allowed"  sign.  

I was the second one in my county to get a permit and have never had a problem .   One time I got pulled over for doing 41 in a 30 zone and the officer ask me to let him hold my pistol while he wrote a warning ticket but then handed it back after telling me to "slow down".  
My TN permit is good in NC and most other states other than up in part of  Yankee-Ville and California .

But still Concealed Carry doesn't raise any eyebrows as long as the concealed part works , and so the small pocket pistol or "J frame" size in a good close-fitting belt holster works good for me.   If ya never go out of your state then it don't really matter anyway !  Smiley

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 02:58:24

General CategoryThe Cafe › Picking the best pistol caliber

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.