Send Topic Print
Spring Fever (Read 2567 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Spring Fever
Reply #45 - 04/24/23 at 00:26:05

First rides are always exciting , this ride fit the bill. A slow putt down the block & back. Love the big single , its is a compact bike. Straight to get a tankful then out of town , pulled over to mess with gps , tried to set for a speed , did a nice hole shot on the edge in the gravel but it didn’t work. So tried again , hole-shot really wound her up & that Dunlop grabbed the roadway went straight up in the air my left grip came off the bars. Now I’m on a one handed wild as$ed wheelie wfo in first the bars turned right when a I lost the left grip so I had to keep the wheelie up till I could throw the grip and then grab the bars  , straighten up then set it down all staying in my lane. Never a dull moment kept it wfo 2nd , 3rd  traffic , shut it down at 87 mph and was unable to reset for another run. Hard to set with gloves on I’ll have to figure it out. Bike was strong , brakes good , Dunlop 404s surprised me , went thru a huge gravel patch in an intersection , pulled clutch in she drifted thru it like a race bike. Carb needs a tune , she runs well and has no problems passing. Collect my grip from the road side and head home , hip did not like that wheelie , I thought it was cool I didn’t die. When I built it I filled the bars with silicone to cut vibrations. Done same thing to all my bars for years. After 6-7 years it started ooz a oily crap that ate my grip glue , throttle side came right off when I got home. Some crappy silicone I guess , I gotta clean out the bars and glue grips back on. Found a country style meat market today too. Ummm Burgers ! Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #46 - 04/24/23 at 20:46:54

Just ordered new bars and grips. Bars 32 1/2 a bit wider than 29 1/2 a little less cramped. For me wider is better. Gonna glue these on and maybe some screws too. The surprise one handed wheelie really put a lot of pressure on the hip when grip came off. Your first thought is to put it back on , by then you’ve crashed , but you still have to look at it in your hand and give it some choice swear words before you cast it aside. I did check all the bolts,axles,forks just not the grips !!!    Grin Grin Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #47 - 04/25/23 at 03:20:14

Never a dull moment eh ?

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #48 - 04/25/23 at 11:04:23

A very short ride , but I was out and about. Just some two way tape and packing foam for a seat , that’s how bad I needed to ride. Last ride was before Thanksgiving. That big single sure is satisfying to ride. Need a longer ride for some therapy , not only do I need to heal the hip I need to heal the soul !  Cool

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #49 - 04/25/23 at 20:45:14

Well Dave , I would have thought that 107mph would be plenty doable with your bike having the double "up" gearing and the better than stock HP.  

I miss the the torque of the 650 sometimes .   On the good side of that is that I drive like my age now , and the bike I have helps with all that !   Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #50 - 04/27/23 at 11:36:02

[quote author=445644565B48474A41090 link=1679852608/45#49 date=1682480714]Well Dave , I would have thought that 107mph would be plenty doable with your bike having the double "up" gearing and the better than stock HP.    Undecided

Me too , MM

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #51 - 04/27/23 at 11:53:21

They sent the wrong bars for the tracker. Sent me the bars I already have not the 32 1/2” width. Back back back , at that price. I can buy these for  $50 delivered. 1” custom bars are not cheap ! Cause they can hang the “fits  Harley” tag on them and that adds $100 to the price. Another reason not to buy/build another Harley , stupid prices.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #52 - 04/29/23 at 00:07:51

Finally found a set of bars , but I’ll see what they send me. By measurements , very similar to a flat track bend , the model is the Daytona bend. I ain’t excited yet , now I gotta fire the Sportster up. Nice n slow no wheelies no R/R tracks. Ooh a real seat what a treat !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Savard 05
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #53 - 05/01/23 at 11:19:31

Nice

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #54 - 05/01/23 at 13:42:56

I hope my first ride is only half that exciting, and nothing comes off!  Shocked

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #55 - 05/01/23 at 14:40:18

Definitely add grips to your pre trip check list !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #56 - 05/02/23 at 12:37:09

Still waiting on the new bars to arrive. Gave up on trying to remove that decomposing silicone from inside the bars , I tried alcohol,acetone,wd40,paint thinner,pb blaster. No luck , I’m looking for some freeze plugs that fit in the bars to just cap them off. I doubt I’ll use them again unless these new bars aren’t right. I had noticed I was reaching too far and bars seem so crowded , a bit more width & pullback should be  just what I need. Comfort is paramount , it’s not a comfortable bike but still you have to have your controls where you’re not reaching to grips or pegs.
Rearset controls bends the knees a bit so it’s not a touring bike for sure , but it does keep you in the aggressive body position.I call it the $hit n git position. I’m trying to get where I only need to slide my butt on the seat , no reaching , comfort allows your brain to concentrate on the ride and not  the discomfort, better focus , better lap times , better rider !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #57 - 05/03/23 at 14:56:45

Spring my as$ we got another 16-18” of snow in the mountains. Ski resorts planning on being open till July 4th ! It poured for 4 hrs at work last night. At least it delays fire season for a bit.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #58 - 05/04/23 at 04:14:57

Ruttly wrote on 05/03/23 at 14:56:45:
Spring my as$ we got another 16-18” of snow in the mountains. Ski resorts planning on being open till July 4th ! It poured for 4 hrs at work last night. At least it delays fire season for a bit.

No snow here.....but it has been light frost most mornings and we did get some hail last Saturday.  The daytime highs have been in the 40-50's.

I rode to dinner with some "Biker Trash" friends last night - it was 60 degrees when I rode to dinner at 5PM........47 degrees on the way home at 8PM.  At least it was dry and the winds were reasonable.

I have been watching the weather down in Suches, GA to spend a couple days riding.......temperatures at night are in the 30's.  It is  still too cold in the mornings to entice me down there for a few days riding.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #59 - 05/04/23 at 13:24:33

Oh yeah , new bars just showed up. Very near to the previous bars but wider tad more pull back. Not a true flat track bend but its tracker bend is low and is close enough for me. The wider low bend is a better look than a f/t bend , staying true to the compact look of the bike. A very subtle change that I believe will impact the looks. Got to get rid of those Dunlops , loose bobber look , get that , evil look back !  Gotta go do my 8 , be home late and be up till I can ride it.  Hope they look as good or better than the vision I have in my head. Seat seat seat seat seat , it’s gonna have to wait , again

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 27
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 18:17:24

General CategoryThe Cafe › Spring Fever

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.