Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Welp, my exhaust fell apart! (Read 335 times)
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: Welp, my exhaust fell apart!
Reply #15 - 03/09/23 at 16:05:03

pg wrote on 03/07/23 at 18:39:31:
Unpleasant is really an understatement., it will likely cause some hearing loss.  The dyna really has a nice note.  I ordered a pair on ebay and looked forward to putting one on.  

Best regards,

The new to me dyna mufflers came in.  I cleaned up the old header, put a fresh coat of bbq paint, a fresh wrap, and installed the new muffler.

Incidentally, the old dyna muffler was a straight pipe.  Literally, nothing in there............

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 03/09/23 at 17:03:00

pg wrote on 03/09/23 at 16:00:48:
Did that break at the front of the muffler?  The header pipe goes in about 2 inches.

Best regards,

I think I put a sleeve over the dyna muffler and the header, and the sleeve broke. I did a crappy job welding last time, I'll do much better this time, pics soon.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 03/11/23 at 04:33:20

Dyna mufflers on the Savage work well, look and sound good, and they are pretty easy to find.

For some reason they do not last forever on the Savage - the inside eventually comes apart.  They often rattle or the muffler flow gets blocked when the inside is broken.

If you have ever followed a Dyna muffler Savage at night - you can see the inside perforated pipe glowing red hot.....eventually the heat takes it's toll.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #18 - 03/11/23 at 06:02:44

I replaced mine a couple days ago and it was completely hollow inside.  Is there some way of replacing the baffle?  Perhaps a spark arrestor?  

Best regards,

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 03/11/23 at 08:27:31

Dave wrote on 03/11/23 at 04:33:20:
Dyna mufflers on the Savage work well, look and sound good, and they are pretty easy to find.

For some reason they do not last forever on the Savage - the inside eventually comes apart.  They often rattle or the muffler flow gets blocked when the inside is broken.

If you have ever followed a Dyna muffler Savage at night - you can see the inside perforated pipe glowing red hot.....eventually the heat takes it's toll.

Interesting. Mine didn't fall apart, its the sloppy weld that I made fell apart.

This being said, I don't have the original muffler anymore, or if I do I have no idea where it may be. However the original header I believe is stainless steel, at least the outer pipe. Stainless steel turns blue from excess heat, and when welding stainless and it turns blue its a sign of excess heat as well. I actually own a machine that removes blue/black burn marks from stainless welds. Apparently not only it is a cosmetic cleanup, but it prevents further corrosion when the discoloration is removed.

https://youtu.be/UL-wEdWYpxk

However, the Harley muffler is most certainly not stainless, it chrome plate steel. The chrome on mine is pitting and peeling real bad, and the header is blue, so I'm probably running too hot. I did not rejet my carb after I installed the muffler, as I have no experience with carbs, and I don't know anyone good enough to do it.

See pic from a while back. The muffler was nearly perfect when I originally bought it in 2016, there was maybe 3k miles total on the bike when this picture was taken, and the muffler and header are already looking like this.

In any case. I have already bought a new (used) Dyna muffler in near perfect condition. I will use a stainless sleeve to slip over the tips on the header and the muffler,weld them together, and sand to a smooth finish. I'll also try to hit the header with the stainless cleaning machine to see if it works.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 03/11/23 at 09:06:10

The Savage header is chrome plated steel...not stainless.

They rust when left outside for extended periods.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 03/11/23 at 10:08:13

Dave wrote on 03/11/23 at 09:06:10:
The Savage header is chrome plated steel...not stainless.

They rust when left outside for extended periods.

Must be a much higher chrome plating compared to barley. I suspected it wasnt stainless because the tip where it was welded to the harley muffler has rusted, but never investigated thoroughly.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 03/18/23 at 16:43:34

You guys are not going to believe what just happened.

I bought a new Dyna muffler (used but in near perfect condition). Brought the bike to my shop, we took apart the exhaust, and unbolted the old muffler and the header pipe.

I gave the header pipe a good clean up with a pipe sander to make it nice and shiny. Then I got a 1.75" ID stainless steel sleeve, marked everything out making sure the muffler bracket aligns with the mounting bracket on the bolt, and welded the new muffler on. Then I had the welds ground smooth and sanded with the pipe sander to give it a nice shine. Just look at how awesome it looks now!

And it was time to put it back on the bike and go for a ride, right? WRONG! Who can spot where I screwed up? I am so frustrated and pissed off at myself and the world right now, its unreal!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #23 - 03/18/23 at 17:07:20

Beautiful work, sorry about the collar.

Best regards,

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 03/18/23 at 17:33:11

Cheesy

Back on the chopping block it went, cut brand new weld to put on the collar.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 03/18/23 at 19:46:39

And all done!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #26 - 03/18/23 at 23:09:12

Nice job !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 03/19/23 at 05:44:31

Unfortunately the clean look like this was not going to last. I rode home from my shop last night, which is only about 10-15 miles, and I already got discoloration.

I cleaned all the rust from the header using my Metabo pipe sander with a fleece belt, which gave the chrome a nice brushed finish, but there were few spots where chrome is completely gone from the rust, so I sanded to the bare steel, especially the very end of the header where the old connection was.

The new Harley muffler is still shiny, and I expect it to last like this for a while, but the header has already turned blue/yellow from the heat. The areas where the chrome is going and were sanded to the bare steel, are turning blue, and they will likely rust once exposed to rain.

And the stainless steel sleeve, which is just a schedule 10 stainless pipe, is also turning blue from the heat. It is normal for stainless to turn blue from the heat, but its also a sign that the carb needs tuning. If there is anyone in NY/NJ/CT areas willing to properly tune my carb for a fee, let me know please. I'll ride to you.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 03/19/23 at 05:49:16

I can probably use a chrome heat shield to conceal the connection and hide the discolored sleeve and the area of the header that is stripped of chrome, but then I am afraid it will trap moisture and accelerate corrosion.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #29 - 03/19/23 at 06:58:37

He is what I have on mine and everything worked fine for almost 10 years.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I5AR5K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_titl...

Best regards,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 05:05:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Welp, my exhaust fell apart!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.