Send Topic Print
Spring Fever (Read 2566 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Spring Fever
Reply #60 - 05/04/23 at 21:45:30

Hope cables hose wiring can reach without problems , cause I think she’s gonna get some of her evil back. The bends on either side of the clamps are further out and when your over fork looking down , your looking straight down the fork legs like a race bike , the other bars hid that view.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #61 - 05/05/23 at 14:07:05

I was correct , the subtle change of wider bars has impacted the looks in a dramatic fashion. Can’t believe l didn’t do this years ago. Buddy of mine rode a stripped down Bonniville in a street tracker style 40 years ago and that bike was a massive influence to me , he still owns it. Low wide bars , TT pipes and a narrow aftermarket sportster seat and chrome rear fender. When I talk about shapes and lines , his bike has them all ! Now 33” wide  my old bars 29 1/2”. Gettin her evil back a little at a time  Cool

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #62 - 05/07/23 at 09:39:24

First dry day in a week , blue sky above , clean dry roads below. A perfect morning to disappear into the farm roads south of town. Avoid people and traffic , just me & the tracker. Some ram air induction to clear the head & a long therapy session. Maybe collect some data , but this is ride to enjoy  the big single , I’m in a desperate need of some  “Thump Therapy “ and an even greater need to get away from people. Time to silence the voices in my head. Roll Eyes

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #63 - 05/08/23 at 00:15:13

Wow a lazy 40 mile ride in farm country went near perfect. Perfect cool damp air, almost chilly , great riding temperature. Didn’t even mess with gps just out for a ride. Not as quick as the last gearing but has a sweet spot at 74 mph for cruising. The wider bars are very elegant looking and super comfortable. Tried to get in a tucked position , flat track style but that lasts for about 10 seconds before my hip starts screaming no way. She needs bigger jets , she’s gonna get a bigger carb with bigger jets. She’s a runner, kicked my butt in 40 miles came home and had to take a nap. It’s gonna take some time to become one with it ! I need to weigh the Flying Pig.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #64 - 05/08/23 at 17:57:48

I have come a long way with mine, but there is still a looong way to go.  Glad to hear you are out enjoying yours!

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #65 - 05/08/23 at 20:01:26

Thanks Sneeze , A few loose ends to finish up. I keep feeding it bigger jets and it keeps going faster. Now it gettin a bigger carb. Fuel mileage may suck(literally) but it’s big fun.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #66 - 05/13/23 at 10:52:59

Grips appear to be secure to the bars , used hairspray on the throttle side to plastic throttle sleeve. However hairspray failed on the left against the smooth chrome bars. Found paint thinner reacts to rubber grip and so far it’s as good or better than most grip glues. Yeah maybe I’m just a little paranoid about my grips after that one handed wheelie. Absolutely love the wide bars super comfy and look even better. I’m gonna use the same bars on my SR500 too , but in a 7/8”. Hip is painful when all tucked in so I just rest left leg on top of the peg near the top of my boot. I have to adapt and overcome this problem , just can’t hold that folded up position for long. Not like I use that position a lot, but after 50 years it’s just part of how I was taught how to ride/slide. I have to adapt and leg on the peg is working.
Sunday morning , early before it gets hot , cool damp morning air really lets her put down some good passes. Once it’s hot it’s harder to get that last few mph. Running only one mirror , that mirror causes an unstable condition above 90 mph ,  no mirrors , on speed runs , but bring it with case I get pulled over , tell them it came loose. At 90+ ya dont want a wobble , huh
Dave !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #67 - 05/13/23 at 13:23:52

Wobbles are not authorized. 🏍

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #68 - 05/15/23 at 17:54:19

Ruttly wrote on 05/13/23 at 10:52:59:
At 90+ ya dont want a wobble , huh
Dave !

--------------------
As long as you don't fall down...

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #69 - 05/18/23 at 13:53:36

Those new wider bars are so nice I bought another pair for my SR500 , next project after the BSA. In a 7/8” bar for the SR , Bikemaster Daytona bend , $29. In a 1” bar for the tracker , Bikemaster Daytona bend , ( fits Harley sticker ) $80 ! A whooping $51 difference and these were a good deal , a set of Flanders 1” bars $190 for a chromed piece of pipe ! I’m in the wrong business !      Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #70 - 05/18/23 at 17:06:16

LANCER wrote on 05/13/23 at 13:23:52:
Wobbles are not authorized. 🏍

Neither are Weebles.   Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #71 - 05/21/23 at 23:46:24

Yeah I’m looking for a mirror solution but I was thinking it’s all in my head put the mirror back on wind her up good ,not a wobble maybe a shimmy. Had a similar feeling right before a death wobble tank slapper when I managed to smash my nuts 3 times before crashing on the edge of the road. And I won’t ever forget that crash , on my BSA. Think those mirrors came off my sportster. Gone shopping.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #72 - 05/22/23 at 13:54:39

Another eventless 40 mile ride , so I did some 0-60 runs for cheap fun. Went by a builder friends place to check out his Suzuki 500 twin smoker , one of the worst handling bikes. It’s cafe style with long sexy chambers it’s cool I’m sure it fast , had to secure a chance to take it for a spin. He’s got 8-9 bikes , we met on another forum. I’ve sold him some stuff before. So he didn’t see what I was riding. So I kinda lead him in that direction , when he saw what I was riding the conversation turned for his project to mine. After a few minutes I asked him if he wanted to take it for a spin , he couldn’t believe I was going to let him ride it. He absolutely does not ride like me , a calm ,reserved, mature rider so my bike was safe , I wasn’t even worried about the bike. Now me I ride like I had 4 cups of joe and a bowl full of crank for breakfast , kinda like riding with your hair on fire. So he really really likes my bike even if it’s a tad small for him. So we are planning an early morning ride on the tracker and his SR500. After riding my bike he made a comment about building a Savage
So let me recap this , a nice 40 ride , secured a ride on a rocket ship , watched while the first person rode my bike , and may have recruited a new member fo SS ! A good day

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #73 - 05/30/23 at 00:59:02

Ordered seat pad & cover and new carb for the tracker. Put some small mirrors on , replaced some crap mirrors with some inexpensive mirrors. Well they look good and keep it legal (well just this side legal ). Found a replacement tire for that tire I had that got recalled. I still have the front tire . So I bought the tire , 2 tubes , 2 rim bands. Get it all ready for a winter project. She’s definitely getting her evil back , new bars and mirrors , new tires again. Photo shoot , naw ! The BSA TT bike is still moving forward , finishing rear brake before moving to the front disc brake. I fabbed a chain roller , too ! After chassis is done I’ll wire it , make a quick engine repair and in it goes , carb & pipe are waiting.Next up on the table 1980 Yamaha SR500. Better weather means get my 55 F100 running and sell it , bye bye!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #74 - 05/30/23 at 21:41:59

Ruttly wrote on 05/05/23 at 14:07:05:
Now 33” wide  my old bars 29 1/2”. Gettin her evil back a little at a time  Cool

This comment made me whip out a tape measure and check out my tracker bars.  29-1/8".  Dang, dude!  Yours are Wiiiiiiiide!

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 27
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 19:14:38

General CategoryThe Cafe › Spring Fever

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!