Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Front turn signal proper function (Read 42 times)
RK-tek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Front turn signal proper function
03/07/23 at 18:42:11

I bought a 2006 Savage that has most of the Ryca parts, but some shortcuts were definitely taken. There’s some hacked wiring and ends left loose, wires twisted/taped together, etc. Can someone tell me how the front turn signals are supposed to function? Current signals are 2 wire, but stock had 3 wires. I have basic turn signal function now. I have a new LED headlight with integral signals that i am guessing uses one common ground and seperate power for the left and right signals.
In the wiring diagram, I see the factory lights are affected by the headlight high/low beam switch. Should the signals be steady on when running the low beam?
I pulled power from the gray and dark gray? Signal wires. I have 2 brown? And 2 black w/white stripe that are now unused. My issue is that I now have a no start condition. Decomp solenoid cycles, but starter does not engage and I dont see how my lighting possibly affects this.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: Front turn signal proper function
Reply #1 - 03/07/23 at 19:00:36

Last year I replaced all my signals with aftermarket ones.  I remember the wiring was a challenge.  Yes, the front lights are supposed to be running lights.  The rear are just normal turn signals.  The signals I purchased can be used for the front or rear which makes it a bit more complicated.  Perhaps, someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
RK-tek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/07/23 at 19:19:45

Thanks for the info. With my new headlight I don't think Ill be able to have running lights. It does have a DRL halo ring that I might be able get wired in. It seems that the Gray and Dark Green? Wires are power and the other two are switched grounds so running and turn can function. I will say that I did not test the cutoff brown wires before covering them with heatshrink. I believe these to be the running light ground. The service manual diagrams I have do not have a legend for the 06 wiring diagram so Lg, Dg, and Dgr are guesses of Light Gray, Dark Gray, and Dark Green

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/07/23 at 19:29:13

Not sure on the legality of turn signals integrated into the headlight, also I believe front amber running lights are required on motorcycles in the US.

IP Logged
RK-tek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/07/23 at 20:12:27

I’ve checked my state laws and I am only required to have a headlight, tail light, and rear reflector. At night time a license plate light is required. Turn signals are not required, nor are amber running lights. The new headlight is also DOT compliant.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 03/07/23 at 20:53:59

somewhere there's a website showing all of the states requirements.

although not all of the states are the same the ones that aren't are usually a-holes about it.

in stock form, we have front signal/running lights, rear signals, stop/running light, license plate light, head light.

the fuses are setup so that the lights are on the same circuit as the ignition.
no lights, no run.

I think running/signal lights can be either white or amber.

WWW   IP Logged
RK-tek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/08/23 at 08:53:13

Thanks Verslagen. I have a hunch that the disconnected grounds from the turn signals are causing the no start issue. Ill pull out the multimeter and Power Probe and start checking and tracing.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 03/08/23 at 10:52:04

RK-tek wrote on 03/08/23 at 08:53:13:
Thanks Verslagen. I have a hunch that the disconnected grounds from the turn signals are causing the no start issue. Ill pull out the multimeter and Power Probe and start checking and tracing.

Huh
unless they are grounds connected to safeties I don't think so.
grounds to signals have no effect on starting.

check your safeties
1. pull the clutch safety connector, with key on, run switch on, 1 of the leads will go to 12v.  
if not, check the switch, check the control connectors.
2. check if you're getting 12v at the relay small connector.
if not, check the decomp controller.

WWW   IP Logged
RK-tek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/08/23 at 16:37:51

I started pulling the seat and tank before I noticed the connector to my starter relay was loose. Plugged it in and the bike fired up without issue. I used the remainder of my time to i stall a white LED under the tail to shine on my axle mounted license plate so I am now fully legal with my lights. Thanks to everyone who chimed in and gave some insight.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 23:27:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front turn signal proper function

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.