Very.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Spring Fever
Reply #16 - 04/01/23 at 08:47:13

The Savage and the Honda TLR200 were both educational in learning not to overlook anything. Mock ups can’t be skipped , or you wind up with do over that leads to another mock up. Ah yes our best tool , no not the hammer , pen & paper , make a list for every mock up. Don’t overlook anything , make notes(new list) , some issues take an adjustment or two. Got a couple of items off the list and find the stand for it before I roll it outside for some way overdue sunlight.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #17 - 04/02/23 at 10:57:15

Roller set out front for an hour , lots slowing down to look , especially motorcycles. She’s rough but gettin better. Waiting on seal snap rings to finish front forks and front brake and a shock spring compressor , I like to remove spring from shocks to check travel , make sure tire and chain have adequate clearance in there area of travel. This is important part of mock ups , with no springs on shocks checking clearance and any binding , chain adjustment. Remember your chain is tightest when rear axle , swingarm pivot , counter shaft are lined up. After that find total travel when bottomed out , at this point you can make chain adjustment , go back and forth to find that sweet spot. When you’re satisfied with travel and clearances. Put springs back on shock , now you know for sure it’s right , there are no doubts , most important , no do overs ! She already has that rock solid feel ,  steers & rolls like a race bike. That and some little details too !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #18 - 04/03/23 at 01:00:24

I had posted dry weight at 310 lbs, well that’s wrong. All the road going B50 are 309-310 lbs dry weight. The MX model weighs in at a trim 240 lbs. I’ll be goin to Wallyworld to buy a couple bathroom scales to weigh the beast when she’s all dressed out and then check the Savage and Honda too. I’m  real happy with 240 lbs over that 310 lbs , possibly lighter. Haven’t yet pulled the trigger on that vintage Borrani rear rim , that may shave a pound or two , not a lot after that unless I start drilling vent holes in everything. But that’s not gonna happen.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 04/03/23 at 06:15:22

Ruttly wrote on 04/03/23 at 01:00:24:
I’ll be goin to Wallyworld to buy a couple bathroom scales to weigh the beast when she’s all dressed out and then check the Savage and Honda too.

A couple months ago I went to the Thrift Store and bought a good working scale for $5.  You can use just 1 scale if you put the other wheel on a 2x4 or something that is equal in height to the scale...so the bike stays level.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #20 - 04/03/23 at 09:05:09

Thanks Dave , Goodwill store bout a mile. Yeah I like the old mechanical style. I just read that using a bathroom scale is just as accurate as other methods +/- 1% for weighing motorcycles. I don’t think there will be much of a difference , my guess is 236 lbs dry.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #21 - 04/03/23 at 10:05:58

At a stand still , waitin on stuff to show up. I been goin at it hard. Take a few days to chill. I want the roller to be ready to accept engine , all suspension & brakes  & controls done. I have everything needed for the engine and it’s already on the bench. A quick repair and give it a Simple Green shower and in the frame she goes. Then it’s all details after that.
I finished the Honda awhile back , Tracker needs seat & horn to finish it and if I finish  Beezer , I will have finished 3 bikes  in a year , a first for me. The SR500 will be next on the lift table and I don’t see it getting done this year. It’s gonna need tires & hoses , timing & jetting and a whole lotta cleaning.  At this rate I may have to build the Sportster too ! I still want another lift table. Gonna take that opportunity when beezer is done is to dig out the SR. Line them all up in the driveway for a very special Kodak moment !     Shocked

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #22 - 04/03/23 at 11:12:59

You best be sharing that photo dude, when you have it.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #23 - 04/04/23 at 07:09:59

It might take a minute to get the sporty out but the SR. It looks like a pyramid stuff stacked on both sides and on top , bike covered in multiple sheets/blankets beneath it all , flat tires. Half the day , easy. I keep pickin at the pile , I got some time before picture day.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 04/04/23 at 15:56:23

Ruttly wrote on 04/04/23 at 07:09:59:
It looks like a pyramid stuff stacked on both sides and on top

I worked with a fellow that was a hoarder...and so was his wife.

When the stuff got piled high and collapsed - they called it a "Crapalanche"! Wink

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #25 - 04/04/23 at 23:14:32

Thanks Dave

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #26 - 04/04/23 at 23:26:18

I puttin up that wall of denial. I am a collector collector collector collector collector of all things vintage !
Hey it’s kept me out of the prison system for all these years !    Cheesy

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #27 - 04/05/23 at 04:47:35

Ruttly wrote on 04/04/23 at 23:26:18:
I puttin up that wall of denial. I am a collector collector collector collector collector of all things vintage !
Hey it’s kept me out of the prison system for all these years !    Cheesy

A Nobel effort that is.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #28 - 04/05/23 at 09:33:01

Bike building must be a passion for me  , all my other hobbies may be a bit stressful at times. Hobbies come & go ! It’s something I been doing since I was 8 with my first Nova mini bike , it’s like your favorite comfort food. It’s second nature , relaxing , where I wanna be.

« Last Edit: 04/05/23 at 15:16:24 by Ruttly »  

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #29 - 04/08/23 at 18:26:22

Just got back from safari, locating our lost chihuahua in the back yard that hasn’t been mowed since the week before Thanksgiving. Yard was trashed by all those winter storms. Finish the pool tomorrow , then it’s ready for some r & r , bbqs & pool fun. First mock up was successful. Rear hub has a bad bearing pocket has a tad to much diameter , I’m runnin it till I get another , then it becomes the spare. I found a rear rim that matches the front rim and also found a stock rear hub that’s been lightened & polished. The hub with new bearings and brake backing plate too. Trying to swing a better deal on the pair , they will work good together. All still vintage and era correct. Building an era correct vintage flat tracker isn’t as easy as you might think.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 27
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 07:30:59

General CategoryThe Cafe › Spring Fever

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.