Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Welp, my exhaust fell apart! (Read 335 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Welp, my exhaust fell apart!
Reply #60 - 03/24/23 at 03:35:03

jacobg98 wrote on 03/23/23 at 17:17:17:
Yep. It has Harley-Davidson stamped into the steel. It specifies that it’s for the XL883/1200, part number 65605-97. Is it possible that someone replaced the insides?

No....but they can take a piece of pipe and a hammer and drive the little steel plug out of the pipe.

There is a thread where I listed an engine freeze plug that can be driven into the Dyna muffler to replace a missing/damaged or drilled plate......it appears it is a 1-1/4" plug that is required.  It is not uncommon for Harley owners to modify the plate to make it louder.  The little round plug is supposed to be located in that space between the perforated holes in the center pipe.....the exhaust is supposed to go out the first set of holes and into the outer shell, then come out of the shell and back into the center pipe in the second set of holes.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1514049876/0

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1465527646/5#5

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #61 - 03/27/23 at 10:13:47

I am anticipating my jet kit to hopefully arrive today, I already have everything apart. What size pilot and main jets should I use?

Also, can someone explain the white space mod a little?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #62 - 03/28/23 at 04:09:08

och wrote on 03/27/23 at 10:13:47:
I am anticipating my jet kit to hopefully arrive today, I already have everything apart. What size pilot and main jets should I use?

My "Go To" jetting is a #150 main jet and a #50 Pilot Jet.  Once in a while a #52.5 Pilot Jet is needed to get the idle fuel/air mix correct.  Warm the bike up completely and while holding the bike upright lower the idle speed down - then turn the fuel mixture screw to achieve the smoothest idle.  If you have turn the screw in the bike should begin to run poorly...then back the screw out until it runs smoothly....then turn the idle speed back up to 1,100rpm.  If you can turn the fuel screw out more than 3 turns and the engine still runs smoothly...a #52.5 pilot might be better.  If you can turn the idle mixture screw all the way in and the engine still runs smoothly - the pilot jet is too big.  (The idle speed needs to be set low while making this adjustment....at 1,100 rpm the carb is allowing fuel to flow out the needle jet and will not allow you to make accurate fuel/air screw adjustment).

The white spacer pushes the slide needle down by the thickness of the spacer, and the stock setting is a bit too lean.  By cutting the white spacer in half the needle is allowed to move upward a bit and that allows a bit more fuel to flow.  You can use 3 steel machine screw washers instead of cutting down the spacer - you can't use brass washers as the outside diameter is too big....only the steel ones will fit.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #63 - 03/28/23 at 04:49:23

Dave wrote on 03/28/23 at 04:09:08:
och wrote on 03/27/23 at 10:13:47:

My "Go To" jetting is a #150 main jet and a #50 Pilot Jet.  Once in a while a #52.5 Pilot Jet is needed to get the idle fuel/air mix correct.  Warm the bike up completely and while holding the bike upright lower the idle speed down - then turn the fuel mixture screw to achieve the smoothest idle.  If you have turn the screw in the bike should begin to run poorly...then back the screw out until it runs smoothly....then turn the idle speed back up to 1,100rpm.  If you can turn the fuel screw out more than 3 turns and the engine still runs smoothly...a #52.5 pilot might be better.  If you can turn the idle mixture screw all the way in and the engine still runs smoothly - the pilot jet is too big.  (The idle speed needs to be set low while making this adjustment....at 1,100 rpm the carb is allowing fuel to flow out the needle jet and will not allow you to make accurate fuel/air screw adjustment).

The white spacer pushes the slide needle down by the thickness of the spacer, and the stock setting is a bit too lean.  By cutting the white spacer in half the needle is allowed to move upward a bit and that allows a bit more fuel to flow.  You can use 3 steel machine screw washers instead of cutting down the spacer - you can't use brass washers as the outside diameter is too big....only the steel ones will fit.

Thank you Dave. I haven't drilled out the plug that covers the mixture screw, it may be a good time to do so.

What size are the stock jets? I assume they are smaller than #150 and #50?

I am in NYC, which are only 30 feet above sea level, but sometimes I go to the mountain - just last Sunday I took the bike to the Pocono mountains where the elevation is over 2,000 feet. At times the bike felt weird, going over 70mph giving it just slightly more gas the RPMs jumped up immediately but the bike was barely acceleration.

My only mod is the Dyna muffler.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 05:37:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Welp, my exhaust fell apart!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.