Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
So... I think I'm running a little rich. (Read 115 times)
Jeremy Pavleck
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

So... I think I'm running a little rich.
03/27/23 at 23:48:12

What makes me think that? Well, how about this:

The age of that plug? Maybe a few weeks. We're talking a handful of miles.

Can someone just please tell me what I need to do? I have a pack of main and pilot jets and I don't mind swapping them out. I just don't know enough about motorcycle carbs. I've got a Suzuki GZ250 that's as reliable as all get out and I want this savage to be as well.

I was noticing when I'd take it and get on it a little bit it appeared to cut out and skip cycles in the upper rpms. Then it wouldn't start, and the darn plug in it was just dead. So I threw in a new one and not even 2 weeks later it looks like this and I just have no idea what to do anymore.

I've even changed the jets and went 1 smaller for the pilot and main because I pulled out the airbox and am running a K&N style filter - do I need to reduce the jet size even more? I mean, I guess I do.

Bottom line, I'm getting sick and tired of pulling this carb out, putting it back in, pulling it out, etc etc so I'd just like someone to give me an educated guess as to what all I need to do to this thing.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: So... I think I'm running a little rich.
Reply #1 - 03/28/23 at 01:26:54

What have you done to it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 03/28/23 at 04:01:13

Do you still have the stock vacuum operated petcock?  If so.....it could be the diaphragm is leaking fuel into the vacuum line.

Pull the vacuum line and see if it is wet with fuel before you start working on the carb.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 03/28/23 at 07:29:24

check vac line for gas
check float height
how old is the bike
where are you located
do you have a dog

WWW   IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #4 - 03/28/23 at 20:37:29

It's one of two things:
 1. Someone swapped the main jet with the air jet while "rebuilding" their carb.
 2. Someone ordered a "Carb Rebuild Kit" from eBay or Amazon.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 03/28/23 at 21:37:15

Check your oil for fuel too , smell it. Petcock or carb or really plugged up air filter.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 03/29/23 at 08:54:47

Is this running rich issue something that recently occurred?  Has the bike run well prior to this issue?  Is this something that came on suddenly?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #7 - 03/29/23 at 09:51:43

Instal a 55 pilot jet and a 152.5 main jet, make sure the washer is under the main jet. 3 washers on the needle should do you good.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 03/29/23 at 10:49:19

What kind of spark plug is that?  I've never seen one like that.  It looks like it has some sort of shield or cover over the electrodes.  Can you post more pictures of the plug and provide additional info?  Maybe the angle of your photo has me seeing things that aren't there.

You might wanna try using a stock spark plug (NGK DPR8EA).  A severe misfire will coke up your plug too.  You might have a misfire issue rather than jetting, or possibly both.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Jeremy Pavleck
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/30/23 at 22:06:24

It's one of those E3 plugs - it was just the one that Amazon said was compatible and I could get same day.

As for the rest of the questions:

* It is a carb kit, but it's a good kit that ran me $45 just for a minimal number of parts and not one of those $10 kits that included everything. For example, the air/fuel mix screw looks exactly like the original, it wasn't one of those longer ones.

* It's got a Raptor petcock on it

* Washer is on the main jet like it should be

* I did go down a size on the main and pilot

* I did take out the air box and put in a K&N style filter and rejetted it one smaller than it already was - not sure if I have to go even smaller.

* There's no fuel in the oil from what I can see.

* It's pretty much been like this since I got it.

I bought this bike for $50 not running. Whatever fuel was left in the tank leaked out and around into the crankcase. The guy I got from said he had it running for a little bit but it was really rough. I wonder if he was running it with that fuel/oil mix in the crankcase and if he did did that screw something up.

I did a carb rebuild and yes, at first I used a cheap kit from amazon but then I redid it again using an All Balls kit 26-1705 see https://www.allballsracing.com/26-1705.html

Now, I haven't messed with the needle at though - should I give that a try? It's still using the stock Suzuki one with the multiple notches on it because it looked perfectly fine so I didn't feel a need to replace it.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 03/31/23 at 12:00:58

I'm not sure what year your bike is but you need to verify that the parts you are looking at are actually correct.  Just because the AllBalls kit cost $45 bucks doesn't make it a good kit.  Note that it says "for off road use only".  That implies that it's not an overhaul kit, it's a jet kit.  It alters the fuel curve.  That could be good, or it could be bad.  

If I am interpreting your posts correctly, since you took possession of the motorcycle it has never run correctly.  That makes the job a bit harder since the problem/s could be almost anything.  Given the condition of your spark plug, the carburetor seems like a good place to start.

Speaking of spark plugs, ditch the E3 and get the correct plug in there. Buy 3 or 4 NGKs, you may need them.

This is the Mikuni Logo.  Your slide needle should have this logo stamped on it adjacent to the needle size identifier, which should be either a 5C16 or 5C39.

Mikuni_Logo.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #11 - 03/31/23 at 12:07:30

You mentioned your slide needle is "stock, with multiple notches".  Multiple notches doesn't mean the needle is stock.  The Mikuni logo and size designator will tell you the story.

What year is your bike.  The early models used a 5C16 needle that had 3 notches.  The later models use a 5C39 needle with only 1 notch.  Look at your needle and tell if it has the Mikuni logo along with either 5C16 or 5C39.  A magnifying glass helps.

These are both genuine needles, early and late model.

5C39_one_groove_vs_5C16_three_groove.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 03/31/23 at 12:11:56

You mentioned you pulled out the airbox and have a K&N filter.  Make sure your filter isn't covering up this oval vent port.  If the rubber shoulder on the filter covers up the vent port it will block off atmospheric pressure to your pilot air bleeds in the top of the carb, and also prevent the slide from lifting correctly.

savagefilter011_markup_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #13 - 03/31/23 at 12:15:33

Have you removed the needle jet and inspected it.  It should be an X7 or an X8.  It should be silver indicating that it is made from stainless steel.  Tell us about your needle jet.  What color is it?  What size is it?  Keep in mind that even if it may have started out as a genuine Mikuni jet, someone may have attempted to soup it up (i.e. drilled it).

See how the genuine Mikuni part is silver.

Emulsion_holes_026_2_003.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 03/31/23 at 12:17:19

Verify that your main air bleed is not obstructed.  It's a very tiny jet (.021") in the mouth of the carb.  Make sure it's not plugged up.  If this air bleed is plugged up it will run rich.

Main_Air_Bleed_2_001.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 06:39:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › So... I think I'm running a little rich.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.