Send Topic Print
Won't start. (Read 138 times)
davidsc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Won't start.
03/31/23 at 17:15:52

So I've looked through threads and I've tried most of the recommended stuff. But my bike just won't turn over. I thought it was a suspicious looking grounding cable so I replaced that with the new cable. I also checked the positive cable running to the solenoid then the solenoid to the starter. I replaced the solenoid. I took the starter out. Took it apart. Rebuilt it. Bench tested it (worked on the bench). I replaced the battery with a lithium battery. And I even hooked it up to my car with my car running. None of these things worked. I also put the bike and gear and pushed it to make sure that the engine wasn't locked up. I'm at a loss for what else to do. The bike was running fine and I was out on a ride last week and I stalled the bike and I haven't been able to start it since. I also open the left side in the engine to make sure that the gear was not broken or there was an obstruction. Nothing. All it does is click, under the tank and under the seat. I have test the connections to make sure it's getting all the proper voltages, nothing.

Any ideas.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Won't start.
Reply #1 - 03/31/23 at 20:30:30

Quote:
All it does is click, under the tank and under the seat.

so the decomp is working and the relay is working, along with all the safeties.

Quote:
I stalled the bike and I haven't been able to start it since.

clicking starter and this says it's a battery issue.  use a vom to check the battery. if it goes below 10v when you're trying to start it, it'll never start.  lithium batteries don't use standard battery chargers, but if you have a lithium charger I do that 1st.

WWW   IP Logged
davidsc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/01/23 at 08:16:58

I know it's not a battery issue. I replaced the battery with a lithium thinking it was the old battery. Old battery is good. I have tried the old, the lithium and my car battery all did the same thing. Also all registered with over 12 volts. I have tried with 3 good batteries and the results are the same. I feel it's getting the juice need to turn the starter and when I bench test the starter is fires right up. I bench tested with the old sla battery. All it does is click and the lights flicker on the bike.

Thanks for the reply and input though.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 04/01/23 at 10:14:52

No bump starting with a car running... the alt can overpower your Savage electrics.

Test your solenoid to hear if it clicks... inside is like contact points, you can cut it open and clean them.  The click you hear may be the the decomp.  It's a loud bugger.
You should also be able to feel it click with your finger on the casing.
Best luck... Cool

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
twhitus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pinellas park, floida
Reply #4 - 04/01/23 at 13:53:36

the starter solenoid can click but still not make contact, they are cheap just kind of a pain to get to if you have large hands.

IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #5 - 04/01/23 at 17:54:12

I learned that with a Sportster I had.  I damaged the voltage regulator jump starting with a car running.  I replaced a couple batteries until I figured out what I had done.  Duhhhh me!

Serowbot wrote on 04/01/23 at 10:14:52:
No bump starting with a car running... the alt can overpower your Savage electrics.

Test your solenoid to hear if it clicks... inside is like contact points, you can cut it open and clean them.  The click you hear may be the the decomp.  It's a loud bugger.
You should also be able to feel it click with your finger on the casing.
Best luck... Cool

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/02/23 at 12:24:45

If I couldn't get it to spin over I'd hook twelve volts straight to the starter.

Recommend you have it in neutral.
Just because a solenoid clicks,that doesn't prove it's good. The internal contacts that send power to the starter can be burned up, you can jumper around the thing.
Make sure your clutch is not dragging at all. Don't let it get away from you.
You can also hook a meter up and see if the starter is getting any voltage when you push the starter button.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
davidsc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/14/23 at 10:21:25

I got the starter thing figured out. My neighbor is a diesel mechanic for the military and he was able to help me figure out what was going on. It was a grounding issue in the starter so we were able to fix that and then the starter was running backwards so I was able to fix that. And now I got the starter back in the bike and I can hear it trying to click over, but I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the gears from the starter to pull the engine over. I feel like they're stuck. When I manually try to turn it they all work and they're going in the right direction. But when I activate the starter, it's like the starter doesn't have enough juice to turn the motorcycle over. Yes, there's nothing wrong with the battery. Yes, there's nothing wrong with the electricity. I've already diagnosed those things.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 04/14/23 at 11:07:13

Early models have gears that get screwed up if the motor spins backwards. When you killed it, the motor may have gone backwards a bit.
What year model is it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
davidsc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/19/23 at 16:36:34

It's a 2001. But I think I got it figured out. I was able to get the starter fixed and there was an issue with putting the washer in the starter gears in the wrong gear. I can get the starter to engage and spin the motor, but then locks up. Pretty sure it's hydro locking. I pulled the spark plug out a little oil in there and manually turned the engine over. Turned with ease. Put the spark plug back in and it's lock again. Not sure what to do next.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 04/19/23 at 19:19:24

It's supposed to have a compression release. Check the left front of the motor and then the big solenoid that pulls it in. Make sure it's firing then check the adjustment to the decompression lever.

IP Logged
davidsc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/21/23 at 14:54:10

I was able to narrow it down to the compression release. The solenoid works and pulls the lever but it will only turn one cycle. If I hold the lever up it'll cycle several times. I don't know how to get it to cycle several times with the automatic solenoid valve.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 04/21/23 at 15:10:57

The decomp system is timed to only work long enough to let it get past a compression stroke. The starter is supposed to be able to keep it going after that.
You need to check, with a meter, your battery voltage sitting and under load.
If the battery is okay, I'm thinking connections, the ground on the right side of the engine is important and easy to take off and clean.

IP Logged
davidsc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 04/21/23 at 15:28:57

It's not an electrical problem. I've been working on this thing for almost a month now. I've replaced the starter. I've replaced the solenoid. I replaced the ground. I replaced the electrical starting wire. I put a volt meter anywhere you can shove it and I'm getting voltss. I've tried three different batteries, a brand new lithium, my car battery and the old battery. This thing won't crank. Before it wouldn't turn over I can get it to turn over. I can't get it to crank. Was solenoid engages it goes through the cycle one time and then it gets stuck because the decompression cycle stops.

IP Logged
davidsc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 04/21/23 at 15:31:16

Also, I can hold decompression lever and let it cycle, however it still won't start. I've tried engine starter. Also a brand new spark plug.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 01:16:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Won't start.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.